Sponsored

What We Do Not Know - Important Information Still Needed to Make an Informed Decision

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
On delivery or your place in line as a ore order holder, does how quickly you configured your preorder (right at midnight vs 4 days later) have any bearing on your place in line? Or time of delivery?

Is it still your place in line among preorders that dictates how soon around the August R1S release?

asking because I was a bit late in configuring my LE and reading people had their done the night of!! I hope waiting for the wife and making a thing out of picking her out doesn’t delay me
No, when you configured will not impact your LE delivery time. But your location will. Those in CA - particularly near the delivery center (El Segundo) - will likely get their vehicles soonest. Your date of preorder will define the actual delivery date in comparison to others thatare in the same area/region (in conjunction with some other options?).
Would be way cool if they did a "Launch Party" at the plant for those that wanted factory delivery and a tour.
Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I would love to ride out for a tour/launch party and to pick up my R1T. Just let me know when.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
What We Now Know vs What We Didn't Know: 2 new pieces of information

I received a New Year's response from CS. Two takeaways.
1. Neither the 2nd nor 3rd row seats in the R1S will fold completely flat. Our discussion so far has focused on how much the 3rd row will stick up, not on having both rows stick up when folded "flat".

2. If you switch from a LE to a max range Adventure or Explore trim, you're not sent to the back of the delivery line. Your preorder number, location and trim choices give you a new delivery position.

I've wondered about switching to a max pack because as someone put it, "there's no substitute for range," but I'm reluctant to switch if I go to the end of the delivery line. Switching from a LE, adding the off road package & 20" ATs saves about $3700. If the savings are moved to the max pack, a long range, off-road Explorer costs about $3800-6300 more than a LE, depending on the max pack upcharge. A long range R1T for $5K more is appealing.

HOWEVER, for anyone who might be considering this, I was advised not to switch out of the LE until LE deliveries begin. In sum, preserve my preorder position as long as possible.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
... HOWEVER, for anyone who might be considering this, I was advised not to switch out of the LE until LE deliveries begin. In sum, preserve my preorder position as long as possible.
Indeed. Who knows what may change before order needs to be firm and payment is due.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I received a New Year's response from CS. Two takeaways.
1. Neither the 2nd nor 3rd row seats in the R1S will fold completely flat. Our discussion so far has focused on how much the 3rd row will stick up, not on having both rows stick up when folded "flat".

OOOOF that sucks a LOT. My plan was to unbolt the 3rd row completely until it is needed. I have done this with other vehicles in the past and only install the 3rd row for long family trips.

Sponsored

cryogen97

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx9, Ford Edge
Clubs

I'm curious if anybody heard anything about 2 way charging. I know there were mumblings of Rivian to Rivian charging. I'm more interested in Rivian to house charging. I know you'd need the proper transfer switch, but you have about 5-7 days of household energy in case of a storm outage. More if you tried to conserve. At least you can run the fridge with an extension cord. I asked customer service and they responded with the patented "details will be revealed soon".

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Another response received from CS and not reported in #78 above concerned bi-directional charging. It's the second time asked and answered - "please check again in the future".

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I'm curious if anybody heard anything about 2 way charging. I know there were mumblings of Rivian to Rivian charging. I'm more interested in Rivian to house charging. I know you'd need the proper transfer switch, but you have about 5-7 days of household energy in case of a storm outage. More if you tried to conserve. At least you can run the fridge with an extension cord. I asked customer service and they responded with the patented "details will be revealed soon".
Yes, this will be part of it. Talked directly with RJ about it in Seattle, and you can see it (sort of) happen with the Rivian charging the HD LiveWire in The Long Way Up.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
OOOOF that sucks a LOT. My plan was to unbolt the 3rd row completely until it is needed. I have done this with other vehicles in the past and only install the 3rd row for long family trips.
I mean, as far as I’m aware, it’s always been said that the seats would only fold “mostly flat”

Whatever that means

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I mean, as far as I’m aware, it’s always been said that the seats would only fold “mostly flat”

Whatever that means
Must be like "Mostly dead" from The Princess Bride.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Neither the 2nd nor 3rd row seats in the R1S will fold completely flat. Our discussion so far has focused on how much the 3rd row will stick up, not on having both rows stick up when folded "flat".
Thanks for posting this.

That's a bummer for me. I was hoping that they can fold flat or 'mostly flat'. Hoping that the test drives will help us find how flat it is. For that occasional big box I wanna haul from costco need it to be flat ?. Hopefully we get to see some pictures in the days to come.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
For what it’s worth, I had a chat with a CS rep earlier about the seats issue. She said that,

“The seats fold almost completely flat. I think people will be pleasantly surprised when they see pictures”

And not wholly topical, but she also mentioned that the distance from the back of the front seats to the tailgate was 7ft

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
For what it’s worth, I had a chat with a CS rep earlier about the seats issue. She said that,

“The seats fold almost completely flat. I think people will be pleasantly surprised when they see pictures”

And not wholly topical, but she also mentioned that the distance from the back of the front seats to the tailgate was 7ft
I wondered why I hadn't seen any photos ANYWHERE of the rear seats folded flat. One of the reasons people buy an SUV over a truck is having that huge, flat load floor for hauling long things and for car camping. Remains to be seen how flat, but fully flat folding seats are a major bonus to utility and versatility and its a bummer they won't.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If the 3rd row doesn't fold flat enough to properly support the floor of a dog crate then I may have to forego the LE and wait for the 2 row Adventure. Really wish the 2 row version were available with LE. Not only do I not want to have to wait until 2022 for my R1S and lose the LE "perks" but I have absolutely zero use for 3rd row seating.
Sponsored