Sponsored

Electrify America charging issues - More RAN stations because I don't want to deal with this nonsense.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
So maybe learn some people skills. It’ll go a long way for you I think
I don't think I've ever seen a comment here that amuses me more than this one.

Can we keep it technical, please?
Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Yes, the notion of social skills is clearly highly amusing to you :rolleyes:

Good luck with that kiddo.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
You have repeatedly made statements that you could tell relative charge speed by looking only at MPGe.
Since I never did that I asked to be shown where I supposedly did and got back the following as an example of "just one" place

They [the required charge times, hr/mi] will be directly proportional to the Wh/mi and, thus, inversely proportional to the MPGe.
Thus it appears that the problem is in not understanding what "directly proportional" and "inversely proportional" mean. What those terms mean is that the charge time is obtained by multiplying Wh/mi by a "proportionality constant" or dividing a proportionality constant by MPGe. As as formula

h/mi = k*(Wh/mi)

k is the proportionality constant and it has value (1/Watts) in which watts is the rate at which the car accepts power from the charger. Thus, in words, the time, in hours, required to add a mile of charge is the consumption in Wh/mi divided by the charge rate in watts.

As Wh/mi is simply 33700/MPGe it is plain that

h/mi = k*33700/MPGe

that is, the charging time is inversely proportional to the MPGe number.

Thus I must again ask "Where did I say I could tell relative charge speed by looking only at MPGe.?"

You have repeatedly made statements that you could tell relative charge speed by looking only at MPGe.
Thus the whole brewhaha has stemmed on misinterpretation of what I said apparently stemming, in turn, from my use of unfamiliar terminology.

Even you contradict yourself on that point, and I just want to make sure new users don't try and use MPGe as a basis for how fast a car will charge. Even you contradict yourself on that point, and I just want to make sure new users don't try and use MPGe as a basis for how fast a car will charge.
As I never said what it is supposed I said and have consistently said what I did say over and over again trying to make the basic principle clear it is plain that I did not ever contradict myself that I know of. If anyone finds a place tell me and I'll fix it. I have already added some clarification words to the post cited here.

..and I just want to make sure new users don't try and use MPGe as a basis for how fast a car will charge.
Now that I hope things are maybe clear do you wish to continue to give this bad advice to new users? They can very well use MPGe to estimate charging rates with the formulas in this post. Do you disagree with them? If so why?

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Thus it appears that the problem is in not understanding what "directly proportional" and "inversely proportional" mean. What those terms mean is that the charge time is obtained by multiplying Wh/mi by a "proportionality constant" or dividing a proportionality constant by MPGe. As as formula
And how does that explain this?
More to the point here is that someone comparing the Telsa models to each other or the Rivian models to each other or the Rivian models to the Teslas can get a pretty good idea as to what relative charging times will be on a road trip.
Comparing 65 MPGe (WAG for a R1S or an example, your pick) to the 90 MPGe of a Tesla Model X gives the relative charge time of?

The MPGe does have an influence on charge time, but it is relatively small compared to the variation from the charging power the vehicle will accept. The charge speed differential can easily be 7X, and MPGe numbers are <2X (usually much less if comparing similar vehicles).

MPGe, by itself, is useless when determining charge speed. You keep adding in the required other variables as justification for your statements regarding MPGe. And those other variables (and more) are required to get a picture of relative charge times. Looking at MPGe is not enough.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Now that I hope things are maybe clear do you wish to continue to give this bad advice to new users? They can very well use MPGe to estimate charging rates with the formulas in this post. Do you disagree with them? If so why?
With the addition of the conditional statement you added, yes.
But the charge rate is a much more important factor when looking at miles per minute. It is much more important to know the kW your vehicle will accept, how much the charge station can provide, and what the taper characteristics are for your vehicle.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
This is my current explanation as to why you keep erroneously accusing me of claiming that one can determine charge rate from MPGe alone.
And how does that explain this?
More to the point here is that someone comparing the Telsa models to each other or the Rivian models to each other or the Rivian models to the Teslas can get a pretty good idea as to what relative charging times will be on a road trip.
How does the fact that you misinterpreted one of my staements or why you misinterpreted it explain another of my statements? It doesn't. They aren't really connected except in the sense that whereas you didn't grasp the concept of proportionality in the first instance you wouldn't appreciate that someone doing the comparisons would use the same principle in this particular case to whit:

Comparing 65 MPGe (WAG for a R1S or an example, your pick) to the 90 MPGe of a Tesla Model X gives the relative charge time of?
Ceteris paribus the Model X would charge 90/65 = 18/13 times faster than the S because it goes 90 miles on the energy in a gallon of gas whereas an S only goes 65.

Now it seems to me that the ceteris paribus comparison is going to be of most interest to people the majority of the time but if you want to compare the charging rate of an S at a V2 to an X at a V3 that's easily done too. You have to put in the ratio of the charge rates as well so you get (90/65)*(Rx/Rs) in which Rx is the rate at which the X accepts charge from the V3 and Rs is the rate at which the S accepts it.

