Sponsored

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What I want to know is why Kyle was invited to this event and I wasn't. I've been a preorder holder for nearly 9 months now! Just another egregious example of Rivian playing favorites and cheating their most loyal customers. Not to mention that Kyle can no longer be trusted as an unbiased reviewer for accepting such an invitation...

(for those of you who didn't pick up on it, this is a satirical post)
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
So what confused me is that there were clearly Waypoint chargers at the event so RAN doesn't include Waypoint chargers?
This is my understanding based off the charging story they did.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

This is my understanding based off the charging story they did.
Well, that's confusing. If I'm in Yosemite using a Rivian L2 charger, which is purportedly supposed to help me get to places in my R1T I wouldn't otherwise get to in an electric vehicle it seems odd that that wouldn't be part of their Rivian Adventure Network (RAN).

With maximum irony, if you go the RIVIAN RAN page, the header image is someone plugging into a waypoint charger...

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) Fast Charging Launches in Colorado and California Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 7.23.39 PM

https://rivian.com/experience/charging

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, that's confusing. If I'm in Yosemite using a Rivian L2 charger, which is purportedly supposed to help me get to places in my R1T I wouldn't otherwise get to in an electric vehicle it seems odd that that wouldn't be part of their Rivian Adventure Network (RAN).

With maximum irony, if you go the RIVIAN RAN page, the header image is someone plugging into a waypoint charger...

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 7.23.39 PM.png

Except that isn't the RAN page, it's the overall charging page, which includes RAN and Waypoint as well as the wall charger, public CCS chargers, and mobile charger.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

I agree a bit misleading by that picture but the picture is for the entire charging page. When you read through it it does say the RAN are DCFC chargers and the level 2 are waypoint chargers.

3,500 DCFC RAN in 600 locations initially for Rivian vehicles only.

10,000 level 2 Waypoint across the country open to anyone using J1772 connectors

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Except that isn't the RAN page, it's the overall charging page, which includes RAN and Waypoint as well as the wall charger, public CCS chargers, and mobile charger.
Notice how I have selected the RAN charging network, which is underlined in the photo. When you select Waypoints - the website scrolls to the bottom where they show...another waypoint charger.

Your point is taken - but it's still confusing because it sets up the expectation that RAN is an inclusive charging network for R1T adventures - places you want to go in your R1T.

Also - if you are going somewhere for an adventure, aren't you likely to be there for a while - like overnight even? Wouldn't that make more sense in terms of RAN branding?

A DC fast charger is something you want to use to help you get to your adventure destination in my mind. It also appears from their map that the DCFC network is on major routes and highways. Not sure a Wal-Mart parking lot, or a Service Area is where I would expect to find an adventure - but I can't tell exactly since the map doesn't list specific locations.

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Notice how I have selected the RAN charging network, which is underlined in the photo. When you select Waypoints - the website scrolls to the bottom where they show...another waypoint charger.

Your point is taken - but it's still confusing because it sets up the expectation that RAN is an inclusive charging network for R1T adventures - places you want to go in your R1T.

Also - if you are going somewhere for an adventure, aren't you likely to be there for a while - like overnight even? Wouldn't that make more sense in terms of RAN branding?

A DC fast charger is something you want to use to help you get to your adventure destination in my mind. It also appears from their map that the DCFC network is on major routes and highways. Not sure a Wal-Mart parking lot, or a Service Area is where I would expect to find and adventure - but I can't tell exactly since the map doesn't list specific locations.
100% their naming needs to be better. Like Driver+ is the overarching system, and HA and ACC are part of it. RAN should be the overall network, comprised of L3 and L2 chargers.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Their naming is no more complicated than Tesla’s and nobody seems confused by that.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Their naming is no more complicated than Tesla’s and nobody seems confused by that.
Tesla has a Supercharger Network. That is completely self explanatory considering the function is already inherent to the name.

Rivian Adventure Network doesn't have a function other then the adjective Adventure (which you could argue can be used as a verb). If you are "Adventuring" that could imply something like charging in a remote location like Yosemite where there are only ....Level 2 chargers. Thus, having RAN be inclusive of L2 and L3 like @godfodder0901 suggested above makes a whole hell of a lot more sense.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

To add - I think what has lead to Rivian viewing their L3 chargers as the "RAN" is the exclusivity of L3 vs L2.

Their L2 chargers can be used by anyone and so claiming them as part of their network might create confusion.

I personally don't know how I feel about that. It makes zero sense from an EV adoption perspective for Rivian to close off their L2 network, but the Rivianaholic in me would be really pissed off if I drove to Yosemite and couldn't charge because the L2 was filled with f'ing Teslas!

Not sure what the answer is there, but one approach is that the L2 chargers in remote locations are Rivian only. L2 chargers that are in more accessible locations, like hotels, parking lots, etc.,. can be open to everyone as long as they download the app, etc.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

No budget

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I agree a bit misleading by that picture but the picture is for the entire charging page. When you read through it it does say the RAN are DCFC chargers and the level 2 are waypoint chargers.

3,500 DCFC RAN in 600 locations initially for Rivian vehicles only.

10,000 level 2 Waypoint across the country open to anyone using J1772 connectors
18 months to go.....chop chop.!!!!

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Not sure a Wal-Mart parking lot, or a Service Area is where I would expect to find an adventure
From D.C. just head a couple of states west or a few south, get at least 30 miles from the nearest city or interstate. Then head to the closest Wal-Mart. While I'm not sure "adventure" is the right word, it sure as heck ain't ordinary. :CWL: