Sponsored

Rivian 1500w 110v (120v) outlet output not enough? My solution…..

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Waited to post this as I wanted to test this setup out for a bit first.

When I was having to choose between the Rivian and F-150 Lightning, one of the appealing factors of the Ford was the fact that it could power your home and the 110 outlets put out 7200w, a HUGE difference compared to the Rivian only putting out 1500w.

As I ultimately decided to keep the Rivian, had to come up with an option to have more power available.

Finally settled on an EcoFlow Delta Max 2016wh battery backup. It has a constant power output of 2400w with a surge capacity of 5000w, which is enough startup power for most things. Some things demand over 2,400w to get started up, but then run at less. Thus the 5000w surge provides the power to get most things started. At least anything I've tried thus far.

I wanted the EcoFlow Delta Pro 3600wh, but, it was just barely too big to fit in the gear tunnel. Also too tall to fit under the tonneau cover in the bed. It was appealing as it could be charged at a high speed EV charging station in just a few minutes and, could fast charge the Rivian with 3 kwh in an emergency. I could have put it in the frunk, with the floor lid up, but the frunk doesn’t have a 110 outlet. Don’t understand why Rivian didn’t put one in there. Great place for refrigerators and other things.

Ultimately, the gear tunnel was my best option for it. And I didn’t want to use up the majority of the frunk. Also, there’s both, 110v (120v per the truck) and 12v outlets in the gear tunnel.

The EcoFlow Delta can be quickly charged with the 110v (120v) outlet or trickle charged with the 12V outlet. I use the truck outlets for most things, but when I know I have something that has a startup demand over 1500w, I simply plug it into the EcoFlow. Charging it from the truck still allows me to use the stored battery capacity of the truck. Maybe not as efficiently, but, get to use most of it none the less.

On top of that, the truck is ultra-sensitive with what you can plug into it. Many things I try, including something as simple as a lighted extension cord, will “blow the fuse” or “trip the breaker” and shut off power to the 120v outlets. No such problems with the EcoFlow.

I found a "refurbished" one, which was basically new from EcoFlow for around $1,500. At least $1,000 less than an actual new one. Get the same warranty with it. The one I received looked brand new and charges to 100%, so it has no degradation. Assuming it was a customer return that didn’t get used.

The Max 2016w only weighs around 48 lbs, thus is easy to move to the bed if that’s where you want. It’s only 12 inches tall, so this one will fit in the bed under the tonneau cover. The Pro 3600 weighs in around 100 lbs. Many would need help getting it over the height of the frunk and down into the hole under the floor lid, gently. At 18.7 inches tall, it’s about an inch and half too tall to fit through the gear tunnel door. While the interior dimensions of the gear tunnel are larger, no angling or finagling will get it through the door itself. The bed is only 17 inches high with the tonneau cover closed, so it won’t fit there either.

So far, haven’t found anything that demands over 5000w at startup (surge). My RV air conditioner starts up with less than 5000. The generator in my RV is only a 4,000w generator, so the battery actually has higher surge power, thus is a good option to assist in powering an RV. So, while I gave up the luxury of fast charging and to be able to add 3 kwh charge to the truck (both things I’ll likely never do anyway), by not getting the Pro 3600, I saved over $2,000 on the purchase price and, the gear tunnel is a much better place for such an item. Fits well on the left side leaving plenty of open space. It’s only 19 inches in depth, thus still have 45+ inches (3’ 9”) of gear tunnel space open for other things. Plus, it's only 9 1/2 inches wide. Thus still some full width space available for a surfboard, skis or other long narrow items.

Here’s a link to my prior post with the gear tunnel door dimensions.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/gear-tunnel-dimensions.6016/

EDIT TO ADD 09/07/2022: One other benefit I forgot to mention, the EcoFlow screen shows exactly how much power you are drawing from the plug, both in and out. Very useful for me in identifying which items we use that push the limits of the 1,500w truck capability. I was quite surprised that the majority of what I do use, demands far less than 1,500w. The only time an issue potentially comes up is if we're using three different things at the same time. That's where the surge power up to 5,000 comes in handy.

FYI, this battery also has the ability to connect up to 5 "extra batteries", which double the capacity. They are different units specifically for that purpose, but usually cost about 30% less than a full unit. They're intended to just provide extra battery capacity. It won't increase the surge power, but, with one extra, you could have 4kwh of battery capacity. A second one could fit in sideways behind the battery shown in the photo below, thus would only take up 12 more inches of space. Would allow you to power a campsite for twice as long if you needed it. For me though, being able to charge it from the Rivian, allows me to use the Rivian's battery capacity of 135 kwh. So didn't see a need for it. I got it strictly for the surge output capability of up to 5,000w for when the Rivian's output of just 1500w is not enough.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 1500w 110v (120v) outlet output not enough? My solution….. 1662447837309

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 1500w 110v (120v) outlet output not enough? My solution….. 1662447861394
Sponsored

Last edited:

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Thanks for the write up. I have a feeling I'll need something like this to run our well pump during power outages.

