Sponsored

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
Has there been any confirmation as to whether the Rivian will be able to drive one-footed? Meaning the regenerative braking is so strong you could use it instead of the breaks. My i3 did that and I loved it.
Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Anti lock braking has been the norm for many years now. Think of what these cars will do as anti lock braking plus the ability to apply differential thrust in the forward direction as well a rear ward. The answer to you question is no - you no longer do that. If you want to slow down you take your foot off the accelerator. If you want to slow down more than the regen will handle you step on the brake.
You can see many examples of why to do this by looking at people wrecking cars doing stupid things on youtube. You don't even need snow. You will see them stand on the gas and get the car bent out of shape a little which is ok, as long as you ease up a little, but STAY IN THE GAS, the car will settle in, get traction, and then go in the direction you are pointing it. What happens though is many people will lift off the gas completely or even worse, lift off the gas completely and then stomp the brake. At that point it is over and the car will likely spin with full loss of control. This is also made worse if dealing with a mid or rear engine vehicle which has a different weight distribution like a porche.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I'd ask customer service about that but I'd certainly hope so. One pedal driving is great

zipityzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Private
This is an excellent post; I've learned so much: don't love that all of this isn't public already, but super excited to see the heated steering wheels and the RAN charging exclusivity.

Does anyone have concrete news on Apple CarPlay or Google's Android Auto? I keep reading Rivian has confirmed they will not offer either, but I've only seen conversations and no screenshots: but maybe it's a pipe dream at this point.

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
This is an excellent post; I've learned so much: don't love that all of this isn't public already, but super excited to see the heated steering wheels and the RAN charging exclusivity.

Does anyone have concrete news on Apple CarPlay or Google's Android Auto? I keep reading Rivian has confirmed they will not offer either, but I've only seen conversations and no screenshots: but maybe it's a pipe dream at this point.
I don't have my screenshot, but many of us have talked to Rivian via CS Chat and they said they are doing their own thing. However, if enough of us complain, maybe they'll change their mind. I LOVE CarPlay. I will be very disappointed if they pull a Tesla who promised apps would come out for it using their own API only to abandon it shortly after.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
They've been consistent on saying that it won't be available, but they've definitely heard from many people about the demand.

I think they are either confident enough in their own interface, or they might reconsider. From the look of their UI utilizing expanding tiles/frames for different functions, it does seem like they could probably add one for CarPlay/Android Auto, while still maintaining the rest of their native functions.

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Speaking of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, I know the conversation keeps going on and on about it, but really wish they offer it as an option. It doesn't mean it will be used in place of Rivian's multi-tile OS, just in addition. The Rivian OS would be great for all the vehicle settings, navigation with access to the RAN to plan out those weekend trips, 360 camera for everyday parking or on a trail.... but then could also have CarPlay as an option for closer integration to our personal lives on a daily basis too. From calendar integration to be aware of events, to sending and receiving messages safely without having to fumble with our phones, it would just serve as the perfect compliment.

Also, the position of the wireless charger isn't going to do much to hinder phone use in the car while driving, so might as well offer the integration and option of CarPlay to decrease the amount of driver distraction that is within arm's reach already.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
They've been consistent on saying that it won't be available, but they've definitely heard from many people about the demand.

I think they are either confident enough in their own interface, or they might reconsider. From the look of their UI utilizing expanding tiles/frames for different functions, it does seem like they could probably add one for CarPlay/Android Auto, while still maintaining the rest of their native functions.
The ONLY thing I care about regarding Android/Carplay that cant be solved by bluetooth is WAZE.
I am DEFINITELY NOT using it to avoid speeding tickets on my 90 minute trips to the airport.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

Wonder if (m)ama 'zon had something to do with this decision, complaining that Siri and Google were bad influences on her Alexa.

Jokes aside, I think part of the challenge is that both CarPlay and AndroidAuto are voice-assistant heavy, and I imagine the native Rivian experience is the same. So in theory if you were using CarPlay for navigation, all your navigation voice requests would have to go through Siri, which would have a different way of activating vs. the default Alexa activation. It's like middle school ... "Alexa, can you tell Siri to navigate to the next charging station?" "No, we're not talking. Ask her yourself!". Just a little messy imo.

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Wonder if (m)ama 'zon had something to do with this decision, complaining that Siri and Google were bad influences on her Alexa.

Jokes aside, I think part of the challenge is that both CarPlay and AndroidAuto are voice-assistant heavy, and I imagine the native Rivian experience is the same. So in theory if you were using CarPlay for navigation, all your navigation voice requests would have to go through Siri, which would have a different way of activating vs. the default Alexa activation. It's like middle school ... "Alexa, can you tell Siri to navigate to the next charging station?" "No, we're not talking. Ask her yourself!". Just a little messy imo.
I am hoping we get the options that we all are wanting. Alexa for anything Rivian related and then Siri for anything personal and/phone related.

"Alexa, lower the tailgate" and then "Siri, send a message to _____, that I will be running late" ?‍♂

Sponsored

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
I am hoping we get the options that we all are wanting. Alexa for anything Rivian related and then Siri for anything personal and/phone related.

"Alexa, lower the tailgate" and then "Siri, send a message to _____, that I will be running late" ?‍♂
More realistically (based on my experience) —
Me: “Siri, call Emily.”
Siri: “OK. Playing Coldplay.”

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
More realistically (based on my experience) —
Me: “Siri, call Emily.”
Siri: “OK. Playing Coldplay.”
Whats Emily doing with Chris Martin??? ;)

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I'm fine with using their navigation, especially since it will tie in charging stops. I have yet to own a vehicle that did a good job switching between built-in audio and a Bluetooth audio source. As long as they are able to make that work, not having Android Auto will be a non-issue for me, but I'm skeptical.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
From Amazon’s perspective, I imagine it would be fairly strange to lead a $700 million investment round in Rivian, order 100,000 Rivian vehicles, and then have your competitors’ software like CarPlay and Android Auto in Rivian vehicles along side, or instead of, your Alexa Auto.
Sponsored