Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I agree, I loved my Ridgeline. I miss a lot of the same features mentioned for the RAM by OP:

- Flat floor in the back with the seat up
- Sunroof that opens
- Rear window that opens
- Apple Carplay

Definitely not a high end truck but driving a Nissan Frontier rental while my R1T is in the shop and it is brutal, even with Carplay. I honestly feel like the difference is the equivalent of going from a modern ICE truck to a classic without power steering or fuel injection when going from the R1T to the Frontier.
Good to know, as I'm going to be coming from an Xterra having driven it for 12 years, and the interior etc is nearly identical to the previous Frontier design. I think the thing I most look forward to, is the buttery suspension (by comparison) and a few more automated creature comforts.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

KiloV

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Cabriolet, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Executive
Will I derail the conversation if I bring up my Ridgeline? Is that a truck? Or an Accord with a bed?
Things I miss about my RIdgeline:

1. The swing-aside tailgate was the best!
2. The flip-up back seats were damn handy.
3. The bed extender allowed the bed to be configured a few different and useful ways.

It was nerdy and a bit too small; but a good truck.

The Rivian waaay faster, cooler, more luxurious, etc, etc, etc.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
@KiloV, @CommodoreAmiga, @mikehmb

I believe the answer is yes, I will derail the conversation. 11 replies since, only 2 brought up the R1T, but 3 brought up the Ridgeline.

On that note, if there was an EV Ridgeline. I’m not sure I would have bought the Rivian…that swing out tailgate is one of my favorite things.

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I think I like almost everything about the R1T more than my 1500 limited except the keys and the bed of the truck. The R1T is not a truck, its a toy with a toy bed not meant for actually hauling shit. I've already broken the tailgate cap less than a week into owning and obviously the tonneau cover sucks.

Hopefully they get proximity unlock with a fob to work but I can't understand why they invented a novel solution to a problem that didn't exist with these damn keys.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
My one and only previous truck was a beater white Ford Ranger. Bought it while stationed out of the country. I think it was a 97 or 98. The perfect vehicle for my 1 mile ride to work, and to the beach for shore dives every weekend. I'm sure the bed was smaller than the Rivian, but fit our scuba gear in the tubs just right. Sitting on the tailgate could be a bit iffy not knowing if it would collapse. It was a 2 seater, so no comparison for a back seat. I laugh when I see all of the proclamations of the Maverick and Santa Cruz being this "revolutionary" new category of small truck. They both dwarf my old Ranger. The current Ranger dwarfs the old 150s. The ridiculous size of the current "full" size trucks exceeded my interest several years ago. If I had to make a list of things I liked about the Rivian over my old Ranger, it would be a very short list. Everything.
(But man that old Dodge on the 1st page made my Ranger look like a luxury truck)

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Mine (WOO! ORDER LOCKED, 8 STEPS COMPLETE YESTERDAY!) will be replacing my 1996 F-250 Powerstroke (extended cab, longbed, manual transmission, RWD, 7.3 liter turbodiesel.)

The pickup's primary duty is "camping hauler" - first a pickup bed camper, now a 25' travel trailer. Rivian will replace that, while also being a good daily driver.

Sadly, my uncle was driving to my part of the country from his - and had his '99 Ford F-250 stolen in Las Vegas. LVPD don't expect him to get it back, so he rented a car to continue the drive. He knew we were going to be getting a Rivian soon, so he has expressed interesting in buying our truck. So looks like we already have a buyer lined up - hopefully the Rivian delivery is on the shorter time from 8-steps-complete-and-deposit-accepted!

If my R1T arrives while he's still here, I'll get pics of them side-by-side.

Rivian R1T R1S Comparing your R1T to your previous truck (1500 Limited in my case) IMG_7105.JPEG
Rivian R1T R1S Comparing your R1T to your previous truck (1500 Limited in my case) IMG_7107.JPEG
Rivian R1T R1S Comparing your R1T to your previous truck (1500 Limited in my case) IMG_7108.JPEG
Rivian R1T R1S Comparing your R1T to your previous truck (1500 Limited in my case) IMG_7109.JPEG
Rivian R1T R1S Comparing your R1T to your previous truck (1500 Limited in my case) IMG_7110.JPEG

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Man, I've always wanted one of those.
I had a wild idea of building a custom pickup-bed-camper onto a Baja. Pop-up, with a "slide-out" storage area that would slide into the cabin of the car with the rear seats/wall folded down. So you could fit 4-5 people when driving, but use that space for storage when parked, opening up a bit of floor space in the camper.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Delivery to be scheduled anytime… Im replacing my 04 Lexus GX470 (LandCruiser Prado everywhere but US)…

Rivian R1T R1S Comparing your R1T to your previous truck (1500 Limited in my case) B6CDE363-44B9-4E2C-95C2-ABD286792E03

jbssfelix

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Rivian R1S
Clubs

Last "truck" was my '13 Land Cruiser. The 200-series LC was a bucket-list level vehicle for me, and I still do miss it occasionally. It checked the box of being a great comfortable family cruiser as well as a go-anywhere fuck-pavement off-roader. Wonderful memories with it camping with my family (shameless plug for the split tailgate below). Unfortunately, after my wife got the Tesla, it was pretty much relegated to the front street due to its abysmal gas mileage. Got a ridiculous offer to sell it, and I couldn't turn it down.

Now impatiently awaiting the R1S, which will hopefully return the same level of joy back to my life.
Rivian R1T R1S Comparing your R1T to your previous truck (1500 Limited in my case) PXL_20210314_180030888.MP
Rivian R1T R1S Comparing your R1T to your previous truck (1500 Limited in my case) IMG_20200510_090807

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

ak-bos

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T
Ridgeline is a truck. In fact, it's a good truck. I'd argue that it's the more practical truck for most people who drive trucks -- even those who insist it isn't a truck.

In my mind, The R1T takes everything that's great about the Ridgeline and +1's it, many times over.
2019 Ridgeline is my current truck. Until Tuesday. 😁 Guess I can post more authoritatively in this thread after that - but think I already know the things I'll miss most:
  • A rear bumper I can stand on, especially with the side swing tailgate.
  • Android Auto - although I will not miss having to plug/unplug my phone multiple times before driving just so I can get Spotify and a map, which is 90% of what I need Android Auto for.
  • A rear window and sunroof that I can open (and cover, for the sunroof).

The Ridgeline was the perfect truck for me. Much more comfortable ride than most "real trucks", but gave me a bed for the seemingly constant trips to hardware stores, lumber yards, and nurseries - while also providing more protected/secure storage options. The Rivian provides all the same benefits the Ridgeline gave me, just dialed up to 11.
Sponsored