Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Yea, I understand maybe people don't like that exactly what they said is not the case now, but I think saying we can't trust them is going a little far. How many concept and prototype vehicles have been at car shows over the years and the manufacturers have said "oh yea, coming out next year, exactly the way you see here" and then the final production item is WAY different. It doesn't mean I don't trust them to install the airbags.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
So, honestly now, you would not mind if they switched to a dual motor instead of a quad motor design? That is exactly what you are saying here.
If they found that they could provide better, the same, or very nearly the same performance at a reduced cost and/or increased reliability I would not mind in the least.

I guess your position is even if Lidar increased complexity and cost with little to no significant performance benefit and also delayed production to get it working they should have stuck with it a all costs?

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
So, honestly now, you would not mind if they switched to a dual motor instead of a quad motor design? That is exactly what you are saying here.
Those aren’t my words so that’s not “exactly what I am saying”. Everyone is very disappointed that they have to wait a little bit longer for the pack they want. As far as statements said in the beginning, how can you know exactly what is going into this vehicle without proper testing. I believe they have done a lot of testing and seeing what does and what does not work.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The Rivian R1T has a power trunk. It's just in the front.

Which - depending on when Tesla and GM ship - will literally be the first pickup ever to have a power frunk.

Your Saab, however, doesn't even *have* a tailgate for its non-existent truck bed.

Rivian: 1
Saab: 0

;)

Well I am obviously comparing it to the R1S which I hope has a rear power trunk/hatch or what ever you want to call it.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I think you misunderstand our concern. It has nothing to do with Lidar vs Radar (or 135kw vs 180kw).

It is simply that Rivian said one thing and delivered another.

How can we trust anything they tell us now? What else will they say and then do differently?
And people wonder why they've been so quiet for two years. Imagine if they had shared more about what they were considering doing... people would be livid at the number of changes!

Seriously though, Lidar was to support Level 2 at launch with a path to Level 3 as they gather data. Seems they determined that sensor was unnecessary to achieve those goals. If they don't need the data from Lidar to satisfy their autonomy goals, why include the sensor? Would you like to strap one to the top of your truck just so you can say you have Lidar?

Changing from 4 independent motors to a dual or tri motor config would have materially altered the vehicle's capabilities. Dropping Lidar after they did the testing to determine it was a superfluous cost inflater? I guess most people on the internet just enjoy being upset.

Sponsored

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
From J.R.:

Glad you asked! Through the course of development, we determined that Lidar was no longer necessary to deliver our targeted capabilities. With 10 external cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors, 5 radars and a high precision GPS (with HD maps), we are able to deliver hands-free driver assistance
Hands free driver assistance is not the same as level 3 or level 4 autonomy. This is really disappointing.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Hands free driver assistance is not the same as level 3 or level 4 autonomy. This is really disappointing.
Right. More like level 2 or 2+. Just like they have said from the very beginning. Level 3 will roll-out later, after more data has been collected from the "fleet".

CO_R1S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet 2500HD, Preorder R1S
Occupation
Engineer
They could never Launch at L3 no matter what. They need the group to fill the brain with data first.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Regarding the released information so far, I'm going to fall into the camp of - "I'll wait for more details but currently not upset at all"

• Honestly, I'm not disappointed. The LIDAR vs. RADAR discussion is a "happy vs. glad" conversation. Pick either, i'll likely not notice a difference, and really don't care. I don't think many would be able to discern the lack of or increased functionality of one vs. the other.
  • Nothing was really an "oh crap" scenario for me personally with respect to release/production dates, as I am currently driving a 2 year old vehicle and don't "need" a new one at this point.
  • I'm happy to wait for my 180kWh 5 seater R1S in El Cap Granite. I'm going to have to day trade pretty heavily for me to feel justified throwing down that much cash anyways ;)
  • The extra time will afford Rivian the necessary time to work out some/many kinks in the process (hopefully), giving me a more clear glimpse behind the curtain, especially with vehicle reviews, test drives, new announcements, extra goodies, etc.
  • The extra time allows their charging network additional time to be built out, the service process to get squared away, etc.
  • I like the Explore package. It's cheaper. I'm not an "audiophile" and thus don't need spaceship surround sound. I don't like the wood grain interior, so that's a big plus. Ventilated seats is unnecessary in my opinion. It adds complexity and parts that can break. Plus, i'm sure my A/C will be working!!
  • I'm not going to be rock crawling anytime in the near future, so I don't need the super duper reinforced underbody. And, I already own an air compressor and a bluetooth speaker!
  • The one thing that does quasi-concern me is the roof and the UV/tinting/protection options or lack thereof. I'm willing to bet a shiny penny that someone over the past few years thought about this topic, made a pro/cons list on a napkin somewhere, and had a plan B. Time will tell.
  • I'm going to bet .33 cents that Car Play and/or Android Auto can or will be added.
  • I just hope the cupholders aren't janky!!! That's where i draw the line!!!!!
  • Oh, and I need "on-demand" folding mirrors, otherwise I don't see the mirrors winning the fight with the garage entrance.

Last edited:

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I don't know if anyone else posted this, but I was told today that all R1Ts will come standard with a full size spare - meaning it is not an optional item.

Me: Are there any packages/upgrades that come with the full size spare? Seems like a good thing to have in the off-road upgrade...

J.R.: Not to worry! All R1Ts will come with a full-sized spare tire!
I hope you and other ppl are screenshotting these support chats so we can hold rivian to these statements.

Sponsored

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
Two Things: Glass Roof & Trailer Hitch

On the glass roof...will there be no microfiber cover? No way to block the sun, or shade the little ones with a stock product? Is that a bit of a concern for anyone?

Trailer hitch. i see no mention. Does the LE or adventure package include a trailer hitch set up?
Honestly, I thought the same thing on my Model S without a power-shade or something and bought a cheesy kind of mesh thing that folds up and snaps in place, but have never used it. The tint in the glass is really plenty dark (at least here in the Northeast)

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I'm super bummed my 180kWh R1T will take until 2022 to get here. But how about this plan:

Step 1) Get second reservation today
Step 2) Nov 16: Use first reservation to order LE R1T
Step 3) Order 180kWh R1T on second reservation
Step 4) June 2021: take delivery of LE R1T
Step 5) Immediately sell the first R1T for a profit. Collect tax credits for 2021
Step 6)Jan. 2022 Take delivery of 180kWh R1T. Collect tax credits for 2022

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
  • I'm going to bet .33 cents that Car Play and/or Android Auto can or will be added.
Nope. Sorry. Confirmed that these were left out on purpose. Rivian feels their solution will be better overall.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles