First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
Just got my quote from Geico. The 6-month premium for the R1T is $478, which seems low generally, but especially in relation to my Model 3's current 6-month premium of $868. Identical coverage, and this is to replace the Tesla, not adding a 2nd vehicle on the policy.

The Rivian quote is lower across most of the categories, but the collision is the most contributing, which is really odd since the R1T is higher-value than the model 3.

Maybe Geico doesn't have enough data yet on Rivian's so they have no idea how to price it?

I'm not complaining and certainly not going to question Geico on it.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The R1T insurance was lower than my EV6 compared to the R1T as well (With Statefarm)

Don't recall the details exactly but the difference was over 25%. I assumed because the the EV6 was classified as a sport hatch vs a truck.

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
Just got my quote from Geico. The 6-month premium for the R1T is $478, which seems low generally, but especially in relation to my Model 3's current 6-month premium of $868. Identical coverage, and this is to replace the Tesla, not adding a 2nd vehicle on the policy.

The Rivian quote is lower across most of the categories, but the collision is the most contributing, which is really odd since the R1T is higher-value than the model 3.

Maybe Geico doesn't have enough data yet on Rivian's so they have no idea how to price it?

Just called State Farm yesterday about my future R1T. $648 for six months, which actually is less than I thought it would be. (was hoping it would be cheaper but was being realistic!)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I just got my renewal policy and it's going up. I was worried this was going to be the case. I think insurance companies didn't know how to rate the R1T and we saw some artificially low rates (not sure why -- maybe Rivian did some lobbying?)

I fully expect rates to jump up, over time, as insurance companies are able to mine more data and repairing these vehicles is not going to be cheap.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Huh, I just switched my insurance this morning. I'm going from $700/yr for my Model 3 to $1,000/yr with the R1T through USAA

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Seems dubious that the R1 would see lower relative premiums. Anyone who has piloted one from 0-60 juice pedal to the floor gets their eyes peeled back and cheeks a flapping with some noticable G's.

Teddy184

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Occupation
retired

I'm paying $845 for an R1T and a 2021 Mazda CX5 through Geico.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I switched from state farm to rivian's nationwide insurance. Was $3000 a year cheaper for R1T, 2021 XC90 and homeowners.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I am paying about $900/yr for each 2022 R1T, 2021 Model Y and 2018 Model 3.

Recently moved to Costco (Ameriprise?) because Travelers had the Model Y at $3k year (3 times the other two). They kept saying it was classified as a "performance car" (it was not). After two years I finally said "look have been a happy customer for over a decade but your system is clearly broken if a LR MY is 3x the cost to insure of an 800+hp quad motor beast or it's M3 equivalent"

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Weā€™ve had no issues with Geico. My wife got rear ended when we had her Audi and with some pushing, they put brand new OEM parts back on the car. The other person that hit her had Geico as well, so it was still paid by Geico.

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
The R1T insurance was lower than my EV6 compared to the R1T as well (With Statefarm)

Don't recall the details exactly but the difference was over 25%. I assumed because the the EV6 was classified as a sport hatch vs a truck.
This is good news, I currently drive an EV6 awaiting the R1T. The only thing that concerns me is that from reading reviews the R1T's driver assist seems terrible when compared to the EV6; I drive A LOT, back roads and highways...

Side question, did you trade your EV6 into Rivian?

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
When I traded my 2019 MS-75 in for my R1T I was surprised by how much my premiums dropped ā€” almost 25%. Registered in Oregon and covered by State Farm.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

This is good news, I currently drive an EV6 awaiting the R1T. The only thing that concerns me is that from reading reviews the R1T's driver assist seems terrible when compared to the EV6; I drive A LOT, back roads and highways...

Side question, did you trade your EV6 into Rivian?
Yeah that is right, I preferred the ADAS on the EV6 because it was available anywhere it could see the lines and then the lane changes, interface and reliability.

I did not trade the EV6 in, I didnā€™t even have the title yet. I tried selling it myself between forum posts and autotrader and didnā€™t have a lot of luck but then I called around to the local Kia dealerships and one was willing to meet my price which was nice because they took care of the lien and other things which made it easy. Carvana gave a decent offer as well.

With the low inventory for EV6 models out there you shouldnā€™t have any trouble finding a buyer (assuming you can swing both at the same time). I in some ways regret selling it.
Sponsored