Sponsored

Home charging and expiring tax credits

Chunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
As I understand it, there’s a $1000 tax credit that expires 12/31/2020 for the purchase and installation of a home EV charger. I know that Rivian said they will
Be rolling one out but with 6 weeks left in the year, I’m considering installing a third party charger.

1. Is anyone familiar with the ins&outs of the tax credit? Any gotchas?

2. I’ve narrowed my options to ChargePoint or JuiceBox. First EV so opinions/reviews are welcome.
Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Get the Chargepoint - I've had mine for 10 years and it's been great.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Juicebox is what Rivian installed for Long Way Up, and the direction I was leaning. However, I'm going to be able to spend the $1000 on electrical upgrades alone, so I'm going to wait and see what Rivian offers...I have a feeling there might be some sort of "special sauce".

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Juicebox is what Rivian installed for Long Way Up, and the direction I was leaning. However, I'm going to be able to spend the $1000 on electrical upgrades alone, so I'm going to wait and see what Rivian offers...I have a feeling there might be some sort of "special sauce".
Regarding the special sauce - I'd be happy just to have a single app for micromanaging vehicle and charging, particularly during the colder months when I may want to make sure things are warmed up before I leave the house. Are you speculating as to what features they may have, or just waiting it out?

I'm also guessing any tax credit will be extended, replaced with a similar benefit, or something like that.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
To be clear, it’s not a straight $1,000 credit. It’s 30%, up to $1,000.

So if you spend $1K between the charger and the install, you’d get a $300 tax credit.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
We have been having a reliability problem with the J-1772 on our ChargePoint Home. They do not offer a replacement cord and made no effort to make it right (I don't think they even offered us a discount on a newer model). Our unit was only weeks out of warranty when the problem cropped up. We also had our first ChargePoint home replaced under warranty for a similar issue, though that was relatively painless. We won't be buying from them again if we can help it.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
As stated by @cohall , it is indeed 30% and up to $1,000 credit (for residential installations, commercial cap is $30K)
If you spend $3,334 you'll max out the tax credit (panel and service upgrades qualify if required to accommodate the installation).
Both Enel X and Chargepoint have good reputations, though in the past Chargepoint has had some compatibility issues with some vehicles (usually the vehicles get a software update, not the EVSE).
Enel X (Juicebox) gets more complaints about WiFi connectivity, and more recently more quality issues as well.
The Chargepoint cannot be installed and be totally compliant with the NEC (fewer issues if hardwired). The Enel X has some of the same issues, but I have not installed a recent version to know exactly which they have addressed.
Clipper Creek is another made in the US option to consider. The Grizzl-e is a Canadian company getting good reviews.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Clipper Creek HCS-50P Plug-in, 40A, L2 EVSE, 240V, NEMA 14-50
This is the one I went with. 60 amp would give you the max but it is hardwired if you don't mind that.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Juicebox is what Rivian installed for Long Way Up, and the direction I was leaning.
We wonder who manufactures the Rivian branded EVSE. Is this a clue?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
We wonder who manufactures the Rivian branded EVSE. Is this a clue?
Possible partnership. Interesting thing is that Rivian was hiring for EVSE engineering positions. I'm wondering if they might have some of their own IP in whatever gets released.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I expect those guys are being hired to engineer the Adventure charging network rather than the EVSE they are offering to us a buyers. What I was suggesting was that were I in their position I would not design and build wall chargers for garages. I would go to the existing manufacturers of one of these boxes and see who wants to strike a good deal.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I like the Enel X JuiceBox plug-in 40 (Nema 14-50) myself. Will be interesting to see if there will be a collaboration, whether a package discount or other cool benefits, between Enel X and Rivian. I like the WiFi or "smart features" of the Juicebox, as smart features are the way of the future I feel, especially with smart grid integration and other eco friendly options.

I personally like the 40 amp, plug-in options on a 50 amp circuit. Don't need to hardwire anything, adds more flexibility if wanted, whether for mobility, repair needs, upgrades, etc. As it stands now, a 40 amp solution is more than enough for my needs and semi-future proofs things for a least a little while. Basically a 9.6 kW charging solution that should fill up the vehicle in an absolutely acceptable time period.....for me.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I personally like the 40 amp, plug-in options on a 50 amp circuit. Don't need to hardwire anything, adds more flexibility if wanted, whether for mobility, repair needs, upgrades, etc. As it stands now, a 40 amp solution is more than enough for my needs and semi-future proofs things for a least a little while. Basically a 9.6 kW charging solution that should fill up the vehicle in an absolutely acceptable time period.....for me.
In reality, if a 40A EVSE will not provide enough charge overnight, a 48A unit is also at least somewhat likely to come up short. It's a pretty narrow operating pattern where 9.6 kW is not enough but 11.5 kW is.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
In reality, if a 40A EVSE will not provide enough charge overnight, a 48A unit is also at least somewhat likely to come up short. It's a pretty narrow operating pattern where 9.6 kW is not enough but 11.5 kW is.
This is something I keep debating myself. I'm trying to think through the hypothetical scenarios where I will be limited. My normal weekly driving routine will be fine with a 110V outlet, no concerns.

Maybe a weekend in the mountains, getting home on Sunday, headed to the airport on Monday for a business trip? A 30A circuit would be enough.

For some unknowable circumstance that I can't think of now, there is an EVgo charger 10 minutes away...

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Interesting. From what I’ve read and watched to date, which apparently were the wrong sources if what you’re saying is correct, even 32A would be mostly sufficient. FYI. I’m not looking to fill the vehicle from empty every night. I highly doubt I’d be even 1/3 to half empty 95 percent of the time.

Would you be willing to provide some layman’s terms/examples? This would be my first EV so I’m sure there are some factors I’m excluding. Thanks.
Sponsored