Sponsored

Blackvue camera(s) install. Will it drain the 12V batteries ?? Do I dare ???

onthebrake

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE - 3/31/2022 Took Delivery
Occupation
Project Manager
So, I've been running Blackvue cameras in my last truck and currently in my MBZ AMG. I really want to install them in my Rivian R1T to capture what idiot drivers due and in case of accident, but do I dare ?? Will it drain my 12V batteries ? I really want to add Battery Tender leads to the 12V batteries, to trickle charge at home, but hesitant to touch the electrical system, hahahaha.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
So, I've been running Blackvue cameras in my last truck and currently in my MBZ AMG. I really want to install them in my Rivian R1T to capture what idiot drivers due and in case of accident, but do I dare ?? Will it drain my 12V batteries ? I really want to add Battery Tender leads to the 12V batteries, to trickle charge at home, but hesitant to touch the electrical system, hahahaha.
Dash cam functionality is said to be coming s00n...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Will it drain my 12V batteries ?
Yes, of course it will. And when they are drained far enough the DC/DC converter will kick in and recharge them from the traction battery. Thie cameras' loads will contribute to the dreaded phantom drain.

OP
OP
onthebrake

onthebrake

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE - 3/31/2022 Took Delivery
Occupation
Project Manager
Yes, of course it will. And when they are drained far enough the DC/DC converter will kick in and recharge them from the traction battery. Thie cameras' loads will contribute to the dreaded phantom drain.
As I assumed . . . thanks for confirming. That's why I haven't installed them. Bummer.

Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I’ve heard the 12V under the dash is switched, so should turn off when vehicle turns off, but it seems the Rivian has insomnia.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Like onthebrake, I can’t stand not having a dashcam in each of my vehicles. I transferred my BlackVue DR750S-2Ch system from my last vehicle; works great in the Rivian! I ran the power wire (with cigarette plug) down the passenger-side A pillar and plugged it in to the power port underneath the center of the dash. This port is essentially ignition switched - meaning it’s not powered up until you enter the vehicle and step on the brake. So, while truck is on and driving I have the BlackVue operating; then when parked and powered down Gear Guard is watching out. Didn’t have to splice into any wiring or even remove any trim pieces to install both front & rear cameras - just tucked the wiring up underneath.

I’d much rather have dashcam functionality via all the built-in cameras, but this setup will suffice until we get that OTA update.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Watching - I'd like to have it on all the time personally. I have a blackvue hard wired in my MX and hopefully by the time I get my R1T someone has figured out how to hardwire one for constant coverage.

Nothing wrong with having 2 systems watching over your car.

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have a DR900S hardwired in my BMW. I just tapped into the fuse box with power going to an always on fuse and a signal wire tapped into a switched fuse. I also used a Power Magic Pro and have it set to record for a max of 8 hours when the car is off or if the battery drops below a certain voltage. I plan on using that dashcam in the Rivian but I am not sure if I can install it the same way and not have it cause battery drain issues. Another option I was looking at was the Power Magic Ultra Battery. That will allow the camera to run when the car is only on and allow the battery to charge while driving so that there is power to run the dashcam when parked.

Sponsored

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Did anyone get a blackvue or anything setup yet? Any idea where the fuse box is? Seems like that is always the easiest way to get constant power.

Yes I know the dashcam is coming s00n but I'd prefer something external, plus having a 4k camera somewhat ensures if you need to zoom in on a plate you can.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Did anyone get a blackvue or anything setup yet? Any idea where the fuse box is? Seems like that is always the easiest way to get constant power.

Yes I know the dashcam is coming s00n but I'd prefer something external, plus having a 4k camera somewhat ensures if you need to zoom in on a plate you can.
Fuse box is under the dash on the passenger side (above where their feet would be)

boredcleaner

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Model 3, R1T VIN 34XX LE Glacier White
Occupation
Engineer
Ya, so they say. I also thought we were getting ''Pet Mode'' in this last update, but didn't happen.
Wait, what? I got pet mode with the update. Even tested it out for fun.
Sponsored