Sponsored

Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
Adding on that Rivian could even sell the “Adventure Network” online access and print magazine as an annual subscription, free the first year of your vehicle purchase. It’s something I’d pay for (nominal fee of course) but Rivian could also take a portion of the subscription fees and make a charitable contribution to select Federal or State parks or highway clean up organizations as a way to offset use/wear and tear (yes this is really a gesture) and to say “thank you”.

Win-win in my book.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
EXACTLY!

There is such a wide variety of pre-order people here with really varying needs. Everything from towing boats and snowmobiles, to hauling dirt bikes and Mountain bikes to those that want to boon-dock camp with the onboard kitchen.

Their marketing department could highlight each one of these every month with an in-depth web article highlighting the trucks, locations and people. A real no- brainer if you ask me. It practically writes itself and would sell more trucks no doubt!

Great suggestion!
They already did this to help motivate their staff.

They reached out to some reservation holders and got their stories and had us send in some pics for in-house use.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I-80 thru WY is totally void of non-Tesla DC fast chargers except for Cheyenne. We need chargers in Evanston, Rock Springs, Rawlings and Laramie like Tesla has. This is a major east/west corridor and having this huge hole is going to be problematic for many potential non-Tesla EV’ers.
Yes, a crucial, must do, corridor!

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
From the EA webinar today.
Rivian R1T R1S Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations Screenshot_20201209-091720_GoToWebinar~2

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
From the EA webinar today.
Screenshot_20201209-091720_GoToWebinar~2.jpg
Glad to see the I-80 corridor through WY on there! By “submitted”, I’ll just assume that someone submitted the location to them vs. a situation where they’ve submitted for permits and such?

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Glad to see the I-80 corridor through WY on there! By “submitted”, I’ll just assume that someone submitted the location to them vs. a situation where they’ve submitted for permits and such?
Correct. They plan on releasing their cycle 3 plans for additional chargers in spring of 2021. Crossing my fingers that a few of my suggestions are implemented.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It says "Suggestions" on the slide.

They most definitely need to complete the I-90 corridor (and should do 1-94 and I-80 as well). Those were among the last routes completed in the Supercharger buildout. They may not be as heavily used, but are critical for cross country travel .

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

They most definitely need to complete the I-90 corridor (and should do 1-94 and I-80 as well). Those were among the last routes completed in the Supercharger buildout. They may not be as heavily used, but are critical for cross country travel .
Not to mention the cold temps require more frequent charging and thus the need for more charging locations with less spacing between them.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

They specifically mentioned I-90 and I-94 during the webinar, stating the particular requests for a route from Minneapolis to Butte. I -94 is the shorter of those 2 routes.

Sponsored

aww181

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, 64 Triumph Spitfire
Am I the only one here from the Northeast? I have run many scenarios and see some challenges getting to places I go, especially in the winter. Anything north of Boston will help! Attached is a map from plugshare of CSS locations over 120 KW north of Boston. There is almost nothing over 50 kW today when visiting NH, ME or VT that is over. Places I go for "adventure".

A few specific suggestions to help adventurers:

Lincoln, NH A big tourist spot and mid state on I93 that is east of the white mountains and near ski/rafting/hiking/biking locations.
Bretton Woods NH: At the top of the white mountains which gives access to many trails and activities - especially in the winter.
North Conway NH: A big tourist spot east of the white mountains. Just put it at the REI and I can spend my time shopping.
Bangor Maine: Mid state on I95. Nothing specific here but would make the north section of the state accessible for hunting, fishing, hiking, camping...
Lake Placid NY: Big tourist destination and many outdoor activities)
Brattleboro VT: Great town in southern VT
Middlebury VT: College town along an east/west route to Upstate NY.
Acadia national Park in Maine: 7th most visited national park but often forgotten if you are not in the northeast.

We also need more on the NJ turnpike or merit parkway in CT - these are very heavily traveled routes with so many tesla chargers that I am considering a model Y instead. (but really don't want one) There are some CCS chargers in CT and NJ along these routes but they require going off route. (i.e. to malls or off toll highways) Also the Garden State Parkway on the way to the jersey shore. And how about a few on the PA turnpike rest stops?

I would love to see a charging network make a deal with a national chain. Not my favorite but a fast charger at every Mcdonald's would make me go there. Stop, charge, hit the bathroom and get some food. I suggest this just because of their prevalence and location near major roads but I would be fine with any large chain that would be a good location for a 20-30 minute stop. Though limited today, it will be a huge opportunity in the next 5 years.

Rivian R1T R1S Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations CSS 120.JPG

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Am I the only one here from the Northeast?
Nope.

It is indeed sparse throughout New England and the Maritimes. There are quite a few 50 kW CCS chargers and even more Level 2 in that region and I will point out that they are adequate for the leisure traveler. But if you are in a hurry to get somewhere there is a problem. Initially, at least, we are going to be pioneers just as the early Tesla drivers were.

Rivian is facing a paradox. "If you build it they will come" applies and the networks have, thus far, prioritized areas where there is traffic. Rivian is marketing to a demographic looking for places to go where we hope they will not come.

As for where chargers ought to be placed: Tesla seems to have it pretty well figured out though there are certainly places where Tesla owners would like to see more chargers. They have, for example, a station in Brattleboro, another in Lebanon and even one in Magog so that corridor is covered.

I'd like to the the charger in Bennington beefed up to over 50 kW.

Same for the chargers on the NJTPK. They have 50 kW units at Joyce Kilmer ("I think that I shall never see a place so lovely to stop and pee") and at Molly Pitcher too. And the Thruway could certainly use some. Walmart in Newburg has got the big guns now.

aww181

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, 64 Triumph Spitfire
There are quite a few 50 kW CCS chargers and even more Level 2 in that region and I will point out that they are adequate for the leisure traveler. But if you are in a hurry to get somewhere there is a problem. Initially, at least, we are going to be pioneers just as the early Tesla drivers were.
Agree! And I do day hikes in NH so there is no hotel to slow charge at. But even a weekend trip to Lake Placid, Acadia or Baxter state park are very hard with the current infrastructure. Routing a camping trip to Baxter sent me north to Canada for a charge on the way home.

Rivian is marketing to a demographic looking for places to go where we hope they will not come.
Very funny and very true. That is why I added places such as Lincoln, N Conway, Bangor and other locations that are fairly heavily traveled and on the way to remote locations.

Same for the chargers on the NJTPK. They have 50 kW units at Joyce Kilmer ("I think that I shall never see a place so lovely to stop and pee")
Agree

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
San Francisco Bay Area

-Yosemite
-N. Lake Tahoe/enroute 80 w. room for trailer/boat
-S. Lake Tahoe/enroute 50 w. room for trailer/boat
-Point Reyes
-Big Sur
-Napa/Calistoga
-Gualala

These are the spots I like to go to at least :)

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Here in the Mid Atlantic area there is slim pickings if you want to go from DC area to Charleston West, VA in general the whole West VA area. GW Forest which is in West VA offers some amazing off road trails.

Rivian R1T R1S Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations 1607719810617
Sponsored