Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
And just for giggles, I did the same route using a 180 kWh R1S. It computed a time of 5h47m and just one charging stop. Luxury! Honestly, that's a two rest stop trip for me anyways. Just one stop on a 6 hour drive is pushing it for me. And it isn't as if I do that trip very often...
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
right on the website - spares are optional:

Truck bed
Load in dirt bikes or sheets of plywood on a structural composite bed that’s wear and corrosion resistant. Two 110V outlets, a lockable, weatherproof tonneau cover and room under the bed floor for an optional full-size spare are standard on all vehicles.
I read that too, but this is what the rep told me today, so....

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Not related to battery range, but did anyone else pick up on the mention of games on the touchscreen?!

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! 35E30BF2-741D-4D66-A62D-B57903FF88BE

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Pretty sad to hear this. I reserved a Rivian for the 400 mi. Might be time to consider other options.
In all sincerity, please reply to this thread when you find a 400+mi BEV truck that is available before Jan 2022.

I'd consider others available sooner.

But my money's on the Cybertruck being delayed, and I wouldn't want the Hummer even if it were in the same price class.

In other words, my money's still on the R1T

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Pros:

10 colors (More colors then I was expecting)
Price drop 67K for 135kwh pack
Full size spare (for free)
22" Wheel option for the R1T
Special Edition Launch Model and Color
Non-wood interior dash option (IMO)
Ventilated seats (YES!)
360 Elevation Audio (Dig the name)
HP bump to 835?
400+ Mile Range Confirmed (Unlike GM 400, but actually 350 mile range)
Camp Kitchen is real and you can get it!
Dedicated Rivian Chargers
Hey we've been asking for a configurator and we got it coming 11/16!
June 2021 Finally arriving (Take that 2020 year of Covid)

Cons:

No 400+ mile range out of the gates (more waiting)
No lidar
No power/multifunction tailgate
No drop down rear window
Rear seats heated??? (I mean it is an 80k truck... Dodge Ram???)
200v charging 140 miles in 20 min (I was expecting 250V and more miles in less time)
No adjustable thigh support
No Camera Rearview Mirror option that I'm aware of

Overall I feel like there's more good then bad with what Rivian has offered up with the new website and the R1T will be a great product regardless. I can see how some may be disappointed by certain things, and rightfully so there are some really big downsides to some information they've now posted. There's a strong argument to be made that traditional full size trucks such as the new F-150 and Dodge Ram (let alone redesigned GM's coming) can very well out perform the Rivian as far a functionality and convenience go, and have good price point value. Yes they're all "trucks", but they're different kinds of trucks so I'm okay with that.

I honestly feel that being forced to wait for a 180kwh Rivian will be a good thing for me even though I too placed a preorder back during the LA Autoshow reveal. It'll let some of the dust settle and kinks get worked out along the way. I'm still happy I preordered the R1T and honestly the build up and events along the way have been worth the wait without question! Still the coolest vehicle preorder I've ever seen and been a part of! But the margins for what Rivian is offering up have narrowed in lieu of its immediate competitors (Tesla, GM, Lordstown) and I absolutely can feel the frustrations of preorder holders who have been trying to plan their next or first EV purchase and now have yet another setback forcing them to wait even longer.

This is not the first time Rivian has shined in the spotlight, but maybe the first time we've seen team Rivian lose some of its luster by way of some of the changes they've decided to make.

All and all I'm still excited, more good then bad.

Last edited:

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Was Musk just bad at explaining himself when it came to Lidar and he actually knew something? I just assumed cheap, but...

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
People around here are freaking out about the 135 kWh battery pack and it really isn't that bad. A Better Router Planner actually has data on projected ranges for the R1T and R1S with various battery sizes. I just tried a test going from my house to a ski hill about 6+ hours away. I used the same settings (drive at 120% of speed limits, add 200 pounds of cargo, etc.) for a 135 kWh R1S and for my (latest) version of the long range Tesla Model X. Here's what the trip looks like in the R1S:

1605157921057.png

Two charging stops and 6h 18m total time. And in a long range Tesla Model X:

1605158199354.png

Huh. The Tesla Model X takes LONGER and has an EXTRA charging stop.

