Sponsored

jdubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Tesla Model S
Would you be able to show the versions you have, as in the attached photo? would be curious to see how the versions compare

Rivian R1T R1S I added CarPlay to my R1T 6C8A532D-0F48-4092-91C8-6EDA66240ACE
Sponsored

jdubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks, though I was really hoping there was a new FW to try :)

My gut tells me this is a BT stack thing though, I'm going to test a spare Android phone I have to see if that has any diff results.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I got a Roadtrip unit today and installed it. I did it a little differently though, see pictures. I didn't love having it block any of my view and it's within easy reach where I installed it Need to see if the adhesive on the base will hold, if not, I can screw in place.

I am having intermittent BT audio choppiness when playing music, turning the Rivian BT off and on again seems to fix it. I am having a major issue with call audio however, it is completely garbled, sounds like an android talking, totally unusable. Seems to be an issue between the unit and the Rivian's BT. Have contacted them to see if they can help, I suspect it has something to do with the bluetooth stack on the unit. Has anyone else encountered this?

If I can get the call audio sorted out, I'll be very happy with this solution. It's not 100% perfect but it does make it a lot more functional, plus it solves my wife and I wanting to have our own Spotify playlists, contact lists, etc.

4B11661E-5AD3-4AE3-B761-C23D1D959CA6.jpeg

0281139E-DC52-46DF-9BC5-DC893ABAAA9A.jpeg

4B11661E-5AD3-4AE3-B761-C23D1D959CA6.jpeg
Nicely done! This looks like a very viable option for me now, provided the BT issues get resolved. Nothing worse than getting a call that sounds like Donald Duck. Unless, of course, it actually IS Donald Duck.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I emailed RJ about the inconsistent pricing treatments, and surprisingly he responded. I replied back to him telling him about my experience so far with the truck and told him my number one request is CarPlay support. I told him I added an additional screen solely to use CarPlay and even attached a photo of the setup. He actually replied again, unfortunately with bad news:

“Regarding your feedback, I wanted to provide a response. At this time, we aren’t planning to integrate CarPlay. Like many product decisions and tradeoffs, we understand that not everyone will agree on this, but we believe that this approach enables us to build a native digital environment that continues to grow and evolve over time without limitation. Given how important this is to you, I wanted to be clear on our strategy and appropriately set your expectations.”

This is incredibly disappointing to hear. I replied again explaining that CarPlay should in no way impede Rivian’s ability to develop their own platform as it’s an optional and supplemental feature.

I highly suggest those who do want native CarPlay or Android Auto please continue to push for it. Email [email protected] and [email protected], contact customer support, tell your guides, etc. Customer pressure reversed the pricing fiasco. Hopefully it can do the same here.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Rivian can’t even take my money for a vehicle, I sure aint gonna pay them monthly for something I won’t use because it is inferior and forced down my throat.

jdubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So, interestingly enough, I tested the Roadtrip unit with Android Auto also and am seeing the same issue with the audio quality for a call. So, it's definitely something between the Roadtrip unit's BT and the Rivian's BT.

On the lack of support for Carplay and Android Auto, I see both sides. Given the Amazon backing and their heavy dependency on staying in Amazon's good graces for the commercial delivery vehicle business, I think RJ's hands are tied. He's just not going to come out and say that but given their heavy focus on providing cool features to consumers in other areas of the car, it's clear this is really out of his hands.

However, they could at least make it easier to integrate 3rd party offerings to support customer's unique needs vs creating a totally closed-door system. That means everything from an API to enable Apps to improve the mobile experience to providing standards-based Hardware integration. Of course, this adds to their lift at a time when they are very early. Many people compare Rivian to the Tesla of today, forgetting that Tesla for a long time was exactly the same way as Rivian is now in the early days, with much more limited mobile experience, no API, etc. And of course, they do not have Carplay either.

