Sponsored

There's some stuff that bugs me about the configurator/LE process

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Remains to be seen just what "fairly" and "essentially" flat translates to. It was nowhere close to flat in the prototypes but by extended the length of the vehicle they seem to have been able to get that down. And I really don't want to have a 3rd row seat that I will never use taking up space in my garage. With no 180 kWh pack and no 5 seat variant, sounds like LE is out for me.
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I just spoke to Customer Service (RIS) to clarify a few things:

1. The Launch Edition only has 7 seats. But other than losing some potential storage (?) since the seats fold fairly flat there is no real difference. The Back Row can also be removed with a little effort.
2. No indication as to what time the Configurator is being released on the 16th.
3. It was not clear to me if they are really limiting the number of Launch Vehicles. However, I was told once you are able to configure you are guaranteed a Launch Vehicle.
I wonder if the configurator will open earlier for people who put their money in first.
Morning for 2018-19
Afternoon for 2019-2020
Evening 2020- now
This may at least give really early pre order holders a chance to look around the config and decide of they want the LE.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Remains to be seen just what "fairly" and "essentially" flat translates to. It was nowhere close to flat in the prototypes but by extended the length of the vehicle they seem to have been able to get that down. And I really don't want to have a 3rd row seat that I will never use taking up space in my garage. With no 180 kWh pack and no 5 seat variant, sounds like LE is out for me.
I asked specifically about whether the LE was 7 seat only & was told the 3rd row can be deleted from the LE, but is included in the price of the package.

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I wonder if the configurator will open earlier for people who put their money in first.
Morning for 2018-19
Afternoon for 2019-2020
Evening 2020- now
This may at least give really early pre order holders a chance to look around the config and decide of they want the LE.
It looks like they corrected site to say you only need to get your order in during the early access period to be guaranteed an LE truck.

CO_R1S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet 2500HD, Preorder R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Hypothesis:

I would think they will still build them based on your deposit seniority. I doubt the order of which the configurations come in matters. Only if you don't configure and 'lock in' a launch edition by end of next week will you lose your build spot to someone that preordered yesterday who wanted a L.E.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Hypothesis:

I would think they will still build them based on your deposit seniority. I doubt the order of which the configurations come in matters. Only if you don't configure and 'lock in' a launch edition by end of next week will you lose your build spot to someone that preordered yesterday who wanted a L.E.
Agreed. The way they worded it before made it look like first-come first-serve.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I asked specifically about whether the LE was 7 seat only & was told the 3rd row can be deleted from the LE, but is included in the price of the package.
Someone else here posted that they were told LE was 7 seat only but that the 3rd row was easily removed (I read that as by the consumer). Sounds like they are planning a big release of R1S info "soon" so between that and the configurator, we should get some clarity.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Someone else here posted that they were told LE was 7 seat only but that the 3rd row was easily removed (I read that as by the consumer). Sounds like they are planning a big release of R1S info "soon" so between that and the configurator, we should get some clarity.
Plus a video, don't forget the video

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I wanted the 180KW pack. If I configure on Monday and they say "opps, LE has sold out", I will have to re-evaluate if I stay with Rivian.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
@trickflow If the friend that ordered 3 months ago is also getting the 180 kWh pack, he will get his considerably later than you will get yours. I pre-ordered in 2019 so I will get mine after you get yours but before your friend gets his. This is assuming nobody defers final order commitment when the time comes.

@davrow_R1T @trickflow where are you guys seeing that pre-order position means nothing? Even beyond pre-orders, delivery will still be first come first served and based on vehicle configuration (something they have stated all along). My only beef is that we had been lead to believe both 180 and 135 packs would be available at launch, something they've clearly tossed out the window with no more explanation than:
I suppose I should clarify my statement on this. What I mean is that not getting the 180 kwh pack is a no go for me. He is thinking he may get the launch edition. As I was promised (even press release says so) that the 135 and 180 kwh batteries will be available at launch, he can get his truck before mine. Now I know this is just a first world problem, but if I have to wait until January 2022 or even the later part of 2022 I am no longer one of the first to get this truck, hence there was no reason for me to put down a deposit to be one of the first to get it. It's not a big deal in terms that I have a vehicle I can go overlanding with, it is just a disappointment that I will not be able to get what was promised in the timeframe that makes me happy putting down money early, if that makes sense.

