Sponsored

Anyone have reservation for competitor EV? (Cybertruck, Lordstown Endurance, Atlis, Hummer, etc.)

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Not sure how to post a poll, but I was curious if anyone has other reservations for other EV's? Cyber truck, Lordstown Endurance $53K or Atlis or Hummer or others?

Keeping an eye on the Endurance right now.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I have a CT reservation, but don't think I'll follow through with purchase. Cool but ugly, and still not a viable replacement for my diesel HD truck.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I have a CT reservation, but don't think I'll follow through with purchase. Cool but ugly, and still not a viable replacement for my diesel HD truck.
Same situation with me except I’m even more certain that I won’t purchase. Just haven’t gotten around to asking for my $50 back. I never really intended to purchase one, and mostly did the deposit because as a current Tesla owner I got to jump in the front of the line. I thought if they turned out to be super popular with a multi-year backlog of orders, then I might buy one and flip it for a small profit. That doesn’t appear to be the case.

OP
OP
Gearhead500

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
CT at that price point seems to be an aggressive protect share play from Tesla but just a fugly truck IMO

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I had a reservation for CT but could not get over the fugliness. Spec are out of sight but I just could not see myself driving it.

Sponsored

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Not sure how to post a poll, but I was curious if anyone has other reservations for other EV's? Cyber truck, Lordstown Endurance $53K or Atlis or Hummer or others?

The hummer is twice the price of the cybertruck and Rivian with similar specs. Complete non starter for most people, $100k for dual motors?! Contrast that to the ct and r1s with 3-4 motors and top acceleration trim at $70k.

The Lordstown is cheap, but not cheaper than the cybertruck for the performance you get, 80mph will barely keep up on the interstate and you'll be snail walking past big rigs. Those hub motors promise great things but may be impossible to deliver or have too many compromises, especially as a consumer vehicle (what if the ride quality is horrible due to the (likely) very high unsprung weight... ), and those 100k claimed orders are just unpaid fleet reservations.

The Atlis is promising the moon, and may eventually deliver something useful in a couple years, after Tesla and Rivian already have their refreshed vehicles coming out.

The cybertruck and R1s both deliver neck snapping acceleration, plenty of power, and have running, driving, test vehicles in the real world, with Rivian actually having driven tens of thousands of test miles already.

All that being said, I have a cybertruck and r1s reservation. I'm excited to see what Tesla brings with the crazy thick stainless steel unibody thing once it gets to production, but in reality I expect my r1s launch edition to be available half a year before the cybertruck so thats what I'll likely end up with.

Last edited:

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I have a Hummer EV reservation, it is looking better everyday. For me it is not about cost, purely about features.

I am now considering changing my R1T fully loaded to a R1S Explorer for my wife, then I will get the Hummer.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
No need to....?

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent

I also have CT just have not gotten around to asking for the refund yet. Just morbidly curious at this point.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The hummer is twice the price of the cybertruck and Rivian with similar specs. Complete non starter for most people, $100k for dual motors?! Contrast that to the ct and r1s with 3-4 motors and top acceleration trim at $70k.

The Lordstown is cheap, but not cheaper than the cybertruck for the performance you get, 80mph will barely keep up on the interstate and you'll be snail walking past big rigs. Those hub motors promise great things but may be impossible to deliver or have too many compromises, especially as a consumer vehicle (what if the ride quality is horrible due to the (likely) very high unsprung weight... ), and those 100k claimed orders are just unpaid fleet reservations.

The Atlis is promising the moon, and may eventually deliver something useful in a couple years, after Tesla and Rivian already have their refreshed vehicles coming out.

The cybertruck and R1s both deliver neck snapping acceleration, plenty of power, and have running, driving, test vehicles in the real world, with Rivian actually having driven tens of thousands of test miles already.

