Sponsored

20” All-Terrain or 22” Sport wheel upgrade included - Which is better 20 or 22

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
1605839115220.png

1605839231132.png

Which wheel is this? I am guessing it's a pre-production 21in wheel, but they've since added in carbon inserts into the triangular sections?
That's the 20. It is the one that will accept the CF aero inserts.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks! It's not available in configurator. How do we choose that?
For some reason, the 20" options are different for R1S & R1T, and none of the dark wheel options are available for the Launch Edition package for either... hopefully that might change.

I don't see a real reason why they couldn't make all wheel options available for both vehicles AND the Laumch Editions.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For some reason, the 20" options are different for R1S & R1T, and none of the dark wheel options are available for the Launch Edition package for either... hopefully that might change.

I don't see a real reason why they couldn't make all wheel options available for both vehicles AND the Laumch Editions.
Rivian R1T R1S 20” All-Terrain or 22” Sport wheel upgrade included - Which is better 20 or 22 Capture+_2020-11-19-21-15-11~2

Rivian R1T R1S 20” All-Terrain or 22” Sport wheel upgrade included - Which is better 20 or 22 Capture+_2020-11-19-21-14-42~2

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yeah, the 20" being offered for the R1T is much better looking (IMHO) than the 20" offered for the R1S.

Sponsored

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Yeah, the 20" being offered for the R1T is much better looking (IMHO) than the 20" offered for the R1S.
Have to agree, the R1S rim looks like a hub cap.

Fortunately (for me) I'm going for the R1T with 20".

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Tire/Wheel Weight differences? I haven't seen where anyone has posted the weights of Tires & Wheels? I pulled up on TireRack specs for the Rivina Pirelli tires: The Pirelli 20" for the R1T is 57 lbs, the 22" is 36 lbs, so a difference of 21 lbs. That is a lot of added, unsprung weight. My guess would be the 22" wheel may weight ~9 lbs more, so the 22" would still weigh 12 lbs less than the 20". I'm looking at this from my wife driving the R1T, 95% on-road and looking more from a performance/handling point of view than an off-road truck.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
A good all terrain tire should be heavier, since they are typically more durable. The tires you are looking at on Tire Rack are not exactly what will be delivered, but I'd guess the comparison is reasonable.

95% on road doesn't really define what you're doing off road. Rock crawling? Sand dunes? In those cases, I'd get a good set of on road tires, and then something specific for what you're doing that 5% of the time.

A lot of the light truck all season tires I have experience with are rated for mild off road use, so if your 5% is a dirt parking lot, you'll probably be fine with any of the options.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Tire/Wheel Weight differences? I haven't seen where anyone has posted the weights of Tires & Wheels? I pulled up on TireRack specs for the Rivina Pirelli tires: The Pirelli 20" for the R1T is 57 lbs, the 22" is 36 lbs, so a difference of 21 lbs. That is a lot of added, unsprung weight. My guess would be the 22" wheel may weight ~9 lbs more, so the 22" would still weigh 12 lbs less than the 20". I'm looking at this from my wife driving the R1T, 95% on-road and looking more from a performance/handling point of view than an off-road truck.
However, the Michelin Defender LTX 275R60/20 weighs 42 lbs. The Sport Pilot 4 285R45/20 (which I think will fit) weighs 38 lbs, if you want to go pure street tire, and I'd guess the 20-inch wheel is the lightest of the 3 available. My plan is to get the black 20's if we can, and an extra set of wheels and mount whichever of the street-iest Michelin's my tire guy thinks will work well.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I will be getting the 20" AT, but will likelt swap the ATs for All Season tires once they wear out. I like the imcreased sidewall size of the 20" wheel, and there's plenty of AT & AS tire options in 275/65 R20.
Living just south of Moose, WY, we prefer two sets of wheels and tires, the better to protect not only good traction on snow and ice but also the wheel rims so easily damaged by bumps and pot holes. Winters on highways can be as violent as summer off-roading.

Last edited:

Sponsored

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Living in the mountain north of Moose, WY, we prefer two sets of wheels and tires, the better to protect not only good traction on snow and ice but also the wheel rims so easily damaged by bumps and pot holes. Winters on highways can be as violent as summer off-roading.
Been to Moose and the Grand Tetons many times. What a beautiful area, all times of year.

Ditto on the snow tires and two sets of wheels.

I will second/third/n-th the comments made elsewhere, which is that although I'm selecting the 20" wheels for the R1S, they are the ugliest of the bunch. The consolation prize (if I understand correctly) is that they will be available in the dark option at some point. Best of all would be the option to have the 21" or 22" wheels as a 20" (light or dark).

tscanjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Tech Sales
A good all terrain tire should be heavier, since they are typically more durable. The tires you are looking at on Tire Rack are not exactly what will be delivered, but I'd guess the comparison is reasonable.

95% on road doesn't really define what you're doing off road. Rock crawling? Sand dunes? In those cases, I'd get a good set of on road tires, and then something specific for what you're doing that 5% of the time.

A lot of the light truck all season tires I have experience with are rated for mild off road use, so if your 5% is a dirt parking lot, you'll probably be fine with any of the options.
Good point. I’ll be using my R1S to visit the family cottage regularly. It’s 4x4 only two track beach roads with soft white sand. In the July august heat...that sand really heats up and gets soft, sticky and even the best trucks get stuck. More often than not due to ground clearance.

Considering the adjustable height and 4motor traction, I have to think I’ll be fine with the 21” all season tires. Right? Thoughts?

AT’s seem overkill when most of my driving is road trips to ski or hike. After all, my Jeep GC Overland never had a problem in the deep sand when I lifted it that extra inch.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Good point. I’ll be using my R1S to visit the family cottage regularly. It’s 4x4 only two track beach roads with soft white sand. In the July august heat...that sand really heats up and gets soft, sticky and even the best trucks get stuck. More often than not due to ground clearance.

Considering the adjustable height and 4motor traction, I have to think I’ll be fine with the 21” all season tires. Right? Thoughts?

AT’s seem overkill when most of my driving is road trips to ski or hike. After all, my Jeep GC Overland never had a problem in the deep sand when I lifted it that extra inch.
If your Jeep was fine, and you had all seasons on that, my best guess is that you'll be fine with the 21" all season option.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S