Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Quick question about the wheels... Can anyone confirm if the road wheels are better for quiet and ride comfort if I'm doing virtually all road driving? I really like the look of the all-terrain wheels but don't want to sacrifice ride comfort and a louder ride for the off road wheels. I'm also assuming the sport wheels will be the least comfortable for ride comfort but maybe quieter than road? Thanks in advance for any advice!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Quick question about the wheels... Can anyone confirm if the road wheels are better for quiet and ride comfort if I'm doing virtually all road driving? I really like the look of the all-terrain wheels but don't want to sacrifice ride comfort and a louder ride for the off road wheels. I'm also assuming the sport wheels will be the least comfortable for ride comfort but maybe quieter than road? Thanks in advance for any advice!
20" wheels should have the best ride quality, but sacrifices some perfomance/handling due to larger sidewalls. AT tires will be louder (we don't know how much), and I will replace those with AS tires once they wear out. I wish there was an AS tire option with the 20" wheels, but the 20" wheel is a must have for me.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
20" wheels should have the best ride quality, but sacrifices some perfomance/handling due to larger sidewalls. AT tires will be louder (we don't know how much), and I will replace those with AS tires once they wear out. I wish there was an AS tire option with the 20" wheels, but the 20" wheel is a must have for me.
That's one of the things that might become an option later on. Particularly if they get a lot of feedback in that direction.
Feedback seems to have driven them to rethink the lack of a 7 seat option on the R1S with more range.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
It would not baffle you if you were in my shoes, I left few details out of the original post. I currently use Tesla S with rear facing seats, the rear facing seats have a height limit for the children who can use them, i got 4 kids, and 3 of them are triplets, the extra wait time means the little gremlins at some point will cross that threshold. So 1 year longer wait, is logistically problematic, because I would have to either rent/lease a 7 seats, or get the model X ( which I am trying to avoid at all cost )

I will definitely be happy with 135Kw R1S, but the 180Kw means I can do all my out of state trips without stopping to charge. At the end of the day, it might even be available before my numbers comes up, but if it wasn't, yes I will be disappointed, and yes I will be still be happy with the 135K.

Hopefully that gives you a better context.
It reinforces my bafflement.

Your non-negotiable situation is:
"I really need a 7 seater."

Before they updated the website last week, your outlook was:
"I really need a 7 seater, I'd really *love* for it to be long range, but it will never exist"

After they updated the website last week, your outlook became:
"I really need a 7 seater, I'd really *love* for it to be long range, and that will exist! It might not match up with *when* I need it, but sometime is a better time than never"

I think by any objective measure, the outlook improved.

When my life outlook gets objectively better, I am usually happy, not disappointed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sponsored

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
When I went to configure I didn't see an option for the max battery and I don't want to preorder the 300 mile battery when I am willing to wait for the larger one. Will I lose my place in line if I don't configure? Or am I missing something. I only saw the 3 trim levels, and exterior and interior choices but no option to wait for the Max battery

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
That's one of the things that might become an option later on. Particularly if they get a lot of feedback in that direction.
Feedback seems to have driven them to rethink the lack of a 7 seat option on the R1S with more range.
A related piece of feedback - the dark wheels look really slick, and it's a bummer they are not *currently* an option for the Launch Edition R1S.

Boy, wouldn't it be great it if those dark wheels are available for the Launch Edition R1S too.

Hint, hint.

Also, please stop with the changing story in regards to what will be available when, and what information will be available when. Most reasonable people appreciate that plans can change, and in my experience giving people a heads up is a polite and low-stakes way to course correct, rather than springing last-minute surprises.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Few questions after playing with the config
1. How much with the roof rails will cost?
2. Will the R1S LE come with a full size spare, or will it at least have room for a full size tire?
3. How flat will the back of the R1S will be with the seats folded?
4. How much will they charge for the tow hitch?
5. Could I swap the R1S 20in wheels for the 20in wheels in the R1T.

Let me know if you've heard the answer to any of these questions or if you have any guesses.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
When I went to configure I didn't see an option for the max battery and I don't want to preorder the 300 mile battery when I am willing to wait for the larger one. Will I lose my place in line if I don't configure? Or am I missing something. I only saw the 3 trim levels, and exterior and interior choices but no option to wait for the Max battery
Max Battery shows up for R1T, but not R1S.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I second everything Bubbuino on #368 says. We're heard two different stories on the R1S seats folding flat: nearly flat and flat, as in flat-flat. If it's not flat-flat, I may have to switch to the R1T, especially for the R1T 20" wheels. And, yes, a full size spare, please.

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
Revisiting the fold flat question. Perhaps they've changed since this video was shot in February 2020... but it stretches the word "nearly" when referring to flat. That said, I'm okay with it-- I need the third row far more than I need flat stowage. The 5:25 mark is when they hit the back of the R1S. And, yes, a kid is narrating-- and some of his info is now dated.

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
Nearly flat is apprently 3 degrees, which is pretty darn flat...

https://rivian.com/support/article/do-the-second-and-third-row-seats-fold-flat
It may well be three degrees but the seat itself stands above the back floor when folded (at whatever degrees) -- watch the video at 5:25 minute mark. As I said, I'm less concerned about this for my purchase... but my eyes tell me that what some see as flat they will not see as flat after seeing this section of video. Of course, perhaps Rivian has changed it for production....

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It may well be three degrees but the seat itself stands above the back floor when folded (at whatever degrees) -- watch the video at 5:25 minute mark. As I said, I'm less concerned about this for my purchase... but my eyes tell me that what some see as flat they will not see as flat after seeing this section of video. Of course, perhaps Rivian has changed it for production....
Yes, it's definitely been improved since that prototype. I saw the same R1S at Fully Charged Live in Feb & talked to them about it there.
Sponsored