Personally, I want to see Rivian nail the basics ( ordering, scaling manufacturing, quality, delivery, servicing, etc. ) first, grow revenue, then move to the higher-order features. They won't go under because they don't have carplay, they will if they don't get the basics right.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
This is incredibly disappointing to hear. I replied again explaining that CarPlay should in no way impede Rivian’s ability to develop their own platform as it’s an optional and supplemental feature.
If Rivian is committed to owning the UX, they have no incentive to offer a competing UX no matter how much you want them to. This is like asking Apple to also put Android on the iPhone so people can choose. They do not want to concede this space and are willing to let people walk (for now) if they are hung up on this issue. They are betting that they have a unique enough offer (like Tesla) to resist.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Great idea and a possible "solve" for those of us who really want AA/CP in their Rivian!

Does the Roadtrip unit connect to the Rivian wifi hotspot or does it connect to your phone?

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I emailed RJ about the inconsistent pricing treatments, and surprisingly he responded. I replied back to him telling him about my experience so far with the truck and told him my number one request is CarPlay support. I told him I added an additional screen solely to use CarPlay and even attached a photo of the setup. He actually replied again, unfortunately with bad news:

“Regarding your feedback, I wanted to provide a response. At this time, we aren’t planning to integrate CarPlay. Like many product decisions and tradeoffs, we understand that not everyone will agree on this, but we believe that this approach enables us to build a native digital environment that continues to grow and evolve over time without limitation. Given how important this is to you, I wanted to be clear on our strategy and appropriately set your expectations.”

I highly suggest those who do want native CarPlay or Android Auto please continue to push for it. Email [email protected] and [email protected], contact customer support, tell your guides, etc. Customer pressure reversed the pricing fiasco. Hopefully it can do the same here.
Thank you for emailing him, and I'm also glad he took the time to respond even though it wasn't what we wanted to hear.

If this is their stance I would also reply back and tell RJ that ignoring CarPlay/AA means the expectations of delivering "a native digital environment" that actually meets all of our needs are going to be higher than ever. Rivian's native solution better have traffic that's as good as Waze; search as good as Google; EV charging station routing as good as [?? I don't know who the leader is in this]; multiple audio and video streaming integrations. Don't want to give your revenue up to Apple or Google? Fine - spend that money actually making something that people want to use.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I also don't understand the apples to oranges comparison of a UX on a $93k vehicle vs a $1k (or free) phone.

One is way more expensive, has significant safety issues, and is a massively large transportation machine. The other already is loaded with everything I need including exceptionally well developed apps already paid for or free.

I can also just stick the phone on the dash instead of being forced to pay for an inferior product just to see it on a larger integrated screen.

Same for the Tesla comparison. They had a wide open field for many years as a quasi monopoly, and to their credit took advantage of it. Not so for Rivian and other EV's, all of whom will also put pressure on Tesla as first time competitors.

The potential for automotive UX revenue streams seems charming, but I'll take the under. Never bought into the notion of my refrigerator needing a computer screen, either.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
If Rivian is committed to owning the UX, they have no incentive to offer a competing UX no matter how much you want them to. This is like asking Apple to also put Android on the iPhone so people can choose. They do not want to concede this space and are willing to let people walk (for now) if they are hung up on this issue. They are betting that they have a unique enough offer (like Tesla) to resist.
How bout we look at another platform... Windows Phone. The Rivian experience seems to have more parallels there. Really good product but small market share. Platform owner is forced to develop third party apps because those apps/services do not see the cost/benefit in developing for it. Is it really feasible for Rivian to develop a truly comprehensive set of applications in-house? It's extremely hubristic for a car manufacturer to think that's feasible. Likewise for dictating which music streaming services their owners have to use or else get a crap, phone via Bluetooth experience. My wife uses Apple Music, I've got an old grandathered YouTube Music plan. Are we supposed to ditch those in favor of Spotify?

You keep making this same garbage argument. You're stuck in your little silicon valley bubble but sadly it seems like RJ might be sitting right next to you in that bubble.

