Cheapest of cheap things that needs to be fixed/replaced in the R1T

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
So I just saw the video/pictures from the Venice hub of the R1S...very nice thanks everyone who posted/took the time, looking forward to it. But here's the thing, the T is a truck with a truck bed that is meant to have things thrown/loaded into to haul around. Yet the cheapest of cheap doors/flap covers the air compressor, mine barely stays down, and if you forget to close it it's likely to get broken off.

Yet the S has a nice sliding door cover for it's compressor that will not only not get broken by sliding something into the vehicle, but also keeps it covered and clean (from the looks of it).

I get that the T also has the gear guard there, but for $2 more, it could have been way better IMO. I hope at some point RJ realizes how cheap that flap is and designs some retrofit kit to have a cover like the S, and I'd gladly pay the $100 to swap it post production.

Rivian R1T R1S Cheapest of cheap things that needs to be fixed/replaced in the R1T T compressor

Rivian R1T R1S Cheapest of cheap things that needs to be fixed/replaced in the R1T aircompressor
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The sliding door sticks out. If something catches while loading the bed, it’ll slide that door until It breaks off.

the flap doesn’t stick out like the sliding cover does and likely offers better weather resistance.

OP
OP
Dirty_B

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
The sliding door sticks out. If something catches while loading the bed, it’ll slide that door until It breaks off.

the flap doesn’t stick out like the sliding cover does and likely offers better weather resistance.
All points that could have been overcome in design...and yes the flap does stick out: When it's open it's out 5inches or so, when it's "closed" it's open and sticks out about .5". So I'll take a well designed sliding cover (that could have been designed to be flush) that keeps mulch, sand, dirt out of my compressor's male fitting when not in use....hhhm made me just realize I need to make/buy a rubber cap to put on that fitting when not in use. After 3 weeks of use my bed already has sand blowing all over it and that cover in no way is going to keep crap out of that male fitting

OP
OP
Dirty_B

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
All points that could have been overcome in design...and yes the flap does stick out: When it's open it's out 5inches or so, when it's "closed" it's open and sticks out about .5". So I'll take a well designed sliding cover (that could have been designed to be flush) that keeps mulch, sand, dirt out of my compressor's male fitting when not in use....hhhm made me just realize I need to make/buy a rubber cap to put on that fitting when not in use. After 3 weeks of use my bed already has sand blowing all over it and that cover in no way is going to keep crap out of that male fitting
You post has me thinking of other things about this: Anyone know if there is an air filter on the compressor intake? I'm going to have to get a cap as well as maybe a inline filter for the hose.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
There is probably a design reason why the two vehicles don’t use the same setup.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

They’ll prolly retrofit the compressor when they do the mass tonneau-cover swap out.
…Right? :bandit:

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Great min
So I just saw the video/pictures from the Venice hub of the R1S...very nice thanks everyone who posted/took the time, looking forward to it. But here's the thing, the T is a truck with a truck bed that is meant to have things thrown/loaded into to haul around. Yet the cheapest of cheap doors/flap covers the air compressor, mine barely stays down, and if you forget to close it it's likely to get broken off.

Yet the S has a nice sliding door cover for it's compressor that will not only not get broken by sliding something into the vehicle, but also keeps it covered and clean (from the looks of it).

I get that the T also has the gear guard there, but for $2 more, it could have been way better IMO. I hope at some point RJ realizes how cheap that flap is and designs some retrofit kit to have a cover like the S, and I'd gladly pay the $100 to swap it post production.

T compressor.jpg

aircompressor.png
Great minds think alike. One of the first things I noticed about the R1T as pictures started getting released of the various features is how absolutely chintzy the gearguard/compressor flap looked.

I thought to myself - OK - let's keep an open mind and maybe it isn't as chintzy in real life.

Well, spoiler alert, it's chincy as hell. I confirmed that on my First Mile Drive. it felt like I could snap it off with a minimum of force.

Lots of great, solidly built features on the R1T that inspire confidence. The gearguard/compressor flap (and the outlet flap on the other side) are not one of them.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I know we shouldn’t have to, but it looks like it might be easy enough to add some weather stripping to the inside and some kind of latch on the outside to help keep it closed? I haven’t seen one in person yet:whatsgoingon:

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe not cheap, but the recent posts on the cracked roof glass are worrisome....I would expect someone to be able to lean on it with one hand while washing not to break the glass. It's a ~ $2K repair not covered by the warranty for a component that is sounding "cheap."

Sponsored

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
I think some magnets to keep the compressor flap, along with the gear tunnel storage nooks, closet in a more solid way would be nice.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I think some magnets to keep the compressor flap, along with the gear tunnel storage nooks, closet in a more solid way would be nice.
magnets are awesome but being a truck guy and knowing what I use my bed for the black dirt would be stuck all over that magnet.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Great minds think alike. One of the first things I noticed about the R1T as pictures started getting released of the various features is how absolutely chintzy the gearguard/compressor flap looked.

I thought to myself - OK - let's keep an open mind and maybe it isn't as chintzy in real life.

Well, spoiler alert, it's chincy as hell. I confirmed that on my First Mile Drive. it felt like I could snap it off with a minimum of force.

Lots of great, solidly built features on the R1T that inspire confidence. The gearguard/compressor flap (and the outlet flap on the other side) are not one of them.
Honestly, the entire bed is a bit cheap, imo. It's not so bad as to be unusable, but I do think my bed is going to end up looking pretty nasty. I've already got several divots and LOTS of scratches in the plastic. Really, none of the bed seems particularly durable.

I was hoping for something more along the lines of the GM CarbonPro bed... But Rivian is just using SOFT plastic.

("it's a truck who cares what it looks like" comments incoming, no doubt)

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Honestly, the entire bed is a bit cheap, imo. It's not so bad as to be unusable, but I do think my bed is going to end up looking pretty nasty. I've already got several divots and LOTS of scratches in the plastic. Really, none of the bed seems particularly durable.

I was hoping for something more along the lines of the GM CarbonPro bed... But Rivian is just using SOFT plastic.

("it's a truck who cares what it looks like" comments incoming, no doubt)
I'm happy with the walls and floor, however the trim is not durable at all. The bed caps on the sides and tailgate are torn up on mine. Also multiple broken clips from a poor clip configuration (breaks the caps, can't just replace the clips).

thibbitts

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 FJ cruiser 2018 4runner
Agree on the bed plastic parts. I've only put things in my bed a couple times and I already have some decent size cuts in it. Also the little compartments in the gear tunnel doors are really cheap looking. I wish they had a better closing mechanism.
Sponsored