Looks like a good solution.

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm planning to do something similar with my PointZero Titan, it's 3000W/6000W with a 30A 120V outlet for powering an RV, and the two AC chargers together draw 1450W when recharging it, so that's a perfect fit for the Rivian's power output.

I haven't yet checked if the Titan will fit in the gear tunnel with both battery plates (4 kWh); I might have to just use one (2 kWh).

[edit: I tested this out in another thread. Verdict: meh, EcoFlow Delta Pro is probably better.]

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian 1500w 110v (120v) outlet output not enough? My solution….. PXL_20210910_052410273

Last edited:
OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm planning to do something similar with my PointZero Titan, it's 3000W/6000W with a 30A 120V outlet for powering an RV, and the two AC chargers together draw 1450W when recharging it, so that's a perfect fit for the Rivian's power output.

I haven't yet checked if the Titan will fit in the gear tunnel with both battery plates (4 kWh); I might have to just use one (2 kWh).

PXL_20210910_052410273.jpg
At first glance, was thinking this could be a good option. Says 18 inches tall I believe, which would put it just a little to big to get through the door. Since you apparently already have it, you'll be able to try to see if you can get it through the door.

My bigger shock however, was the price. Yikes. $3,395. Pretty hefty price, Same battery capacity as the EcoFlow. Does have better constant output at 3,000 watts. But, also, more than double the price. The EcoFlow Pro has a 3,600w battery vs this one at 2,000, for about the same price and offers a 240 outlet and the ability to charge it at a DC fast charger.

Would depend if that extra 600 watts of continued output is necessary for your application as to whether this one has more usable value. And, for me, the big thing was being able to use the gear tunnel for it. Will be interested to hear once you test if it will fit?

Sponsored

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
At first glance, was thinking this could be a good option. Says 18 inches tall I believe, which would put it just a little to big to get through the door. Since you apparently already have it, you'll be able to try to see if you can get it through the door.
I think it might work anyway. The battery plates are detachable from the power module on top, so the effective height of each piece is smaller. I can take it apart and put it in piece by piece (which I might have to anyway, due to the weight.)

I was going to try it today but it's stupid hot in CA right now (110F in my area). Gonna wait until after sunset. I'll let you know!

My bigger shock however, was the price. Yikes. $3,395. Pretty hefty price, Same battery capacity as the EcoFlow. Does have better constant output at 3,000 watts. But, also, more than double the price. The EcoFlow Pro has a 3,600w battery vs this one at 2,000, for about the same price and offers a 240 outlet and the ability to charge it at a DC fast charger.

Would depend if that extra 600 watts of continued output is necessary for your application as to whether this one has more usable value. And, for me, the big thing was being able to use the gear tunnel for it. Will be interested to hear once you test if it will fit?
Yeah, I ordered it about 18 months ago, and it was a lot cheaper then (only $2600 not $3395). The second battery plate was $1400 at the time. PointZero is a much smaller supplier so the price difference isn't surprising, especially given inflation.

I'm planning to use it to power an RV, so the extra headroom will be important for running an AC unit in addition to other loads in the RV. And when I was shopping for this two years ago, the EcoFlow units didn't have the right specs to do that yet, and the expandable battery modules weren't really a thing yet.

The Titan also has a _much_ higher max solar input; the EcoFlow can take 800W but the Titan can take 2000W. I already have 1350W of portable panels.

How do you charge the EcoFlow with a DC fast charger? That sounds awesome.

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This is one of those things that makes me sad and happy at the same time. We shouldn't need this thing, but I'm also glad a solution is available.
Yeah I feel the same way. The Rivian doesn't need to have massive power output like the Lightning, but not having at least a TT30 (30A 120V) outlet for an RV seems like a big missed opportunity.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I think it might work anyway. The battery plates are detachable from the power module on top, so the effective height of each piece is smaller. I can take it apart and put it in piece by piece (which I might have to anyway, due to the weight.)

I was going to try it today but it's stupid hot in CA right now (110F in my area). Gonna wait until after sunset. I'll let you know!

Yeah, I ordered it about 18 months ago, and it was a lot cheaper then (only $2600 not $3395). The second battery plate was $1400 at the time. PointZero is a much smaller supplier so the price difference isn't surprising, especially given inflation.

I'm planning to use it to power an RV, so the extra headroom will be important for running an AC unit in addition to other loads in the RV. And when I was shopping for this two years ago, the EcoFlow units didn't have the right specs to do that yet, and the expandable battery modules weren't really a thing yet.

The Titan also has a _much_ higher max solar input; the EcoFlow can take 800W but the Titan can take 2000W. I already have 1350W of portable panels.

