Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Well searching tire rack a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 will provide options for the same bolt pattern, you can get some pretty decent wheels at 27lbs. I don't think that is light by any means but I am not sure what the stock 20's, 21's and 22's would weigh. I only know 19" sizes which are around 20lbs which is something lightweight in the racing world.

I assume 20's anything below 25lbs would be considered a good option for rotational mass.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Well searching tire rack a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 will provide options for the same bolt pattern, you can get some pretty decent wheels at 27lbs. I don't think that is light by any means but I am not sure what the stock 20's, 21's and 22's would weigh. I only know 19" sizes which are around 20lbs which is something lightweight in the racing world.

I assume 20's anything below 25lbs would be considered a good option for rotational mass.
In addition to the bolt pattern, you'll also need to match the Rivian's wheel offset (edit: and width) when shopping aftermarket.

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
In addition to the bolt pattern, you'll also need to match the Rivian's wheel offset (edit: and width) when shopping aftermarket.
Excellent point. I would be very surprised though if it was an oddball.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Excellent point. I would be very surprised though if it was an oddball.
I don't know that there are any standard offsets in the way that there are standard bolt patterns and rim widths although offsets will usually fall within a certain limited range. That said, a few mm can often be the difference between a wheel that moves freely and one that rubs fenders, suspension bits, etc. Based on the Rebelle incident (Emme taking a whoopsie a little too fast), I get the impression that clearances may be pretty tight. Anyone buying aftermarket wheels that deviate from factory spec should keep in mind that they are venturing into uncharted territory. Over time we'll get enough feedback from the community to know exactly what does or doesn't work.

jmp4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR4, Tesla Model 3
The 20" wheels are the same, the only difference is color. I will keep my LE configuration with the silver 20" option at no cost increase and have the wheels powder coated black at a local shop. The only downside to this option is the vehicle will be undriveable for a couple days while the wheels are being powder coated, unless you have a second set of wheels. The cost to powder coat is usually about $125 a wheel.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

My thought on this, seeing how they haven’t announced this yet, is that this is just a coding issue. They allowed the dark wheels on the LE but they haven’t made a separate dark wheel in their system. Zeroing out the price on an item is different coding wise to have a separate price for an added item.
See below response from Nicole in Rivian chat this morning. For a full $3500 I'll just be sticking with the "included" 20" wheels on my R1S LE. Thanks all for the info.

"The upgrade will have that additional cost of $3500. Originally the dark wheels were not an option with the complimentary wheels for the Launch Edition, however we decided to make them available after so many of you put in the request! I'd be happy to share your feedback with the team that you were hoping to see that option be complimentary as well. "

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
The 20" wheels are the same, the only difference is color. I will keep my LE configuration with the silver 20" option at no cost increase and have the wheels powder coated black at a local shop. The only downside to this option is the vehicle will be undriveable for a couple days while the wheels are being powder coated, unless you have a second set of wheels. The cost to powder coat is usually about $125 a wheel.
Customer Service told me they are not the same. Said that the black wheels used “different alloys” but he didn’t have any additional details. If you look at the pics up close, they do seem to be slightly different in design as well.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
See below response from Nicole in Rivian chat this morning. For a full $3500 I'll just be sticking with the "included" 20" wheels on my R1S LE. Thanks all for the info.

"The upgrade will have that additional cost of $3500. Originally the dark wheels were not an option with the complimentary wheels for the Launch Edition, however we decided to make them available after so many of you put in the request! I'd be happy to share your feedback with the team that you were hoping to see that option be complimentary as well. "
Fully complimentary would be great.
However, I don’t think that’s what most are demanding. I think most understood that the option would have an incremental price — just like it does for the non-LEs. What I think folks are asking is that, if there is a cost of $1,800 for non-LEs to switch to a non-standard size and an additional $1,700 to switch to black, it would make sense that for LE buyers we’d pay the $1,700 for the color change. However, most didn’t expect to have to pay the $1,800 for the wheel size change that is included in the LE orders.
For myself particularly, I might pay the $1,700 (which is twice the cost of doing it aftermarket) merely for the convenience, but it does get hard to justify at $3,500, because I’d be paying that $1,700 plus also the $1,800 that otherwise I wouldn’t.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Unless the silver wheel has a plastic snap-on hub and the black wheel has plastic snap-on inserts between the spokes and around the rim, these are completely different wheels.

Rivian R1T R1S Launch Edition R1T & R1S get 20" black wheel option 8CE678D4-59D0-45A2-A41F-8A4C830CAEE5

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Fully complimentary would be great.
However, I don’t think that’s what most are demanding. I think most understood that the option would have an incremental price — just like it does for the non-LEs. What I think folks are asking is that, if there is a cost of $1,800 for non-LEs to switch to a non-standard size and an additional $1,700 to switch to black, it would make sense that for LE buyers we’d pay the $1,700 for the color change. However, most didn’t expect to have to pay the $1,800 for the wheel size change that is included in the LE orders.
We don't know what the wheels cost Rivian, or if the black wheels would be a simple incremental cost over the other wheels. I also would be surprised if this was a straight discount from Rivian as opposed to a supplier discount that Rivian passed on to its LE customers. You could imagine that the wheel supplier's competitive bid included a discounted price for the first year of a multi-year supply contract. That supplier discount may not apply to the black wheels, so it may not be as easy for Rivian to pass through the same discount.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I made this point about the difference in wheels earlier. We just go around and around hearing ourselves commenting on the same issue. I should start a thread titled over and over again.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I'll wait for aftermarket options that aren't $3500.
Ditto (or powder coat). I bought some very nice black rims for my SQ5's winter set and they were much less than the original Prestige set. $3500 is ridiculous, and I can't bring myself to do it, if even just out of principle.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I am definitely in the minority here with being a fan of the standard alloy 21s on the R1S.

My main concerns are mileage efficiency, a quiet ride, and flexibility. I like the looks of the 21s (prob the only one, lol) and don’t care if they are not forged. I highly doubt what I’ll be doing in the vehicle would put enough strain on the wheels to damage the flow formed cast 21s. I won’t be doing serious off road stuff where I’d miss the 20s, and they will be more capable off road than the 22s. And I highly doubt my driving skills could live up to the performance difference for which the 22s are theoretically capable. Maybe if I watch Days of Thunder enough I could pick up some pointers! Similarly, my mountain bike is definitely way more skilled than me!

I will note, however, that the 21 inch tires being a complete one-off is a little disconcerting. I do expect some competition to Pirelli showing up though, eventually. Hopefully.
Sponsored