Hitch Pin length

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Same, none of the pins I had were long enough, but the following one worked (just barely):

2.5" receiver pin

I think the key here is to look for pins that fit 2.5"+ receivers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
They may not have it yet. I ordered the same and from the dimensions I suspect it'll be fine and in most cases used in the "drop" position to achieve proper tongue weight. BTW, the price through Costco is a steal versus most as $160 - $200 for the same setup.

Aluma Hitch.JPG
Thanks for the info. I worry about the space between the pin hole and the down shaft. In another post on a different forum, somebody mentioned that the 3 1/8" should really be a 4 1/2" space.

They used a Weigh Safe with a 4" drop successfully. The Weigh Safe one doesn't have that tapering support shown in the picture that shortens the spacing.

Please let us know once you receive the Costco one whether it fits. It is a steal and I would order one only if I knew it would actually fit.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

Thanks for the info. I worry about the space between the pin hole and the down shaft. In another post on a different forum, somebody mentioned that the 3 1/8" should really be a 4 1/2" space.

They used a Weigh Safe with a 4" drop successfully. The Weigh Safe one doesn't have that tapering support shown in the picture that shortens the spacing.

Please let us know once you receive the Costco one whether it fits. It is a steal and I would order one only if I knew it would actually fit.

I will report back once I have it.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I ordered this today on sale from Costco. Hopefully it fits and the pins are long enough. I liked that it’s aluminum, adjustable and comes with 3 different sized balls. Seemed like a decent deal.

1655700131975.jpeg

https://www.costco.com/uriah-aluma-tow-12,000-lbs-capacity-adjustable-aluminum-drop-hitch,-6"-drop,-6-34"-rise.product.100989282.html
Replying to my own post with an update. Hitch arrived yesterday from Costco. Installed it this morning and the locking pin is plenty long enough to get through the Rivian receiver with about 1/2” to spare.

Seems to be plenty of clearance around the bumper as well; however, it will NOT work in the inverse position where the vertical shaft is providing rise vs drop. It does not extend out far enough for that.

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch Pin length 64196129-16E4-4971-B7D9-402E395575E2

jewwithguitar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I tried several different pins and I am confirming that using a pin for a 2.5” receiver is required due to the extra length. I also tried several anti-rattle clamps. This did not reauire a clamp for a 2.5” hitch-the 2” hitch model fit.

Sponsored

nirvanaman

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3,DeLorean,Lightning,Saleen Mustang,BoxsterS
Replying to my own post with an update. Hitch arrived yesterday from Costco. Installed it this morning and the locking pin is plenty long enough to get through the Rivian receiver with about 1/2” to spare.

Seems to be plenty of clearance around the bumper as well; however, it will NOT work in the inverse position where the vertical shaft is providing rise vs drop. It does not extend out far enough for that.
So what do you think? Better to go with something that has a bit more length to it instead?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
So what do you think? Better to go with something that has a bit more length to it instead?
I guess it really depends on what you’re planning to tow and the “level” tongue height for the trailer. I primarily tow a flatbed utility trailer that has a pretty low level tongue height, so not being able to invert the hitch isn’t really an issue for me.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Is it possible to have the hitch receiver cover installed with the pin inserted? Could be nice to have a longer pin always in position and at-the-ready rather than having to store it inside the truck.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Is it possible to have the hitch receiver cover installed with the pin inserted? Could be nice to have a longer pin always in position and at-the-ready rather than having to store it inside the truck.
There should be no reason you cannot, the cover is a flat piece of plastic. The receiver is not tight against the cover. Just may get some rattle noise out of it on the road being left in the hitch without a ball mount, etc.
Sponsored