Sponsored

Oil leak - maybe rear drive? [RESOLVED]

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I found oil spots in my garage, looked under the rear end and saw oil dripping down from the center of the rear axle area. The oil feels like a lightweight motor oil, not really like a brake fluid. I don’t know if this could be an oil in the drive motors or maybe something from the suspension?

I called for service and they are going to get the truck in and advised that I minimize driving it.

[UPDATE] Rivian inspected the leak and found a failed seal on the upper drain plug of the rear drive unit. They replaced the seal, drained and refilled the unit with fluid, road tested it, did general diagnostics, and returned it to me. Overall it was a very good service experience. They provided me a rental car and coordinated to pick up the truck (on a flatbed) around my schedule.

Rivian R1T R1S Oil leak - maybe rear drive? [RESOLVED] 2591B08F-2B97-4FE8-9F9D-5094C732B6F9
Sponsored

Last edited:

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Overfill on hydraulic fluid probably like the other person who had the same item

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I had a bad rear drive unit and also a suspension leak. See if the color is blue on a clean paper towel. They took mine in, with one day in my possession, and replaced the rear drive unit and the compressor. Good luck, but they seem to want to do the right thing to make sure it is perfect. They had it back to me in less than a week.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SanClementeRivian
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had a bad rear drive unit and also a suspension leak. See if the color is blue on a clean paper towel. They took mine in, with one day in my possession, and replaced the rear drive unit and the compressor. Good luck, but they seem to want to do the right thing to make sure it is perfect. They had it back to me in less than a week.
It is not blue… more light honey color like motor oil.

Which is the blue fluid from the drive unit or suspension?

OP
OP
SanClementeRivian
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It is not blue… more light honey color like motor oil.

Which is the blue fluid from the drive unit or suspension?
Never mind… I found the fluid color decoder ring on another similar thread:

Notes about the colors of fluids in the Rivian:
- Brake fluid is Red
- Drive lube is Yellow-Brown
- Hydraulic dampener fluid is Blue
- Coolant of engines and battery is Blue

So I think mine is drive lube, and hopefully it was just overfilled like someone else mentioned.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
It could be an overflow (they may have over-topped the fluid, hence why it's spilling out), or it can be a legit leak. Definitely put in a call for Rivian to check that out.

Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Search the forums for "diaper"

No, really.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

It doesn’t really taste like anything. Smells like a light weight motor oil or mineral oil.

Does that give you any ideas?
hmm what was the aroma? was it full bodied? if it had some earthy tones it was Hydraulic from the sway bar system.

OP
OP
SanClementeRivian
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Search the forums for "diaper"

No, really.
That’s actually how I found this forum! Was searching for a tailgate diaper for my mountain bikes.

Rivian is picking up the truck this Friday and estimate 1 day to inspect the rear drive system. We’ll see!

FormerRIVTech

First Name
Yaqui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Occupation
EV Auto Technician
I found oil spots in my garage, looked under the rear end and saw oil dripping down from the center of the rear axle area. The oil feels like a lightweight motor oil, not really like a brake fluid. I don’t know if this could be an oil in the drive motors or maybe something from the suspension?

I called for service and they are going to get the truck in and advised that I minimize driving it.

Anyone else seen a similar issue or have any ideas what this might be?

2591B08F-2B97-4FE8-9F9D-5094C732B6F9.jpeg
If ur in SoCal I can inspect for you? Former Tesla Technician and former Rivian Tech 14+ years Auto Tech experience.

FormerRIVTech

First Name
Yaqui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Occupation
EV Auto Technician
I'd recommend taking off the lower shield and inspection of mating surfaces on DU assembly, as tradition with all leaks, it good to wipe, spray brake clean, wipe,use leak detection spray, on fittings and seals, drive on freeway for 3 exits, bring back for inspection. You'll like find the problem urself. I specialize in EV inspections, EV purchase inspections, and DIY assistance is primarily my experience after release from Rivian.
Sponsored