Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
I'm not real sure the whole point of the configuration process. Other than if you configured a Launch Edition, you can eventually order one (but can change to another configuration later).
If you did not configure a LE, you can't now switch to one. That may change if people bail on the LE that configured one "just in case".
Zero commitment to anything as far as we have been told (except maybe choosing between the R1T and R1S)
Marketing and creating perception for demand, that’s all it seems to be right now.

And I’m a believer.
Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
To clarify:

You can change everything right up to the day you have to commit to purchase. The one thing you do NOT want to change before then if you want to keep it is Launch Edition. You might lose the option if you do that. I'm thinking that's strictly an EA period thing and not a quantity limit. If you change your mind on R1T or R1S but still want LE from here on out, I would definitely chat to Rivian about it before trying that. But you can experiment with configs for your chosen model all you want and simply not save them. That should be fine.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
General public access (no preorder required) to the Rivian configurator will begin on 11/23 at 9AM PST.

I'm confused about the Launch Edition being full. When I spoke with a support rep last week, she confirmed that my configuration could be changed at any time over the next few months. She made no mention of the LE being closed at some point.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I'm confused about the Launch Edition being full. When I spoke with a support rep last week, she confirmed that my configuration could be changed at any time over the next few months. She made no mention of the LE being closed at some point.
I'm sure you are no more confused than Rivian is. Has to be a mad house for any manufacturer.

• Haha
Reactions: Jay

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Launch Edition has always been a limited quantity. She may not have said it, but it's been all over the website.

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Not sure why you’re confused. They’ve said since they announced the configurator launch date that Launch editions were limited, and if you want one you should configure one quickly.

You can still make changes to everything else about your configuration, except changing off of the Launch edition model.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Probably worth talking to them to see if they can reset you to an LE selection if you had something else picked out. It appears it was limited to the EA period, not in quantity.

Rivy

First Name
Rivy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LX570
My guess is this is a marketing move...

Stay tuned in May 2021 for an announcement on "factory efficiency is off the charts and the Rivian team have been able to build an additional 5,000 LE models for our lucky customers".

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Not sure why you’re confused. They’ve said since they announced the configurator launch date that Launch editions were limited, and if you want one you should configure one quickly.

You can still make changes to everything else about your configuration, except changing off of the Launch edition model.
That wasn't explained to me when I asked specific questions in my call with the support rep. It is contradictory to tell us that any changes in the configuration can be made until some future undisclosed final order date.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Well Rivian should be excited that their initial offering had so many takers so quick. I shouldn't be surprised how fast it went but I am impressed. I am already silly to be spending this much on a truck so went with the $67.5K version which already includes enough features for me and will wait then see if I really have the guts to pull the trigger. In the mean time those of us in this boat can listen up for all the real life feedback and reviews from all you LE people. Looking forward to it.

Sponsored

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
That wasn't explained to me when I asked specific questions in my call with the support rep. It is contradictory to tell us that any changes in the configuration can be made until some future undisclosed final order date.
I understand it as an early preorder, we get first of the LE/Adventure/Explorer production, but once you switch out of an LE you can’t get back in, you’ll still be earlier for an Adventure/Explorer than whatever they give people for est. delivery starting with tomorrow’s reservations. I guess we’ll see at 9am PST ...

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
FWIW I sent Rivian an email telling them that I configured My R1s Adventure package because I wanted to wait for the big battery and was told that I will be in line for the max battery R1s once it is announced and still get priority based on my preorder date.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I understand it as an early preorder, we get first of the LE/Adventure/Explorer production, but once you switch out of an LE you can’t get back in, you’ll still be earlier for an Adventure/Explorer than whatever they give people for est. delivery starting with tomorrow’s reservations. I guess we’ll see at 9am PST ...
While your preorder date should improve your priority no matter what model you select, don't expect that to be reflected in the dates shown in the configurator. I'm sure it will continue to show "Deliveries starting in January 2022" even for people configuring without a preorder, as that is technically true. You won't get an actual delivery estimate until you finalize your order.
Sponsored