All that being said, I have a cybertruck and r1s reservation. I'm excited to see what Tesla brings with the crazy thick stainless steel unibody thing once it gets to production, but in reality I expect my r1s launch edition to be available half a year before the cybertruck so thats what I'll likely end up with.
I’ll add the Bollinger to that list. I was super early on their list (no deposit required initially) and was really impressed with the specs. But when they finally went to official “reveal” and started taking deposits, the price went for $60-80k to $125k. I reserved a Rivian the next day. Not only was I reluctant to pay that amount for a very capable, but also very utilitarian vehicle, it made me seriously question the viability of the company and the support/service options I could expect with what quickly turned into an extreme niche vehicle. Rivian, IMO, has really hit a sweet spot of decent sized consumer market, super strong financial backing and a great vehicle! Doesn’t have the offroad capability of the Bollinger or Hummer, but their price point is at a much better place to make them viable. And far more “consumable” than that ugly-ass CT, regardless of how cheap Tesla is trying to sell them at!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gearhead500

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
I have a Hummer EV reservation, it is looking better everyday. For me it is not about cost, purely about features.

I am now considering changing my R1T fully loaded to a R1S Explorer for my wife, then I will get the Hummer.
Can I ask what feature made you switch?

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Can I ask what feature made you switch?
I have not actually switched yet, but still have reservations for both. My biggest issue with Rivian is the delay in the 400 pack after promising it first. If I now have to wait until last half of 2022 to also get the removeable roof, why did I make an early reservation? They have disappointed me. I see these advantages for Rivian:

1) 4 motors
2) Gear tunnel
3) Better range (400 versus 350, but still no EPA for either one)
4) Camp Kitchen (nice to have)

But I see these advantages for Hummer:

1) Multipro tailgate
2) 350KW charging
3) Rock sliders
4) Under body cameras
5) Super Cruise
6) Well established servicing
7) They support Sirius XM radio and Apple Carplay
8) Removable roof available immediately
9) I think the Hummer looks better than the Rivian

For me, cost is not a factor, I am only interested in features. This truck will be my retirement dream vehicle, which I will keep for many years. And to be honest, the price is not that different, my current R1T configuraiton is at $95K without the removable roof option.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have not actually switched yet, but still have reservations for both. My biggest issue with Rivian is the delay in the 400 pack after promising it first. If I now have to wait until last half of 2022 to also get the removeable roof, why did I make an early reservation? They have disappointed me. I see these advantages for Rivian:

1) 4 motors
2) Gear tunnel
3) Better range (400 versus 350, but still no EPA for either one)
4) Camp Kitchen (nice to have)

But I see these advantages for Hummer:

1) Multipro tailgate
2) 350KW charging
3) Rock sliders
4) Under body cameras
5) Super Cruise
6) Well established servicing
7) They support Sirius XM radio and Apple Carplay
8) Removable roof available immediately
9) I think the Hummer looks better than the Rivian

For me, cost is not a factor, I am only interested in features. This truck will be my retirement dream vehicle, which I will keep for many years. And to be honest, the price is not that different, my current R1T configuraiton is at $95K without the removable roof option.
Agree with your points, although some things like XM aren’t big issues for me. I really like the looks and advertised capabilities of the Hummer. But is it worth almost $50k (50%) more when you factor in the tax credit? That’s a gap I’m struggling to cross. Existing servicing infrastructure is a huge advantage for the big auto companies though.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I reserved a CT when they began taking reservations. As others have noted, some of the specs and functionality are impressive - but the looks!?! As we get closer to R1T launch my interest in the CT has been steadily decreasing.

If the price of the Hummer was 40K less I would be torn between it and the R1T. But currently it's not, so it's off the table.

Hoping for late Summer delivery of the R1T. I doubt if anything else will sway me away from it at this point...

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Agree with your points, although some things like XM aren’t big issues for me. I really like the looks and advertised capabilities of the Hummer. But is it worth almost $50k (50%) more when you factor in the tax credit? That’s a gap I’m struggling to cross. Existing servicing infrastructure is a huge advantage for the big auto companies though.
It will be the end of this year before I actually make a final decision. By then, the EPA range numbers will be out, and I expect to be able to test drive both. My local GMC dealer got to order one of the early Hummers, so they will have one for test drives. Of course no word yet on when or where I can actually test drive a Rivian.
Sponsored