How do you charge the EcoFlow with a DC fast charger? That sounds awesome.
Unfortunately, the Ecoflow max 2000 I have can't be DC charged. But, the Ecoflow Pro (3600) has a J1772 port to plug into from any high speed EV charging station. It also has a 240 outlet for plugging in an RV. That's the one I wanted, but was more important for my personal preferences to be able to get it in the gear tunnel. The size of the 3600 is too tall to fit through the gear tunnel door.

That's cool that it can be separated into two pieces. Being that it appears to only be about an inch too tall to fit through the door, with there being more space once inside the door of the gear tunnel, yes, you should have no problem putting the top half back on.

Is that a 2000 watt battery with both pieces attached?

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
That's cool that it can be separated into two pieces. Being that it appears to only be about an inch too tall to fit through the door, with there being more space once inside the door of the gear tunnel, yes, you should have no problem putting the top half back on.

Is that a 2000 watt battery with both pieces attached?
The picture I posted is the power module plus a single battery plate (you can see the plate on the bottom; it has a long handle). Each battery plate is 2000 Wh. I have two battery plates, for a total of 4000 Wh. I'll post some more pictures later with both battery plates attached.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The picture I posted is the power module plus a single battery plate (you can see the plate on the bottom; it has a long handle). Each battery plate is 2000 Wh. I have two battery plates, for a total of 4000 Wh. I'll post some more pictures later with both battery plates attached.
Ahh. I'd have to go look again. If it's $3,395 for 4000 watts, then that's actually pretty good pricing. The dimensions I saw said it was 18 inches tall, that's what I was referring to as being just barely too big to fit in the 17 1/4 inch door opening. Not sure what your total height is with both battery plates? If it is just 18 inches with both, and is 4000 total capacity for that price, then that actually sounds like a pretty good setup for the Rivian. Would be a little complex getting it in and out, but at least you could.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Edited original post to add a paragraph at the end describing one other benefit of the battery backup generator.

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I created a separate thread about experimenting with the Titan. My overall impression is that despite the Titan having better specs, the ergonomics are better for the EcoFlow and similar units, particularly for using them in the gear tunnel.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I created a separate thread about experimenting with the Titan. My overall impression is that despite the Titan having better specs, the ergonomics are better for the EcoFlow and similar units, particularly for using them in the gear tunnel.
Certainly appreciate the effort you put in to test it out, as I'm sure others will as well. Thank you.

But yes, appears would be a bit difficult to use in the gear tunnel on a regular basis with the plug locations on the unit, effectively being on the side when in the gear tunnel.

Thinking more on it, the EcoFlow Pro 3600 (3.6 kwh) in the frunk probably is a good option for those in which having a J1772 plug is important.

I don't know if the Titan can be trickle charged by a 12V plug? If so, then possibly the frunk is an option for it as well?

The EcoFlow Pro 3600 can be trickle charged with a 12V plug. 3.6 kwh will provide some pretty good use time for most things.

As I noted, aside from occupying the frunk space, the downside to me was that the frunk doesn't have a 110/120v outlet to plug it in if you need to charge it faster. But, if you're using more than 3.6 kWh of energy, that means you're probably parked and unpacked somewhere, which in that case, I guess it would be easy enough to simply run an extension cord from the bed or gear tunnel to the frunk to plug in the backup battery. About the only thing I could image needing more than 3.6 kwh of power on a regular basis would be the RV air conditioner. In that case, means you're likely parked and staying a while, so the extension cord isn't too much of an inconvenience. I'm certain there are other things people will discover that would also require more than 3.6 kwh, but I think for most things that the 1500w of output from the Rivian isn't enough, the EcoFlow 3600 or 2000 with a constant trickle charge would probably last all week, assuming you were also utilizing the Rivian outlets for the things it can handle on its own.

Possibly some day I'll make the switch to the 3600, from the 2000 I currently have. I won't be using it to power an RV AC, so can't say if the 2000 would do the job satisfactorily or not? The 3600 almost certainly would. As long as the 2000 serves my purposes, which it has thus far, will stick with it due to the ergonomics of it being the best option I've found so far. I can still use the 110 outlets to charge the truck at 2 MPH with the EcoFlow 2000 in an emergency. Considering the 2 kWh of available capacity, 2 miles per kWh, would never need more than 4 hours to gain the 8 miles of added range to the truck in an emergency. The option is still there, just not as quickly as the 3600 or the Titan would offer. Hoping to never cut it that close to need it for such as use.

Just FYI, the ECOFLOW, both the 3,600 and 2,000 can be expanded as well. I think you can add up to 5 extra equal sized batteries to each, all tied together. So the 3600 would give you a whopping 21.6 kWh of energy available while the 2000 would put you around 12 kWh. If you maxed them out. As a home backup for power outages, such a setup is appealing. For camping or worksites, being that you have the option to charge them from the Rivian, likely such capacity would not be needed on the road.

