First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
The good news: I took delivery of my new R1T in Atlanta today and drove it back to the Asheville, NC, area averaging 2.45 mi/KWh without trying too hard to maximize economy. I was demonstrating its features and had something weird happen with the frunk: while it opened automatically as it should, the frunk lid would *NOT* close automatically - it came close to closing and then popped back up. I had to close it manually. Is this normal? Did I miss a setting?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've only seen that if there is something obstructing it from closing all the way. Are you pressing the button and watching it close? I'm not sure if holding the button would change the behavior, but I don't do it that way.

Are you able to close it by hand without hitting one of the close buttons?

OP
OP

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Pressing the button (fob or grill) sees it *ALMOST* close and then pop back up like there's an obstruction but there's not. If I grab the frunk lid and close it manually all is well.

GangWarily

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer
I had the opposite issue where it would begin to open and slam back down with "Object Detected" message.

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Make sure you don’t have the second level cover folded vertically up. It is held in place with magnets and if it is open to allow access to the shallow storage unit below it, the frunk lid will not close. I felt like an idiot until I realized this.

Sponsored

OP
OP

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Aha! That is EXACTLY what was happening. I was showing off the R1T to friends and then the frunk wouldn’t close. It was thiiiiiiis close to embarrassing.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
IT's only normal in that it happens to a lot of us. I have the same problem where it won't open sometimes or it doesn't want to fully close sometimes. usually a few tries and it works, but I'll have them look at it next time it's in for service.

HimuraMOdo

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blue R1T Adventure+22" ; 14 Durango
Occupation
Engineer
So I just found out that I have the same issue, but not because of the second level cover being up in vertical position. I didn't have the issue before the software update though. I did tried reset the system but not helping. Not sure what's causing it. I have the ticket filed for that. Hopefully Rivian can figure out what's causing it.

OP
OP

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Of course, I discovered that I could dispense with the behavior by manually shutting the frunk lid.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Make sure you don’t have the second level cover folded vertically up. It is held in place with magnets and if it is open to allow access to the shallow storage unit below it, the frunk lid will not close. I felt like an idiot until I realized this.
That's odd, I'm 99% sure I've used the auto close while that divider is folded up

Sponsored

Eugene Tay

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T LE, 2022 BMW X3 M40i
Occupation
Tech Sales Director
I too have this problem. I found that if I close from when it is fully open, it will bound back near the latch and say "Object detected". If I interrupt the closing, and only let it close half way down, then try and close again, it will close without any issues and the velocity of the frunk lid is slow.

I am guessing that the velocity of which the frunk lid reaches when it get to the latch to close might be too fast and hence causing the error.

OP
OP

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
At this time, my frunk lid NEVER closes automatically - it closes and then bounces back up. I’ve given up and just grab the lid and close it manually.

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Chemist
My frunk started this behavior after a car wash. Can only close it manually. I have done a reset and the behavior remains. I will check the seating of the interior lid and check the speed. And yes, I also put in a ticket for the issue.
I will report back with my findings.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
There are adjustments in there to be made as well. When mine pulls down to latch, it doesn't "quite" compress the seal enough on the left side, leaving a gap as the hood line is now misaligned. If it ever rained around here, it might leak as well, but I don't know. This is a "new development".

The roving mobile tech is due out on Tuesday, and this is on his list. Service rep on phone said "yeah, that's an easy fix"
Sponsored