I'm going to give the builtin stuff a shot once I get my truck but I have a feeling I'll be emailing RJ a nice email pushing back on their plans. Or at least requesting a few apps be added (that they won't be able to do). It would be nice if they'd at least add a web browser so you could use web-based stuff. I think I'd be fine with that option.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
How bout we look at another platform... Windows Phone. The Rivian experience seems to have more parallels there. Really good product but small market share. Platform owner is forced to develop third party apps because those apps/services do not see the cost/benefit in developing for it. Is it really feasible for Rivian to develop a truly comprehensive set of applications in-house? It's extremely hubristic for a car manufacturer to think that's feasible. Likewise for dictating which music streaming services their owners have to use or else get a crap, phone via Bluetooth experience. My wife uses Apple Music, I've got an old grandathered YouTube Music plan. Are we supposed to ditch those in favor of Spotify?

You keep making this same garbage argument. You're stuck in your little silicon valley bubble but sadly it seems like RJ might be sitting right next to you in that bubble.

I'm going to give the builtin stuff a shot once I get my truck but I have a feeling I'll be emailing RJ a nice email pushing back on their plans. Or at least requesting a few apps be added (that they won't be able to do). It would be nice if they'd at least add a web browser so you could use web-based stuff. I think I'd be fine with that option.
LOL. I'm in a bubble because I have a garbage argument, which the CEO's actions seem to validate, therefor he's also in a bubble. Sound logic! And to soundly register your disgust, you're going to send RJ $90,000? LOL.

It's probably not worth the effort to respond to your argument since you just seem more intent on being an internet tough guy and attacking me personally but why not...

Windows phone was late to the market and put out software on commodity hardware. Facebook tried (and failed) at the same thing, and eventually abandoned the market.

There were literally dozens and dozens of other phones on the market that could do exactly what that physical device did. TVs are the same. The hardware is a total commodity and the margins in both of those businesses reflect that fact. Would you rather be Nokia or Google? Panasonic or Apple?

How about watches? By your logic, why doesn't Rolex just put Android on it's watches as the market so clearly demands? How can they be so hubristic as to suggest that people want their 18th century metal gears running on their wrists when clearly the market has spoken? I can't even get Spotify on my Rolex, damnit!

Rivian is betting that they have built something unique. That they aren't bringing a Toyota Camry to market which is just as easily swapped for a Honda Civic. And they are betting that the market will reward them similarly to Tesla (another dumb, hubristic, living-in-a-bubble company). And that people like you are going to hold their noses and send them $90,000 checks anyway.

You are free to think that they are stupid and that I'm stupid. They have 3X as many orders as they can fulfill. Does that mean they will be successful in the long run? Nobody knows, including me, but the market is currently behaving in exactly the opposite of the way that you are suggesting that it should.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
[removed the non-sequiturs]

Rivian is betting that they have built something unique. That they aren't bringing a Toyota Camry to market which is just as easily swapped for a Honda Civic. And they are betting that the market will reward them similarly to Tesla (another dumb, hubristic, living-in-a-bubble company). And that people like you are going to hold their noses and send them $90,000 checks anyway.

You are free to think that they are stupid and that I'm stupid. They have 3X as many orders as they can fulfill. Does that mean they will be successful in the long run? Nobody knows, including me, but the market is currently behaving in exactly the opposite of the way that you are suggesting that it should.
Yes, they do have something unique and I, and many others, are buying it because of that. No product is perfect. There has not been a single argument made that explains why Rivian cannot offer AA/CP alongside their own capabilities. What are they afraid of? Yes, development resources are finite but I cannot fathom that AA/CP is as expensive as developing your own apps from scratch. QNX provides the foundation, Rivian would just need to tie it in.

Tesla absolutely is a hubristic, living-in-a-bubble company. I've never heard a more accurate portrayal of Tesla and Musk. They offered a unique product before everyone else, As time goes on, their product is becoming less and less unique and they too will have to compete on merit.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Their incentive is customer demand, just as their incentive to reverse the pricing changes was. I will continue to push for it and encourage others to do so.
Sponsored