Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Sorry, I should’ve clarified. The part about if you pre-order today you have just as much of a chance of getting a car early as somebody that pre-ordered two years ago. But I’m reading a press release about it now, and it looks like you were right.
Gotcha, yea I should have clarified as well - I mean that a person pre-ordering today would have a chance at getting a Launch Edition sooner than someone who wants the 180kwh pack specifically. I'm sure that a 2yr+ pre-order customer would get their Launch Edition much sooner than a new customer.
Sponsored

JMR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep GC WK2 | Previously: Audi SQ5, GMC Canyon, many others
Heated and ventilated seats are called out in the Launch Edition and Adventure package, with the Explorer package only having heated seats.

I was concerned after seeing nothing about a heated steering wheel... Per Emma from chat support, all Rivians will have heated steering wheels. Woohoo!

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
So per my last comment, the standard panoramic roof is NOT the electrochromic one. It’s just the fixed glass roof.

I gently pressed J.R on whether the electrochromic roof would even be an option anymore, and he said that they hadn’t announced anything about that yet, and that all available options would be viewable in the configurator

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
So per my last comment, the standard panoramic roof is NOT the electrochromic one. It’s just the fixed glass roof.

I gently pressed J.R on whether the electrochromic roof would even be an option anymore, and he said that they hadn’t announced anything about that yet, and that all available options would be viewable in the configurator
This seems to be key. Maybe it’s not ready yet, though not ready by 2022 would be disappointing.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
The launch green is the ONLY color you can get with the launch edition.
I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted what they said, since.
"Special Launch Green paint color option"
and option means choice!

Sponsored

NitroCorey

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SRX Cadillac Ford f150 Harly Davidson
I hope there’s at least 5000 of the launch edition because I want one

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I just don't get why manufacturers are starting to consider spares optional.
60-70+ lbs of additional weight and the associated storage space is why.

craptacular

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
I don’t know why, but the omission of lidar kind of bugs me. I know Driver+ is included and not a $10K option like FSD with Tesla, which is great! However, after having advertised/talked about the lidar sensors for so long it just feels disingenuous for them to disappear quietly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
How exactly ?
No electrochomatic roof. Delayed timing unless you want the launch edition. No lidar. No “well equipped mid-battery model with Electrochromatic roof” for the promised $69k. No standard spare tire. No drop down or power tailgate.

In general, I’d argue that the information released today contained more bad news than it did good, for many people.

for some, today was a good day. Just depends on your priorities.

Last edited:

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I don’t know why, but the omission of lidar kind of bugs me.
If they determined that lidar didn't actually benefit the system, then you don't need it. I was hoping they had some sort of innovative idea for using lidar, but I guess not.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
When will the Hummer be available?
Hummer deliveries start next fall, but no exact delivery dates beyond that. I will configure my Rivian on Monday and see what happens, it will definitely not be next year for me, as I will configure for 180KW. If the Hummer ends up beating the Rivian delivery date, and if Rivian only supports 200KW charging, then it is likely I may get the Hummer, sometime in 2022.

200KW charging is not "state of the art" at this point. Tesla's charge at 250KW, the Porsche Taycan is 270KW and Hummer is 350KW. My plan is to have a vehicle that I will keep well into my retirement and I want it to be "state of the art". An OTA will not get a 400V system to 300 or 350KW, it has to have 800V charging. It is obvious now the Rivian has not designed the initial vehicles with the 800V charging capability, and that is disappointing to me, now that others have set the bar higher.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
If they determined that lidar didn't actually benefit the system, then you don't need it. I was hoping they had some sort of innovative idea for using lidar, but I guess not.
Or maybe they are dumbing down LiDAR and just calling it RaDAR, since the technologies aren't that drastically different.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Happy with the update, but still a few questions in my case:

-60/40 second row seat: Would have preferred 35/30/35. Still no confirmation (I had received a positive answer a while back via e-mail) that the seats will tilt with a car seat attached – a huge deal for people with large families like me.

-The purpose of an SUV is to transport people and cargo. Performance and style are great, but stuff needs to fit for any of that to matter. I find it strange no leg room, hip room and cargo room behind 3rd/2nd row numbers were published. The rear storage bin is the space under the second-row seats, or under the 3rd row cargo area? What about the actual space behind the third row? Pictures with roller bags, people seated, dogs would have helped.

-Infotainment: No mention of CarPlay/Android auto…

-Safety: Great news that all the nanny systems will be standard, but if Rivian is really benchmarking Bentley: Will all 3 rows have pre tensioners/load limiting seatbelts? How many airbags?

-Again, they indicated they were benchmarking the best for the interior, yet only lumbar adjustment is discussed as a front seat option. I was expecting, in this price range (and considering the links to Ford), at least something like the multiple air bladder system found in Platinum trims and hoping that Rivian would have sourced the 30 way perfect position seats from Lincoln. Is one lumbar adjustment all we will get?

-Pretty sure I will be choosing a Launch Green exterior… Hard to tell if the lighter option of the 3 ash wood interior combinations would go with the green. I find the black wood less appealing and maybe green on green could be a bit much.
Sponsored