To the second part of your post, I agree with that. I will be in line before anyone else with the same pack and trim build, but people will be driving this for over 7 months (the 135 kwh pack) before I can even think of getting delivery.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
To the second part of your post, I agree with that. I will be in line before anyone else with the same pack and trim build, but people will be driving this for over 7 months (the 135 kwh pack) before I can even think of getting delivery.
And those that want to standard pack to save money, or want the removeable roof, steel roof, or who knows what other options that will come later will also have to wait. They have standardized on a fairly specific vehicle with limited options for the first run. Makes sense in lots of ways. Most (all?) of the complaints are coming from those that wanted something different than they chose as their first run.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
And those that want to standard pack to save money, or want the removeable roof, steel roof, or who knows what other options that will come later will also have to wait. They have standardized on a fairly specific vehicle with limited options for the first run. Makes sense in lots of ways. Most (all?) of the complaints are coming from those that wanted something different than they chose as their first run.
I agree with you, and I understand. My issue is with not releasing the 180kwh battery pack as promised. I would have made compromises if it was just time levels. But this is just me. I am sure Rivian will do really well, it just will be with me not purchasing one given that the timing is not right for me and the motorized tailgate (which for launch I would have compromised without) are not there. That doesn't mean I won't look at them again in the future.

Jmiller929

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES Mercedes SUV
Edit: I may have misread something. I could have sworn it encouraged people to order early because LE was limited, not that it was saying to order during early access because LE was limited. I still want to know some of this other stuff though.

Double-edit: The site now suggests you only need to get in during the early access period to be guaranteed an LE truck. Possibly not ADD+mid-life-senile on this one as I've seen a couple of other people claim they saw the old version now.

For the record, I'm actually very excited to finally get some more concrete info. I was thinking 135KWh anyway, so the that's also in my favor, but there's still some stuff that bugs me:

* Pre-order # doesn't appear to matter for launch edition. Somebody could preorder now and have just as good of a chance of getting LE as I do. That's the difference between presumably before January 2022 and not before January 2022. If I'd dropped a grand on day 1, I would find that more than just a little frustrating. There was a not-at-all-technically-challenging way to handle this, but too late now I guess.

* Because I have no idea how many LEs are available, I have to be quick to pull the trigger on Monday morning.

* I'll have to be quick and probably won't know, for basis of comparison, how much a 180KWh version will cost. Or how many cheaper options I'll be able to trim the cost down with, come January.

* I'll be making that rushed decision probably without any knowledge of what my financing options are.

* I don't specifically know when on Monday morning. Like midnight? 5am? During work hours? Nor, again, what the actual LE quantity is so I have no idea how early I need to try to be or when early is.

I think it would go a long way if Rivian could share the following information before the 16th.

* When are the emails supposed to go out?

* What % of Rivian R1T and (separately) R1S preorder holders are going to be able to get LEs if none of us decided to wait for other options.

* How much are long and short range likely to cost? We've been waiting on this info since January. It would be nice to be able to make an informed decision on whether to wait.

* Will there be options available for 2022 Adventure that are more affordable than the options we don't have for LE.

* What are the financing plans? I dropped my preorder at the January price drop. Now if I want a truck before 2022 it's going to cost me 6 grand more than I'd hoped and it looks like I can't even trim any of the options at this point. I would like to know what my options are for paying for it and whether the rebate will be discounted/floated for some or all financing options.
Do you have the get the launch green or can you get any color in LE?

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
y'all can have my LE spot. 75k is too much for me
Sponsored