Sponsored

srlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I received this update from support today and thought I would share:

TL;dr: Available shortly with launch edition.

"Thanks for previously contacting us about the dark wheel option within the configuration tool. The good news is the dark wheel option will soon be available for Launch Edition reservation holders! While the details such as pricing and timing of the option have yet to be finalized, we will surely be in contact with you when it becomes available. Feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions!"
Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
I received this update from support today and thought I would share:

TL;dr: Available shortly with launch edition.

"Thanks for previously contacting us about the dark wheel option within the configuration tool. The good news is the dark wheel option will soon be available for Launch Edition reservation holders! While the details such as pricing and timing of the option have yet to be finalized, we will surely be in contact with you when it becomes available. Feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions!"
By popular demand from Rivianforums members!

Interested to see what the mark-up will be. Either way, this was preferred by a lot of us.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
By popular demand from Rivianforums members!

Interested to see what the mark-up will be. Either way, this was preferred by a lot of us.
Current cost bump is +$1700 on non LE's. Probably a number not too different than that.

I'm actually hoping for a $xxxx accessory/upgrade credit on the LE. I'd likely stay with the 21s and add crossbars and apply the rest towards the kitchen or other options that might be available.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Current cost bump is +$1700 on non LE's. Probably a number not too different than that.

I'm actually hoping for a $xxxx accessory/upgrade credit on the LE. I'd likely stay with the 21s and add crossbars and apply the rest towards the kitchen or other options that might be available.
Encouraging. Also want excellent winter wheel/tire option for our tough 5 months of snow and ice. All season not sufficient, as others have noted.

szimmer624

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee Summit - Hemi, Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
Occupation
Self-Employed
Encouraging. Also want excellent winter wheel/tire option for our tough 5 months of snow and ice. All season not sufficient, as others have noted.
Best news I’ve heard all week! If only they had the removal top ready, too...

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
That would be the customer-friendly thing to do, but not the capitalist corporation thing to do :). I doubt they'd go out of their way to give that markup back to the customer. If they did allow this, I would love to get credit for giving up the off-road upgrade and getting dark wheels or the Rivian Blue paintjob instead.

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
That would be the customer-friendly thing to do, but not the capitalist corporation thing to do :). I doubt they'd go out of their way to give that markup back to the customer. If they did allow this, I would love to get credit for giving up the off-road upgrade and getting dark wheels or the Rivian Blue paintjob instead.
I was thinking of it replacing the "free wheel upgrade".
I might elect to keep the 21s for the range, and therefore won't utilize the $1,800 allowed other LE customers that choose the 20s or 22s.
Would be nice to apply that towards paint, kitchen, crossbars or ??

I wouldn't expect them to allow you to delete anything from the LE and get credit for it

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I was thinking of it replacing the "free wheel upgrade".
I might elect to keep the 21s for the range, and therefore won't utilize the $1,800 allowed other LE customers that choose the 20s or 22s.
Would be nice to apply that towards paint, kitchen, crossbars or ??

I wouldn't expect them to allow you to delete anything from the LE and get credit for it
I hear you, and I agree that would be a great option to have. I just wouldn't keep my fingers crossed. It's just a package and if we don't maximize what's on offer then it's our loss, that's how all companies approach it. We don't get a discount on a business class ticket for not using the lounge or skipping a 3-course in-flight dinner. We don't get a discount on our cable TV package because we don't watch a particular set of channels (although this is slightly changing with streaming).

If you want to roll with the 21's and Rivian doesn't allow the credit option, I would look into just getting the highest-value wheels allowed (the 20s or the 22s? not sure) and then doing a third-party sell or swap to get the 21s + some extra $ in your pocket. Kind of a pain in the butt to do for sure, but might be your only option.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Awesome news! Thanks to all who contacted them requesting this. Perhaps we can have equal luck with the 400 mile battery option in the LE! ?

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Honestly, I've had my wheels coated 3rd party on my last 3 vehicles and all it's cost me was $650. $1,700 jump ($3,500 option) seems a bit steep.

I'll probably just do it aftermarket, but I would love to see them both in person before making my final decision.

I'm holding out for the 400+ pack, but does kinda sting when I believe my order number number was sub 500. I was thinking I'd have my R1T first thing in June 2021.

Oh well... Still excited.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Honestly, I've had my wheels coated 3rd party on my last 3 vehicles and all it's cost me was $650. $1,700 jump ($3,500 option) seems a bit steep.
Is that a permanent paint job, or one of those plasti-dip coats that can be taken off? Seems like a good deal either way.

Mathmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Audi Q5, soon an R1T
I just got my model Y wheels powder coated for $450. Had other quotes higher than that, but this shop was highly recommended and fortunately the cheapest. I dont think it should cost more than $750 no matter where you go.

This is a permanent option. I wouldn't recommend plastidip as that will only look nice until you actually drive anywhere.

Rivian R1T R1S Update from Rivian: Dark Wheel Option coming soon for Launch Edition reservation holders 20201122_171359

Rivian R1T R1S Update from Rivian: Dark Wheel Option coming soon for Launch Edition reservation holders 20201129_145629

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
This is a permanent option. I wouldn't recommend plastidip as that will only look nice until you actually drive anywhere.
Powder coating is tougher than paint & shouldn't be more than $150 per wheel.

As for Plastidip, I did the wheels on my 2012 F150 myself. I did meticulously clean/prep, and did 4-5 coats of black & then two coats of clear. It's been at least 6 years & my brother still has those wheels on his F150, and they still look fine. Downside of them is that they seem to get dirty quicker than traditional wheels...that's why I ended up putting aftermarket wheels on mine & let my brother have the plastidip ones.

Before and after:
Rivian R1T R1S Update from Rivian: Dark Wheel Option coming soon for Launch Edition reservation holders 2014-12-15 20.57.39
Rivian R1T R1S Update from Rivian: Dark Wheel Option coming soon for Launch Edition reservation holders 20150120_101706
Sponsored

Last edited: