Sponsored

Issues for Service: Anyone Have Luck Fixing These?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The standard alignment can be done by anyone who knows what they are doing. There are typical eccentric bolts and adjustments on the suspension for toe, camber and caster. It’s pretty easy to align it actually. Assuming you have the specs from Rivian, The service team should be able to share this info.
Mobile tech replaced my wheel well liner (riviot rivets wouldn't stay in, holes were too big) and fixed the loose gear tunnel escape button. He confirmed alignment is off but needs it at the shop, same goes for the whistling triangle window. Sounds like easy fixes, hopefully they can squeeze me in next week before our road trip! 🤞
Sponsored

omamatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure; 2020 BMW X5
Any update from service on the squeaks and rattles?
Not a happy camper. The creaks were loose bolts. They fixed that. Almost everything else they touched is worse that when it went in.

omamatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ummm…..doesn’t sound good! What else was it in for?
Charge port door alignment (worse now). Driver door rubbed on front fender (now rubs on rear door). Hood rubbed gasket on passenger side near windshield (now rubs worst there and entire fender out of alignment).

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
They need to make an effort to get it right out of the factory. It looks like if you have to get it fixed, it may be a crapshoot pending competency at your particular service center.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
They need to make an effort to get it right out of the factory. It looks like if you have to get it fixed, it may be a crapshoot pending competency at your particular service center.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought every truck went to a service center prior to delivery? It will take time for the service techs to get up to speed to know what to look for in a new vehicle inspection. And given the relatively tiny amount of service centers (compared to legacy automakers), I bet they are booked solid for service and spend very little time currently on new vehicle inspections.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought every truck went to a service center prior to delivery? It will take time for the service techs to get up to speed to know what to look for in a new vehicle inspection. And given the relatively tiny amount of service centers (compared to legacy automakers), I bet they are booked solid for service and spend very little time currently on new vehicle inspections.
OPs note gives me the impression, the issue is a bad hire not insufficient training. If the OP as an untrained individual without a checklist could identify the problems and point it to the tech and still get it back with issues, that service center will be serving a lot of unhappy owners, especially if the tech that worked on it is the same one that check the vehicle new before delivery (I am not sure if they are the same people). If QC is done in factory, high volume could translate to better experience.

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Mobile tech replaced my wheel well liner (riviot rivets wouldn't stay in, holes were too big) and fixed the loose gear tunnel escape button. He confirmed alignment is off but needs it at the shop, same goes for the whistling triangle window. Sounds like easy fixes, hopefully they can squeeze me in next week before our road trip! 🤞
Ask for the before and after printout from the alignment. Confirm the camber and caster and toe are all in spec and same/same on both sides. I would ask them to add as much caster as they can (high 4.x’s or low 5.x degrees), IMO trucks are better with more caster which adds a hint of numbness on center vs. darty steering like in Go cart.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Sorry to hear this, please keep posting details and photos if you can - this is helpful to other owners and for Rivian. PM me if you want to chat offline, happy to share some advice and knowledge from the body work I do.

I have had the same experience so far with my truck and local service team. An overconfident service team with good intentions but little real world experience. Nice people who have been well trained on platitudes and provided a Rivian jacket…but their results speak for themselves. Most shops have tenured folks to train and coach the newer staff over time. Let’s be honest - the grey beard shop guru with 30 years experience is probably not making the jump from Porsche or Toyota to Rivian in the second half of their career. Not trying to say the Rivian team’s are bad people, it will just take time for them to get experienced and until they are experts they need to slow down and take their time To get repairs right.

Body work is hard and very different than technician work. It is something you want an experienced person doing. There are too many tricks and things you only pick up after doing body work on all sorts of different cars.

Many Tesla owners are quick to jump on the defense when people point out body issues, saying it’s not that bad or I owned a Camry once with a bad body line. Reality is body work all has to fit pretty much perfect or else a tiny issue/gap at one end of the car can lead to a big gap or issue by the time you get to the other end. Likewise something like a door catch/latch not aligned right can be dismissed as “i just have to slam that door a bit harder to close“ - while it’s flexing the door hinges and the door will start to wobble and squeak on the hinge pins a couple years down the road.

My guide told me the trucks go through 4 inspections at the factory plus the Pre Delivery Inspection… so how do they miss obvious body fit issues with rubbing?

After the techs scratched and chipped my paint, made my passenger door worse and just left trim and the front-end unclipped I decided to rectify the truck myself. I am ”decent” at body work, not an expert but much better than whoever attempted to fix my rig. I got things fitting right so they were not rubbing or bending the door hinges any more. The service manager was overly nice but also didn’t seem to address the fact that they made it worse. The guy said “we did our best and we were really happy with the result… but don’t worry we will keep trying until you are happy”. I had to bite my tongue not to say WTF does doing your best have to do with it! either it’s right or it’s not.

I ended up speaking with my guide and Tony C. himself. I mentioned their team seemed focused on “getting me to yes” instead of getting the job done right. I let him know that I’m not comfortable letting the service center touch my truck for any future issues without a clear plan on what will be done and how they will do it before work starts. Tony and my guide were super helpful and after I spoke with them the service team had a totally different approach with me…much more transparent and giving me options on how I want to proceed. I still have an issue with the truck pulling right after two Rivian alignment attempts and my friend who sets up my race car and is an alignment wiz. I think is a motor or steering box issue - Car tracks straight in neutral, on/off power it pulls right - stay tuned.

Back to you - I would reach out to your guide and let them know what happened. Ask them to notify ”Tony” and that you expect a resolution plan you can review and approve before any more work is completed on the truck. No more drop it off and hope for the best since they have broken your trust.

One idea - If there is a local body shop that is Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini certified you could push to have Rivian sub the work out to them, most brands usually sub body work out. Those brand certifications require thousands of dollars a year and tons of factory training to remain certified. No one has higher standards than Porsche.

Hang tough… this is some BS… but rest assured it can be fixed. Rivian is trying to do the right thing even though their execution missed the mark on this one. The guides and Tony are great people and will not leave you hanging.
Posts like this make me glad Rivian forgot about me. Looks like it might be a couple years before some service centers are up to par.

Sponsored

omamatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry to hear this, please keep posting details and photos if you can - this is helpful to other owners and for Rivian. PM me if you want to chat offline, happy to share some advice and knowledge from the body work I do.

I have had the same experience so far with my truck and local service team. An overconfident service team with good intentions but little real world experience. Nice people who have been well trained on platitudes and provided a Rivian jacket…but their results speak for themselves. Most shops have tenured folks to train and coach the newer staff over time. Let’s be honest - the grey beard shop guru with 30 years experience is probably not making the jump from Porsche or Toyota to Rivian in the second half of their career. Not trying to say the Rivian team’s are bad people, it will just take time for them to get experienced and until they are experts they need to slow down and take their time To get repairs right.

Body work is hard and very different than technician work. It is something you want an experienced person doing. There are too many tricks and things you only pick up after doing body work on all sorts of different cars.

Many Tesla owners are quick to jump on the defense when people point out body issues, saying it’s not that bad or I owned a Camry once with a bad body line. Reality is body work all has to fit pretty much perfect or else a tiny issue/gap at one end of the car can lead to a big gap or issue by the time you get to the other end. Likewise something like a door catch/latch not aligned right can be dismissed as “i just have to slam that door a bit harder to close“ - while it’s flexing the door hinges and the door will start to wobble and squeak on the hinge pins a couple years down the road.

My guide told me the trucks go through 4 inspections at the factory plus the Pre Delivery Inspection… so how do they miss obvious body fit issues with rubbing?

After the techs scratched and chipped my paint, made my passenger door worse and just left trim and the front-end unclipped I decided to rectify the truck myself. I am ”decent” at body work, not an expert but much better than whoever attempted to fix my rig. I got things fitting right so they were not rubbing or bending the door hinges any more. The service manager was overly nice but also didn’t seem to address the fact that they made it worse. The guy said “we did our best and we were really happy with the result… but don’t worry we will keep trying until you are happy”. I had to bite my tongue not to say WTF does doing your best have to do with it! either it’s right or it’s not.

I ended up speaking with my guide and Tony C. himself. I mentioned their team seemed focused on “getting me to yes” instead of getting the job done right. I let him know that I’m not comfortable letting the service center touch my truck for any future issues without a clear plan on what will be done and how they will do it before work starts. Tony and my guide were super helpful and after I spoke with them the service team had a totally different approach with me…much more transparent and giving me options on how I want to proceed. I still have an issue with the truck pulling right after two Rivian alignment attempts and my friend who sets up my race car and is an alignment wiz. I think is a motor or steering box issue - Car tracks straight in neutral, on/off power it pulls right - stay tuned.

Back to you - I would reach out to your guide and let them know what happened. Ask them to notify ”Tony” and that you expect a resolution plan you can review and approve before any more work is completed on the truck. No more drop it off and hope for the best since they have broken your trust.

One idea - If there is a local body shop that is Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini certified you could push to have Rivian sub the work out to them, most brands usually sub body work out. Those brand certifications require thousands of dollars a year and tons of factory training to remain certified. No one has higher standards than Porsche.

Hang tough… this is some BS… but rest assured it can be fixed. Rivian is trying to do the right thing even though their execution missed the mark on this one. The guides and Tony are great people and will not leave you hanging.
It’s all little things. They will get it sorted out. Sending mobile service when I have time. I could adjust them all myself…but the point is it was better before they ‘adjusted’ things.

pticknerco

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Chevy Duramax, Mazda CX5
Taking my Australian built, zero issue, perfect fit&finish Holden Commodore SS-V / Chevy SS out this morning to remind my how much I love cars. Haha

989BFFF6-267C-446E-B4BB-68FD6A660A1A.jpeg

View attachment 21566
I'm not sure what year you have, but Commodores in general have a really high recall/problem rate. The 2013-14 ones were recalled numerous, numerous times, as were the 2016 and 2018-19 models. I've got friends in Australia who have had lots of issues with their ZB. I think it just kind of goes to show that you can be lucky, or unlucky. Looks like you're lucky!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I'm not sure what year you have, but Commodores in general have a really high recall/problem rate. The 2013-14 ones were recalled numerous, numerous times, as were the 2016 and 2018-19 models. I've got friends in Australia who have had lots of issues with their ZB. I think it just kind of goes to show that you can be lucky, or unlucky. Looks like you're lucky!
That or you didn't recognize the sarcasm.