Thanks again, appreciate the effort. I'm one that's always willing to make change when a better option comes along.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Waited to post this as I wanted to test this setup out for a bit first.

When I was having to choose between the Rivian and F-150 Lightning, one of the appealing factors of the Ford was the fact that it could power your home and the 110 outlets put out 7200w, a HUGE difference compared to the Rivian only putting out 1500w.

As I ultimately decided to keep the Rivian, had to come up with an option to have more power available.

Finally settled on an EcoFlow Delta Max 2016wh battery backup. It has a constant power output of 2400w with a surge capacity of 5000w, which is enough startup power for most things. Some things demand over 2,400w to get started up, but then run at less. Thus the 5000w surge provides the power to get most things started. At least anything I've tried thus far.

I wanted the EcoFlow Delta Pro 3600wh, but, it was just barely too big to fit in the gear tunnel. Also too tall to fit under the tonneau cover in the bed. It was appealing as it could be charged at a high speed EV charging station in just a few minutes and, could fast charge the Rivian with 3 kwh in an emergency. I could have put it in the frunk, with the floor lid up, but the frunk doesn’t have a 110 outlet. Don’t understand why Rivian didn’t put one in there. Great place for refrigerators and other things.

Ultimately, the gear tunnel was my best option for it. And I didn’t want to use up the majority of the frunk. Also, there’s both, 110v (120v per the truck) and 12v outlets in the gear tunnel.

The EcoFlow Delta can be quickly charged with the 110v (120v) outlet or trickle charged with the 12V outlet. I use the truck outlets for most things, but when I know I have something that has a startup demand over 1500w, I simply plug it into the EcoFlow. Charging it from the truck still allows me to use the stored battery capacity of the truck. Maybe not as efficiently, but, get to use most of it none the less.

On top of that, the truck is ultra-sensitive with what you can plug into it. Many things I try, including something as simple as a lighted extension cord, will “blow the fuse” or “trip the breaker” and shut off power to the 120v outlets. No such problems with the EcoFlow.

I found a "refurbished" one, which was basically new from EcoFlow for around $1,500. At least $1,000 less than an actual new one. Get the same warranty with it. The one I received looked brand new and charges to 100%, so it has no degradation. Assuming it was a customer return that didn’t get used.

The Max 2016w only weighs around 48 lbs, thus is easy to move to the bed if that’s where you want. It’s only 12 inches tall, so this one will fit in the bed under the tonneau cover. The Pro 3600 weighs in around 100 lbs. Many would need help getting it over the height of the frunk and down into the hole under the floor lid, gently. At 18.7 inches tall, it’s about an inch and half too tall to fit through the gear tunnel door. While the interior dimensions of the gear tunnel are larger, no angling or finagling will get it through the door itself. The bed is only 17 inches high with the tonneau cover closed, so it won’t fit there either.

So far, haven’t found anything that demands over 5000w at startup (surge). My RV air conditioner starts up with less than 5000. The generator in my RV is only a 4,000w generator, so the battery actually has higher surge power, thus is a good option to assist in powering an RV. So, while I gave up the luxury of fast charging and to be able to add 3 kwh charge to the truck (both things I’ll likely never do anyway), by not getting the Pro 3600, I saved over $2,000 on the purchase price and, the gear tunnel is a much better place for such an item. Fits well on the left side leaving plenty of open space. It’s only 19 inches in depth, thus still have 45+ inches (3’ 9”) of gear tunnel space open for other things. Plus, it's only 9 1/2 inches wide. Thus still some full width space available for a surfboard, skis or other long narrow items.

Here’s a link to my prior post with the gear tunnel door dimensions.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/gear-tunnel-dimensions.6016/

EDIT TO ADD 09/07/2022: One other benefit I forgot to mention, the EcoFlow screen shows exactly how much power you are drawing from the plug, both in and out. Very useful for me in identifying which items we use that push the limits of the 1,500w truck capability. I was quite surprised that the majority of what I do use, demands far less than 1,500w. The only time an issue potentially comes up is if we're using three different things at the same time. That's where the surge power up to 5,000 comes in handy.

1662447837309.png

1662447861394.png
Like the workaround. Thought of getting one myself due to frequent windstorm power outages in our area during the fall. I think the limited power output of the onboard outlets was a ridiculous oversight on a vehicle with such a sizable battery. Maybe they'll remedy this on my Max Pack!?

PS. Interesting prop/brace hahaha

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

PS. Interesting prop/brace hahaha
LOL. Was going to make an aluminum brace to fit, but that Nest Thermostat box ended up fitting in there so perfectly! Will eventually make something a little more appealing to the eye, but for now, it does the job!
Sponsored