Looking at MPGe is not enough.
SHOW ME WHERE I EVER SAID IT WAS!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
At my place in life I worry more about post molestam senectutem!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Post haedos insanis for me

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
With the addition of the conditional statement you added, yes.
The "yes" says that you wish to continue with this position but the conditional clause seems to imply you don't. ??

But the charge rate is a much more important factor when looking at miles per minute. It is much more important to know the kW your vehicle will accept, how much the charge station can provide, and what the taper characteristics are for your vehicle.
No, absolutely not. The factors are of equal importance. A 10% error in either will result in a 10% error in the estimated charge rate. I'm not saying that the maximum charge rate the car can accept (AC and DC) isn't important to know. It is equally important but in actual life it usually turns out (I should add in my experience) that it is the available charger that determines the charge rate rather than what the car can accept. Turns out the taper characteristics don't make that much difference as is easily seen by simulating some charging sessions with different rates of taper. I've published the results of such simulations on the CT site.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
How about we keep this thread on track and back to my original posting. If you guys want to discuss MPGe or other topics - create your own thread!!!

More charging info from Youtube

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
How about we keep this thread on track and back to my original posting. If you guys want to discuss MPGe or other topics - create your own thread!!!

More charging info from Youtube

I watched this last night. As a non-EV owner atm, it showed me what folks have been talking about in terms of issues. It also reaffirms how important it is for Rivian to remove friction here. Cool stuff. Also, the Porsche looked interesting, but made me realize I want a truck way more than a sports car, heh.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
How about we keep this thread on track and back to my original posting.
How about we continue to post information relevant to what new drivers can expect on road trips when they take delivery of their trucks whether it satisfies anyone's confimation biases or not?

The OP seems to seek confirmation that the EA network is all screwed up and that our only salvation is if Rivian puts in enough stations such that we never have to use EA (or EvGo or any of the others). I think it is pretty apparent to anyone, including EA (who is not, despite what was said in the linked video part of VW) that there are some things, in particular with respect to the interfaces, that need to be ironed out. This is confirmed by the experiences of the guys in the video and by the anecdotal reports of others here and elsewhere. As I put in an earlier post the best place to get reports on the places at which one thinks he might charge is from PlugShare. My reading is that yes, you may have burps but eventually will be able to charge. Not always, of course but by and large, as the rest stop owner said in the video, while the chargers may be "wonky" eventually people will be able to get charged up and on their way. It's not going to be as it would be if you were driving a Tesla but Tesla had a much easier problem to solve and have had many more years to iron out bugs.

If you are trying to break a time record then every second counts and having to deal with these bugs will hurt you. Another aspect of EA relative to Tesla is that the Tesla chargers seem to be located closer to the main arteries (e.g. at rest stops, CheckRites just off the thruway etc.) whereas EA is often located at a Walmart. The blokes in the video mentioned this. The extra distance one must drive to get to them is, of course, must be taken at slower speed and so this costs some extra time too.

I figure that the best service I can give to a forum like this is to help the members who have no BEV experience anticipate what it will be like when they get their trucks. I appreciate that for them this is all unknown and perhaps frightening. I think the title of this thread was intended to be frightening and what I am trying to say here is that the current situation will not be so bad as I think the OP intends to project. The great majority of new drivers will be absolutely delighted with the trucks and while they may occasionally reserve some choice words for EA, or perhaps even RJ the joys of electric motoring will swamp any discomforts PDQ. Several surveys have been done which revealed that only about 1% of BEV owners will even consider ever buying another ICE car.

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I watched this last night. As a non-EV owner atm, it showed me what folks have been talking about in terms of issues. It also reaffirms how important it is for Rivian to remove friction here. Cool stuff. Also, the Porsche looked interesting, but made me realize I want a truck way more than a sports car, heh.
2 hours?!? I can't invest that much time to watch...what are your key takeaways @Mjhirsch78 & @RivianXpress ?

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
If you are trying to break a time record then every second counts and having to deal with these bugs will hurt you. Another aspect of EA relative to Tesla is that the Tesla chargers seem to be located closer to the main arteries (e.g. at rest stops, CheckRites just off the thruway etc.) whereas EA is often located at a Walmart. The blokes in the video mentioned this. The extra distance one must drive to get to them is, of course, must be taken at slower speed and so this costs some extra time too.
I used 2 EA stations this weekend, both at Walmarts and they were right off the freeway. I suppose in some small towns there may be some distance, but there are always restaurants near the Walmarts as well. In fact while in Flagstaff I ate dinner while charging and the freeway was visible from the chargers and from the restaurant. One of the goals of EA is to also make sure there are amenities near the chargers.

FYI I charged successfully both times using the EA app, had a minor startup glitch on one charger, but had it charging within a minute.
Sponsored