Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Well, that would work as well. The music part is the most important to me at the moment.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I just need to create a playlist for whatever I intend to play through the Rivian system? Seems simple enough that even I might not screw it up. LOL
I think a better way to put it is i simply use my phone like a bluetooth device and when accessed through the audio menu on the Rivian, it allows me to play the music from my phone. By playlist, I simply meant I click on a playlist on my phone. Although I am sure if I simply started playing from my phone just from my phone library, that would work as well.

Does that help clarify?

Adam

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Yes, it does. Thank you again.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
So they’d rather forfeit future revenue streams to rival car manufacturers? That’s an interesting choice.
Yeah, it's really crushed Tesla from what I understand.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade & Audi Q7
Occupation
IT
Yeah, it's really crushed Tesla from what I understand.
You are looking at it wrong.

Yes, there is a chunk of the market that does not want CarPlay/Android Auto at all. And Tesla has established themselves as a gorilla in that chunk of the market. Plus this will be a very small slice of the market because you can just not use it.

There is another chunk of the market that will absolutely require CarPlay/Android Auto. They will not consider Teslas. This is the camp I am in. I want to try a pure electric manufacturer, I don’t really want to by an eTron or a Ford electric. But I will be forced to do that if Rivian is stubborn/stupid.

And then there are people who don’t view it as a requirement but would prefer to have it. This will by far be the biggest chunk of the market, probably around 60% - 70%. These folks are going to put a Lightning and an R1T and a CyberTruck side by side and consider the features and pricing. And if Rivian concedes a feature to the competition, they are starting at a disadvantage in that exercise. And Tesla is already well ahead of them because they have an established name and service centers.

So can Rivian survive like this? Of course they can. But they have made it much harder on themselves, and they will grow more slowly. And because it will take millions of vehicles on the road before this becomes a significant revenue stream, the $90k sale to me that they will lose probably exceeds the revenue they would get from that stream in the first few years.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Good work around, just not for me. It is so aggravating because ALEXA is getting less and less functional or my speech is getting worse. She can't find contacts or selects the wrong ones constantly as of Late. I'm almost exclusively using "Hey Siri" when in the R1T.

I think Rivian is making a mistake as the Tesla example was from a different time period in the EV evolution with less/no competition. You can now get other BEV's (not quickly) but there are other choices with much better interfaces. Plus I like my XM channels and TuneIn and Spotify have real world issues.

The key question is what do they gain by fencing out CarPlay and Android Auto? Having those as an option doesn't mean you have to use either of them if you are a purist.

Last edited:

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Good work around, just not for me. It is so aggravating because ALEXA is getting less and less functional or my speech is getting worse. She can't find contacts or selects the wrong ones constantly as of Late. I'm almost exclusively using "Hey Siri" when in the R1T.

I think Rivian is making a mistake as the Tesla example was from a different time period in the EV evolution with less/no competition. You can now get other BEV's (not quickly) but there are other choices with much better interfaces. Plus I like my XM channels and TuneIn and Spotify have real world issues.

The key question is what to they gain by fencing out CarPlay and Android Auto? Have those as an option doesn't mean you have to use either of them if you are a purist.

The gain is simple: data. Navigation data to improve maps / self driving and to provide ancillary services like insurance. App usage, which stores and restaurants you go to, etc etc. it’s the same reasons why google and apple want that data.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
So can Rivian survive like this? Of course they can. But they have made it much harder on themselves, and they will grow more slowly. And because it will take millions of vehicles on the road before this becomes a significant revenue stream, the $90k sale to me that they will lose probably exceeds the revenue they would get from that stream in the first few years.
The number of people who’ve indicated that lack of CP/AA is a showstopper is almost zero. This will not cause them to “grow more slowly”. I would love to see them add it and hope they do. Life is full of compromises.

Sponsored

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
The gain is simple: data. Navigation data to improve maps / self driving and to provide ancillary services like insurance. App usage, which stores and restaurants you go to, etc etc. it’s the same reasons why google and apple want that data.
Anecdotal, but many are eschewing Rivian’s navigation in favor of phone apps anyway (like myself), particularly when they discover MapBox doesn’t hold a candle to Google Maps or even modern Apple Maps.

Rivian gets no data benefit from this, except for one they could get anyway: telematics. There’s nothing stopping them from pulling the native GPS data and OBD data from the truck if you use CarPlay navigation or no navigation at all. The only data they miss from this is POI search and routing preferences, which they aren’t getting from me (and others) anyway.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars

The key question is what to they gain by fencing out CarPlay and Android Auto? Have those as an option doesn't mean you have to use either of them if you are a purist.
Completely agree. The state of infotainment when Tesla came onto the scene was different, coupled with the complete lack of competition in the EV space. CarPlay didn’t exist. Streaming music apps and crowd-sourced navigation were in their infancy. These features sell cars. If they didn’t manufacturers wouldn’t spend the time and resources to put them in.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Anecdotal, but many are eschewing Rivian’s navigation in favor of phone apps anyway (like myself), particularly when they discover MapBox doesn’t hold a candle to Google Maps or even modern Apple Maps.

Rivian gets no data benefit from this, except for one they could get anyway: telematics. There’s nothing stopping them from pulling the native GPS data and OBD data from the truck if you use CarPlay navigation or no navigation at all. The only data they miss from this is POI search and routing preferences, which they aren’t getting from me (and others) anyway.

Good use for a poll. My guess is that the majority are using the built-in nav most of the time.

I always use it. Minimal problems but I’m in north county San Diego where they tested these things for the last couple of years and employees live.

The way you improve mapping is to look at where someone is going, and then when they deviated from the path, had to enter in a new address, turn around, etc. Likewise you look at success rates. You can also compare routes for speed, look at ETA vs actually. It goes on and on. Apple Maps was absolute trash when it came out and is magnitudes better as they got more data and developed upon it.

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
The number of people who’ve indicated that lack of CP/AA is a showstopper is almost zero. This will not cause them to “grow more slowly”. I would love to see them add it and hope they do. Life is full of compromises.
I agree that it isn't a show stopper, but why compromise when a choice could be easily available and implemented. And with Rivian facing talent constraints I'd rather see them working on Mapping/Charging/Phantom Drain ect....

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech