Sponsored

When is the earliest we'll be on the hook to make a purchase?

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
June? Would they launch earlier if they could? Or could jumping the gun risk preorder drops?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I think some people just get a kick starting threads no matter how ridiculous.
The beauty of forums is that you can just ignore threads that don't interest you rather than be condescending to other users about their interests. I don't think it's hard to understand why somebody would want to know, when we spent from January to November thinking $69k meant a well-equipped mid-range with an expensive sounding roof option we'd be able to trim.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
June? Would they launch earlier if they could? Or could jumping the gun risk preorder drops?
Some people try to make themselves feel big by being internet tough guys. I find it both entertaining and really pathetic. Just ignore it.

I think if Rivian had any chance at coming to market sooner, they would. While they have plenty of cash to burn, bringing revenue in sooner is a big positive, as is all the free marketing they’ll get once they start deliveries. I think the pros will definitely outweigh any potential cancellations.

How hard was that? :)

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
I worry about the opposite. With the Virus getting worse every week will they be forced to shut down and or will they have trouble getting Parts? When they had to close earlier this year the Virus was not as bad as it is now. Hopefully this won’t happen.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I think a delay could be caused by the difficulty in providing test drives. They have promised these before requiring conversion to an actual order. There is no way I am ordering before a test drive (and more than around the block)

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I think a delay could be caused by the difficulty in providing test drives. They have promised these before requiring conversion to an actual order. There is no way I am ordering before a test drive (and more than around the block)
I agree with you on this... While I think there is a small percentage of people willing to buy site unseen most of us will want to touch one before we commit.

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I worry about the opposite. With the Virus getting worse every week will they be forced to shut down and or will they have trouble getting Parts? When they had to close earlier this year the Virus was not as bad as it is now. Hopefully this won’t happen.
Mclean county (Normal) has held up pretty well. Close to a college town so you're probably going to have more respect for science than average. And very low pop centers all around BloNo. Most of their supply chain was already US-based. Hopefully batteries won't be a problem but that kinda seems like what RJ was talking about when he said they'd be under supply constraints for a while.

First Name
Doil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot 2005
I agree with you on this... While I think there is a small percentage of people willing to buy site unseen most of us will want to touch one before we commit.
I'm in the PNW, and have a LE R1S. This is what i'm waiting for as well and hoping this will happen by end of Q1.

Any idea of how the test drives were going to work? Regionally? I doubt they will have Sales Centers in Seattle by then, so maybe they'll ask preorder holders to drive somewhere?

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I'm in the PNW, and have a LE R1S. This is what i'm waiting for as well and hoping this will happen by end of Q1.

Any idea of how the test drives were going to work? Regionally? I doubt they will have Sales Centers in Seattle by then, so maybe they'll ask preorder holders to drive somewhere?
They have claimed somewhere they will offer test drives at home, so I suspect they will bring a vehicle or two (R1T and R1S?) to major metro areas and schedule drives with reservation holders in those areas. I am in Phoenix and know there are a few others on the forum in that area.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
At Fully Charged Live back in Feb, I was told the plan was to have a fleet of 60 test drive vehicles that would be spread out across the country.

We'll just have to wait & see timing and format, but I know that COVID has affected this...

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
At Fully Charged Live back in Feb, I was told the plan was to have a fleet of 60 test drive vehicles that would be spread out across the country.

We'll just have to wait & see timing and format, but I know that COVID has affected this...
350ish test drives per R1T if that's like 20k+. They'd have to get started very soon for everybody to commit by June. Maybe more like March if it's spread out.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

350ish test drives per R1T if that's like 20k+. They'd have to get started very soon for everybody to commit by June. Maybe more like March if it's spread out.
Hopefully this is the big Christmas day announcement . . .

If Rivian is not able to do large test drive events for LE preorder customers, I wonder if they would consider a 48-hour delivery "window" for the first set of customers. Let the people who put an early deposit down test drive their car for a day before they ultimately commit. Would show some faith in the quality of the vehicles. I also don't think the people who put deposits down two years ago are just tire kickers.

I have a very late LE preorder number. Obviously I would want to test drive the vehicle before making that large of a purchase. However, I also hope there will be a couple months of reviews before I actually have to commit to the purchase. Its the people scheduled to get the vehicles in June that need to be prioritized for test drives.

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I think I could actually live without the test drive. I'm pretty sold at this point. I'll definitely do it for fun if getting to it isn't a PITA though. Might have to swap to non-LE depending on when we have to commit. Or maybe I'll just start with a really lousy 84 month loan and refinance when I'm in a position to get that principle to where I want it. I think my wife is starting to regret dashing my Model 3/Used-S ambitions with a ride-height requirement.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I would love to see the various color options in person. The rendering are horrible, and the “in the wild” pics are a various lighting situations and inconsistent as well.
Sponsored