Sponsored

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

So I got into it with the R1T today. First with a hose on "Shower" setting, then on the "Jet' setting, and finally with my pressure washer. The good news is, the truck is very well insulated. Even the tonneau cover held water out incredibly well for the most part. The bad news is I found a major flaw (which I'm sure has been discussed here before). The charge port cover opens if any water touches it. I made a thorough video of the whole thing which I hope you guys enjoy:

Sponsored

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lucid Air Touring
On all the EV's I have owned with automatic charge port doors I found the charge port cover opens like this if the car is Open (unlocked) and you have the keys on you if any water touches or a wet cloth touch the sensor they all open the port door. I always lock my car and hang up the key when doing the pressure wash part of the detailing on my Taycan so the ports stay closed.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
doesn’t seem like a major flaw when ensuring the truck is locked and/or making sure automatic unlocking via phone is disabled when washing, to make sure the charge port cover doesn’t open, is explicitly mentioned in the manual.

my car with capacitive sensors in the door handles will lock/ unlock itself when washing. R1T charge door is apparently no different.

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
Never had the door in the Model S open like that. Not that I ever would, but what happens if you take it through a car wash?

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Yeah... That is an annoying part about smart keys and capacitive touch areas.

Just gotta lock the vehicle and not have the key(s) near it.

The carwash stories I've heared of the port opening in neutral are bothersome.

I'm of the opinion that a physical button would be best for the charge port.

Sponsored

Stephe

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
It
Think I saw car wash mode on latest ota, idk if it addresses this or not

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Car wash mode is coming on next OTA update - it’s apparently only been released to employees’ vehicles at this time. Someone on Reddit posted the change log of everything in the update, but that post was deleted quickly.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Car wash mode is coming on next OTA update - it’s apparently only been released to employees’ vehicles at this time. Someone on Reddit posted the change log of everything in the update, but that post was deleted quickly.
What about rain mode? Does the charge door open every time you unlock the car when it's raining?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
What about rain mode? Does the charge door open every time you unlock the car when it's raining?
Nope. I live in WA, and if the rain opened it is surely know it...

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Think I saw car wash mode on latest ota, idk if it addresses this or not
Yes it is in the next version, so this “major flaw” is already being addressed.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
doesn’t seem like a major flaw when ensuring the truck is locked and/or making sure automatic unlocking via phone is disabled when washing, to make sure the charge port cover doesn’t open, is explicitly mentioned in the manual.

my car with capacitive sensors in the door handles will lock/ unlock itself when washing. R1T charge door is apparently no different.
To me, it's an issue because a simple switch would avoid these issues. But for some idiotic reason people love these capacitive sensors that have false positives and are more prone to failure.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

As the physicists on this board will attest, water is dielectric and so if you wet the capacitive sensor on the R1T, the vehicle is unlocked, and the key is with in range, you will open the charge cover door with water.

I unlock the doors of my i3s when washing my car if the key is on me if I get the capacitive door handles wet.

If someone would like to submit a ticket to RIVIAN requesting that they alter physics, I would be very interested to hear their response.

Now to the OP's point - maybe there is a way to remedy this through software. The easiest fix, like others mentioned, is a Car Wash mode which disables the charge port door.

Another option might be to disable the capacitive button if the rain sensor detects water such that you need to open the door from the inside using the display (or through the key fob if that is possible).

Last edited:

Tomgriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 70D, 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier, T700
Never had the door in the Model S open like that. Not that I ever would, but what happens if you take it through a car wash?
Same here, in all my washes on my MS I've never had the charge port door open even when I had the handles presenting.
Sponsored