The algorithm optimizes for shortest time. I haven't analyzed this yet, but I am guessing it thinks the Rivian can charge faster for longer than the current Model X can. And the Rivian estimate is obviously an ESTIMATE, it could very well be slightly wrong. But whatever, BIG PICTURE here. At least on this somewhat challenging route, the 135 kWh R1S is roughly equivalent to a current 2020 model long range Tesla Model X.

Try it out yourself on routes close to your home comparing to a long range Model X and see what you come up with (use the detailed settings to set settings that are accurate for your type of driving).
Lol I played with it in the past too trying to find a worst case scenario. The 2020 X and the 135KWH seem comparable with 18 and 17 charges respectively, but the 180kwh would only need 11 charges. However, there is only ~3hours difference for a total trip time which isn't much.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! SmartSelect_20201109-035406_ABRP

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! SmartSelect_20201109-035154_ABRP

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! SmartSelect_20201109-034926_ABRP

Sponsored

Headingley

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
Hi,

First post here. I have some question about the launch edition. It seems like it comes with the 7-seat version only. Normally I would have selected a 5 seat version...the question is what is the tradeoff with having 7 seats? e.g less room underneath the floor board? Less overall trunk space? weight? Other?

I would like to order the launch edition...so if the tradeoffs with the 7 eater is minimal. might just jump in now.

craptacular

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Was Musk just bad at explaining himself when it came to Lidar and he actually knew something? I just assumed cheap, but...
It is my understanding based on some other forums that Musk was against Lidar at the beginning because of the cost. And then once cost dropped enough they were already in too deep with their FSD system to consider a retrofit. Kind of annoying with Rivian since they have said from the beginning that they would have it and have now just removed it quietly.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
People around here are freaking out about the 135 kWh battery pack and it really isn't that bad.
Please understand I am not trying to freak out but I have voiced my disappointment. I am one of the probably few people on here looking at this car for very different reasons than most of you. In that I expect to be on road trips much of the time. My wife and I are about to be empty nesters where we will be doing road trips much more often (especially if we can both work from the road) You are right in that there's not as much difference in the batteries than I originally imagined. I'm spent the last 9 months doing all my planning and what if scenarios with the Rivian R1S 180kWh on ABRP. An hour here or there isn't the end of the world. I just compared a trip from Austin, TX to Anaheim, CA (A trip we take often) and the total time difference 2h 12m most of that due to a few sections of reduced speed between longer stretches. The 300kWh version only calls for 1 extra charging stop. So certainly not too bad.... Still I would be less disappointed if the R1S 180kWh version was an option... right now it's not even Jan 2022.. "Announcing at a later date" is really disappointing

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Hi,

First post here. I have some question about the launch edition. It seems like it comes with the 7-seat version only. Normally I would have selected a 5 seat version...the question is what is the tradeoff with having 7 seats? e.g less room underneath the floor board? Less overall trunk space? weight? Other?

I would like to order the launch edition...so if the tradeoffs with the 7 eater is minimal. might just jump in now.
Hopefully the configurator shows a clear picture of the trunk with the seats down. Wondering if it'll be flat...

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Hi,

Welcome to the boards - It has always been my understanding that the main trade off between 5 and 7 seat version is the changes to the 3rd row foot well area. The largest battery pack was supposed to consume the footwell space of the 3rd row necessitating their removal. If the largest battery is not an issue for you (which isn't available anyway right now as has been discussed) I think the only "trade off" will be the space and weight that the seats take up in the car. If they are folded it should look almost identical to a 5 seater?
Would the 5 seater have an extra storage well forward of the spare tire well if you hadn't opted for the largest battery pack...?? that was never discussed as far as I know. I could certainly see them providing an extra storage well since in a 5 seater that well space would be dead area again assuming they keep a flat floor which I think most people would want. Of course we haven't even seen the R1S in a 5 seat configuration so it's just a guess as to what they will do with that dead space.

Edit: I say the largest battery pack was "supposed" to consume the footwell.... As we all know now They appear to expect to grow the battery without intruding into the footwell now... maybe by higher density batteries... but the method isn't yet clear.
Sponsored