Sponsored

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
My friend and I ran approx. 25 feet from main panel at back of house and had it up and running in 3+/- hours. About $175 in wire, conduit, etc. Gonna install another one in garage on Bear Lake.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here 20220901_153828
Sponsored

Last edited:

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm leaning charge point flex. For now I'll have my R1S but my wife still has an ICE. Even when/if she goes electric I doubt we will both need to charge at the same time. I WFH and barely put miles on my car.
I had a chargepoint pro. I used it but they kind of frustrated me a bit. I now use the rivian charger. There are pro's and cons to both of them. The chargepoint flex originally had the ability to throttle your charging using software, but they took that away. You have to call them to change your charging rate from the charger or do a hard reset. I had a 30 minute argument because the guy on the other line didn't understand what the amperage setting even was when I was running short on time and that is the only reason I needed to throttle up. He was trying to tell me I would void my warranty for running at the 48 amp max (which the charger is rated for and that is how I had my charger installed to handle) . That being said, at this time you cannot throttle with the rivian charger either. There is rather limited functionality on the rivian charger at this time. I think they will enhance and develop over time (at least that is the hope). It is also cheaper than the chargepoint flex., but seems to be built pretty well. I am going to be selling my flexpoint and using the rivian charger exclusively. Let me know if you have any questions. I only got the chargepoint for the faster charging, but honestly think the juicebox has more capability. My friend has one and seems to have a lot more options and such.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
Somewhere among all the bikes...

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_20220901_145238
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_20220901_145200

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Two Enel-X JuiceBox 40s. Each plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet, the two outlets are on one single 60 Amp circuit.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_7578.JPEG

Excuse the clutter - my garage is the opposite of DaveA's. :-D

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_7579.JPEG

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_7580.JPEG

JuiceBoxes support "load sharing", the two are set up to share 48 Amps (80% of the full-circuit's 60 Amps,) so if only one vehicle is plugged in, it will get 40 Amps (EVSE maximum) if two are plugged in, they'll split 48. (24 Amps each if both are trying to draw max, although the Arcimoto only draws 15 Amps max, so if it is one of the two, the other can get 33 Amps.)

That's enough for our three EVs, since it's ridiculously rare that we would drain all three on the same day and need to charge all three. Although there is a 120V 30A "RV" outlet in the third garage bay that I would plug a TurboCord Dual in to to charge the Arcimoto in the rare event all three EVs needed charging at once.

And yes, two NEMA 14-50 outlets on one 60 Amp breaker passed code inspection - with the proviso that there are labels on the outlets and the breaker reading "load-shared EV charging only"

Sponsored

gunslinger201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T and a '22 IS500 Launch Edition
Occupation
Professional Scapegoat
This is a noob question for sure, but is there an issue with having the box inside the garage but running the cable under the door to charge outside? I'm concerned about the weight of my garage door damaging the charging cable over time as it will come down on top of it as the door closes... Any thoughts?
My issue is that for now, the truck will be parked outside and will need to be charged. In the future, I plan to reclaim the garage as a place to park an expensive asset instead of store garbage... :)

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

This is a noob question for sure, but is there an issue with having the box inside the garage but running the cable under the door to charge outside? I'm concerned about the weight of my garage door damaging the charging cable over time as it will come down on top of it as the door closes... Any thoughts?
My issue is that for now, the truck will be parked outside and will need to be charged. In the future, I plan to reclaim the garage as a place to park an expensive asset instead of store garbage... :)
The only issue I see here is, will the garage close with the cable in the way? It's a pretty thick cable and I think the garage may not like that and start to open back up.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Can you do a something like a plumbing access panel through the garage wall for the charging cable and plug? Just paint match it to the walls?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elmdor-...d-Ceiling-Access-Panel-DW12X12PC-CL/204148731

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Unistrut Trolley to deliver the charge cable.

IMG_2689.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_2649.jpeg
Wow that's cool. It would take a lot of wire for me to get to the center divider in my garage.

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Can you do a something like a plumbing access panel through the garage wall for the charging cable and plug? Just paint match it to the walls?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elmdor-...d-Ceiling-Access-Panel-DW12X12PC-CL/204148731
There are devices you can screw to the ground that let the cable pass through the door. They have some of them linked in another thread. I really just want to cover my vehicle. If it fits in my garage and I wind up mounting the charger inside I can live with the cord under an open door for guests. If its outside it won't be an issue anyway

Sponsored

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I was determined to find the cheapest 32A charge solution on Amazon, and I am totally thrilled with it. Love the live power display. It also has a thicker, longer cable than the Rivian charger. Mounted between garage doors so it can reach front or back either bay, and parking outside too. Plugged into a 14-50 just above.

VEVOR charger
Cable holder

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_4485
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_4447

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
The only issue I see here is, will the garage close with the cable in the way? It's a pretty thick cable and I think the garage may not like that and start to open back up.
I struggled with this idea as well. This is my Rivian Wall Charger install. 60A breaker, delivering a smooth 48A. It's a very sweet setup. A tip of the hat to those here that provided the advice of how simple it could be due to the proximity of my main. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_0375

After some simple rearranging, I was able to back the R1T inside my garage - with barely enough room front and rear (literally inches for both front and rear). I will show you how tight a fit around September 13 or so, as that's when my baby will be able to show off her full Xpel wrap. Right now I have extremely ugly temporary film protecting the front end, and nobody needs to see that!

By the way, while everyone's operating experience may vary for whatever reason, I have not found it difficult at all to back into the garage. Even with the ridiculous tight spacing front and rear it has not been an issue. But then again, I don't have to worry about smacking into concrete. It does take a bit of practice, but the accelerator pedal is sensitive enough that even this old guy can do it with ease.

Last edited:

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here 1662119021691