Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Apple music has 90 million songs. Spotify is the next largest at 82 million. So I wouldn't say selection is not great. I like that Spotify allows me unlimited downloads to store on my devices for use away from cell coverage.

Sound quality is good with Spotify but could be better. They don't have lossless Hi-Fi yet, but it is coming this year according to their press.
I don't listen to even 8 million songs. The problem is raw numbers don't really tell the story. Netflix has a huge catalog by raw numbers... But it's fairly well-agreed that they've dramatically reduced their offerings of non-Netflix-produced popular titles.

In other words, the total number is meaningless. I don't care if you have 82 million other songs if you don't have the one I want to listen to.
Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
YouTube is probably your best bet for sharing videos.

The app is reasonably quick if I'm on WiFi. Over LTE it's dog slow. The rest of the R1T UI is also reasonably quick... With the exception of calculating navigation routes... That sometimes comes back in only a few seconds, but other times it takes several minutes. I've been surprised not to get a "timeout" error and instead it seems to spin for 5+ minutes, sometimes. I think this is all related to a poor networking stack, poor async/timeout handling, lack of non-cloud fallback for voice processing, and an over-reliance on a network resource that will always be unreliable.

FWIW, I've had lengthy discussions with Rivian Service, and they've acknowledged the network stack issues, including abysmal Alexa performance. They've suggested when it happens I should turn Bluetooth off (in the R1T) and then turn it back on. Surprisingly, this does bring Alexa back, temporarily. Apparently this recycles something in the networking stack, even though Alexa doesn't use bluetooth, itself.

I still maintain that Rivian needs to bring some voice processing into the R1T and off of the cloud. Apple did this with Siri, and it was a huge improvement in automotive use cases.
Edited to include video.

I've never noticed a difference in responsiveness between WiFi and LTE for Spotify or any other part of the UI.

Outside of July, Alexa is still by far the best in vehicle voice assistant I've seen too, not even close. I still remember the first time I saw it I was blown away how fast it was. Audi also had it integrated, but just like the music app, not very good. The caveat here is I have not tested the Polestar Google integration which I'd suspect is pretty good too. Or Tesla's, but even there I don't think it would have the broad reach Alexa does if it's a native Tesla assistant?

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I don't listen to even 8 million songs. The problem is raw numbers don't really tell the story. Netflix has a huge catalog by raw numbers... But it's fairly well-agreed that they've dramatically reduced their offerings of non-Netflix-produced popular titles.

In other words, the total number is meaningless. I don't care if you have 82 million other songs if you don't have the one I want to listen to.
I have had Spotify for a few years now. So far it has played every song I have wanted it to. That is what is important to me. No library has everything. I have had Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Pandora and Sirius. They all have Pro and Cons.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Edited to include video.

Outside of July, Alexa is still by far the best in vehicle voice assistant I've seen too, not even close. Audi also had it integrated, but just like the music app, not very good. The caveat here is I have not tested the Polestar Google integration which I'd suspect is pretty good too. Or Tesla's, but even there I don't think it would have the broad reach Alexa does if it's a native Tesla assistant?
Lol, just watched your video.... you're on WiFi!

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Lol, just watched your video.... you're on WiFi!
Just responded to the other comment, the experience is no different between WiFi and LTE. I never even thought about it because I've never noticed before, but also just went and did the exact same sequence with WiFi turned off. Not sure why 100mb/s (LTE) or 200mb/s (WiFI) would matter when it comes to transmitting voice commands....They work just fine on phones all the time don't they?

God news is we may have diagnosed a fault in your LTE components, because there is also no problem/difference for me in the Nav computing routes on LTE vs. WiFi.

Have you connected your phone or other device to the hotspot and run a speed test? I get something like 80mb down and 20 up through the LTE connection, plenty to do all of those things without noticeable lag when compared to Wifi. I could stream 4k video on it just fine.
Sponsored

Last edited: