Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Is there a manual back up way to access frunk? Tunnel in case there's no power?
There is, as @OverZealous pointed out, but I picture getting back to the truck after a hike, messing with a multi tool to open the frunk, getting the jump battery from the frunk, and connecting to the rear leads. I’d rather just take the jump battery with me.

I never had to consider this before since I’ve never owned a vehicle without a way to gain access to the interior with only a key in case of a dead battery. Even my Corvette with electric door latches had a mechanical lock for the rear hatch above the license plate, a lever to open the driver’s door from the (now open) rear hatch area, and a hood release once the driver’s door was open. This gave a way to gain access to the vehicle interior where you could store a jump battery and the place to connect the jump battery with no tools required, just a key.

If there were a way to add a mechanical lock override for the frunk that would make this a lot easier. Maybe something like this emergency release lock typically used for garage door openers to pull the manual release from outside. It could be mounted in the front fender liner or under the bumper with a watertight cover. Then we’d have key access to the frunk in the event of a dead battery.
Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I'm glad they replaced your batteries. Although they're certainly "injured" after a deep draw to 5v, usually you can trickle charge them up and get another year or two of life out of them. That's usually the "default" repair.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
Fix / update by @bael who had the same issue:

Link: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...attery-trickle-issue-needs-software-fix.5313/

Got the truck back.
The module that tells the truck it’s going to sleep and the high voltage should trickle the 12v doesn’t always tell it. It’s being worked on, hopefully the next software update contains the fix.
12v batteries got replaced because of it.
Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen again before another update.

Original post:

This morning I got into the truck and both screens were in night mode even though it was daytime. When I attempted to shift into drive multiple warnings popped up. Service airbags, a red truck icon with an exclamation point and others. Was in a hurry so I left. Came back about an hour later and same warnings were on.

Called Rivian service and they started asking questions and I sent them pictures of the screen. We attempted a full reboot (left steering wheel button and hazard flasher button). When I attempted to shift into drive even more warnings popped up including the tortoise. Service advisor said let it go to sleep and he'll get tech support. After 45 minutes the screens wouldn't come on. Just got off the phone with Rivian again after being unable to unlock the doors. They will get back to me. Not great. Had the truck about 5 weeks. Loved it otherwise...
This stinks.

It also may explain why some buyers may opt for the Ford Lightning.

The Rivian has so many cool features, and the ride, acceleration, towing capacity all seem to be class leading, but some people value no hassle reliability higher.

I am hoping Rivian can get a lot of those bugs worked out quickly in the first year. They have been testing the R1T for a couple of years now, so you would think there wouldn't be too many of them.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It also may explain why some buyers may opt for the Ford Lightning.
imagine having the same problems, but needing to go to a ford dealer to have them addressed. No thanks

Sponsored

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
imagine having the same problems, but needing to go to a ford dealer to have them addressed. No thanks
I am pulling for all EVs...whether it is Rivian or Tesla or Lucid or Ford.

Ford F150s are pretty reliable vehicles. If Ford produces Ford Lightnings that are as reliable as their ICE F150s, consumers should be pretty satisfied.

Ford sells about 800,000 F150s a year for a reason. THOSE buyers might hesitate to switch to the Rivian brand if they are concerned about reliability.

....patiently waiting for my R1T......

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Ford F150s are pretty reliable vehicles. If Ford produces Ford Lightnings that are as reliable as their ICE F150s, consumers should be pretty satisfied.

Ford sells about 800,000 F150s a year for a reason. THOSE buyers might hesitate to switch to the Rivian brand if they are concerned about reliability.

I was referring more to the dealership experience(generally a miserable affair) rather than any concerns about quality with a bread-and-butter product.

mstealth22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger 2019
I knew this, but I thought the secondary redundant 12v system would still work... ;) I was wrong.

Lol isn't this the truth? "We know you shouldn't have drained the HV battery or the 12V would call it quits, and you should know that too."
Even my 6 year old VW GTI will not let the 12V get low enough to not start. All power systems (steering, aircon, radio) will enter a low voltage mode which tells you the battery is about to go. A feature I love because every other car I owned would just not start one morning.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
I knew this, but I thought the secondary redundant 12v system would still work... ;) I was wrong.
This is definitely a "should never, ever happen in an EV." Need redundant systems in place! REALLY bad to see an EV being towed away, not good for PR.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
You think your ford dealers are bad come stateside. Everyone in Canada was super nice by my expectations!

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You think your ford dealers are bad come stateside. Everyone in Canada was super nice by my expectations!
Oh I have stories there too

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I was referring more to the dealership experience(generally a miserable affair) rather than any concerns about quality with a bread-and-butter product.
Ford service has been pretty hit and miss for me. Sometimes they are great, sometimes it's frustrating. Honestly they aren't any better or worse than Tesla service. We'll see if Rivian can improve on this.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Ford service has been pretty hit and miss for me. Sometimes they are great, sometimes it's frustrating. Honestly they aren't any better or worse than Tesla service. We'll see if Rivian can improve on this.
Yep.
The monthly-pay FSD subscription // Tesla plaid owner comes to mind where his car was in repair for months and they would not refund the subscription.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
This is definitely a "should never, ever happen in an EV." Need redundant systems in place! REALLY bad to see an EV being towed away, not good for PR.
There is, I believe, enough redundancy. The problem is that the BMS (or some other intelligent resource in the vehicle) should be spending some of your precious phantom drain to monitor the 12 V batteries and charge them when they need it and this clearly is not being done properly at the moment. If this function were being properly carried out then the 12V batteries would not be found dead. Clearly there is a design problem here.

Tesla had similar problems with the 12 V batteries in their cars but it turned out to be the batteries themselves. As the designs evolved more and more demands weere being made of them and they discharged and charged more than was good for them.

Rivian needs to fix this BMS problem tout suite.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF

Yeah... Ford will totally be immune.

Rivian R1T R1S Truck is bricked! Update FIXED!   [12v battery trickle module software issue] 1652815430931
Sponsored