Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Kind of hard to lift stuff over the tailgate and place items all the way to the front otherwise...
Honestly, the manufacturer of the shell/camper top will probably incorporate the cutouts needed for gear tunnel button, tie downs, and tailgate button access.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I have R1S on preorder. I know it has height adjustable suspension but am hoping it also rear loadlevels automatically for trailer tongue weight. Any body heard?
Yes, directly from the web site:
Rivian R1T R1S What We Know - Collecting Information Directly From Rivian r1s_auto_level

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have R1S on preorder. I know it has height adjustable suspension but am hoping it also rear loadlevels automatically for trailer tongue weight. Any body heard?
It will automatically level from what I’ve read.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I stated in the past that Porsche Taycan required panaramic roof at first and 6 months later they came out with the metal roof. My belief is the suppliers have a big say in all of this. No coincidence that Rivian is doing the same thing.
I sent an email asking about the roof options prior to my chat - just got the reply today from Emily:
" There is no sliding material to cover up the glass roof. However there will be a command option that enables you to have the roof go from translucent to fully opaque. It is optimized to keep our UV rays as well. " Fully opaque might do the trick for me as long as it works - time will tell...

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I sent an email asking about the roof options prior to my chat - just got the reply today from Emily:
" There is no sliding material to cover up the glass roof. However there will be a command option that enables you to have the roof go from translucent to fully opaque. It is optimized to keep our UV rays as well. " Fully opaque might do the trick for me as long as it works - time will tell...
Woah woah woah woah.

Isn’t that the same thing as the electrochromic roof option that got canned?

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Kind of hard to lift stuff over the tailgate and place items all the way to the front otherwise...
I was thinking of this type of camper shell.
Rivian R1T R1S What We Know - Collecting Information Directly From Rivian 1605914918362

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
From the McLaren article

“A glazed, electrochromic panoramic roof panel is available for $9,100. At the touch of a button, the tint of the roof glass can increase from 30 to 95 percent.”

So now I’m super confused. First they (Rivian) said the electrochromic roof is canned, but now apparently the tinted roof can be commanded to go from transparent to opaque

Am I missing something, or is Rivian fully contradicting itself now

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
From the McLaren article

“A glazed, electrochromic panoramic roof panel is available for $9,100. At the touch of a button, the tint of the roof glass can increase from 30 to 95 percent.”

So now I’m super confused. First they (Rivian) said the electrochromic roof is canned, but now apparently the tinted roof can be commanded to go from transparent to opaque

Am I missing something, or is Rivian fully contradicting itself now
My understanding is the current feature just goes from opaque to clear. Previously, the planned electro-chromatic option could go from varying shades of a blueish tint. If the feature rivian is talking about now is what I'm familiar with, when the feature is activated the glass turns a foggy color and you can not see through it at all.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Oh, well that’s a weird detail to change. My previous understanding was that the electrochromic roof had been nixed in its entirety.

But really they just changed the degree to which it can be adjusted?

Huh.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
But really they just changed the degree to which it can be adjusted?
No, they have changed it from electrochromatic to photovoltaic.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
I thought photovoltaic meant that it converted light into energy. Like a solar panel. wouldn’t any panel that changes opacity when exposed to an electric charge still be considered electrochromic?

Admittedly, this is very much not my area of expertise.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I thought photovoltaic meant that it converted light into energy. Like a solar panel. wouldn’t any panel that changes opacity when exposed to an electric charge still be considered electrochromic?

Admittedly, this is very much not my area of expertise.
I thought the panorama roof would just be photochromatic...

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
Could be something like this I suppose:
http://www.invisishade.com/
Google: lcd window shade
They’ve been available for architectural use for a while. Not sure the pricing, but would seem that it would have to be cheaper in order to do large windows and such...
Sponsored