Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I hope the online configurator can price it for us with the 180kwh battery pack? In which case we will know on Monday
At present prices of about $150/kwh the difference between 135&180KW is about $6750. But, the 180 variant has some batteries under the rear seat I believe so that may increase the cost some for the engineering difference.

luriaj

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Datsun 269Z
I am still unclear...If you don't get the Launch Edition, do you have to wait until 2022. If you do get the Launch Edition, does it have to be Launch Green?

EVJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Honda Pilot, 2012 Hyundai Veloster, 2019 Infinity Q50 Luxe, 2020 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Sales
GM already has prototype Ultium batteries being tested with packs ranging from 50KWH to 200KWH. Their new factory is under construction in Lordstown, this is not vaperware. Some of these batteries have been installed and tested in retrofitted Bolts.
Right, I am aware of their double stacked 800 volt Ultium battery system. My point is they do not have a working Hummer with this battery pack configuration fully functional and able to back up the charging statement. Additionally, the 100 mile in 10 minutes will be from a very low SOC, similar to how Tesla's BMS works. From my personal experience on road trips, I spend's about 15 min at a charging station to get enough range to move on to my next destination before charging again. So to that end, the difference in 100 miles in 10 min or 140 in 20 min really isn't a big deal, it will really be based on your current SOC when you go to charge.

EVJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Honda Pilot, 2012 Hyundai Veloster, 2019 Infinity Q50 Luxe, 2020 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Sales
I am still unclear...If you don't get the Launch Edition, do you have to wait until 2022. If you do get the Launch Edition, does it have to be Launch Green?
This seems to be the impression they are leaving. Launch Green/Adventure Package - June 2021. other colors Adventure or Explorer Package - Jan. 2022

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
So the starting price for 135kWh version of the R1T/R1S is $67500/$70000 respectively. 180kWh versions for R1T/R1S are Jan2022 and TBD. However, it looks like they will have a 7 seat version of the 180kWh SUV.
" After launch, we’ll announce the timing of our 250+ mile and longer range R1S, also with seven seats.³ "
They also state:
A longer range R1S with both five- and seven-passenger seating will be announced following start of production. We will also announce our 250+ mile range, lower priced R1T and R1S at that time.

Sounds like it may be an "in between" version. 150kWh? 2 motors instead of 4 to make room for more batteries?

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Very exciting that the new site has been launched and we have a configurator date ...
Exciting, but frankly, I am seriously underwhelmed.

I also would prefer a solid roof and all season tires on the 20" wheels - but as long as there is a shade for the roof I can live with that.
What gives you the impression there will be any sort of shade? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Very happy there is no upcharge for driving tech - Tesla believe it is ok to charge for enabling the software/hardware that is already in the vehicle - glad to see Rivian do not.
100% agree on this one. Tesla feels like a ripoff on that.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Anyone else notice the dimensions have changed every so slightly?

Until today, R1T was 217.1" long and 79.3" wide; today's official numbers are 218" long and 79" wide.
The R1S too is a little longer and less wide: pre-today 200.7" long, 79.3" wide; 202" long and 79" wide.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
This seems to be the impression they are leaving. Launch Green/Adventure Package - June 2021. other colors Adventure or Explorer Package - Jan. 2022
No... they are giving the impression that the color is only available on launch editions, not that launch editions must be that color. See "Special Launch Green paint color option" in the Equipment Packages table.

CO_R1S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet 2500HD, Preorder R1S
Occupation
Engineer
The text describing the Launch Edition says "exclusive Launch Green color option" which I think would just be an additional choice you would have if you are able to obtain a Launch Edition allocation.

Sponsored

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Interesting. They are going the same route as Tesla with the neural network and AI learning?
From my extremely limited, and possibly incorrect knowledge of the RADAR vs. LIDAR topic, LIDAR is much more expensive to implement and has limitations at night and during inclement weather. Possibly a reason for going the RADAR route? Toss up guess!

EDIT: My quote response didn't capture the original quote....haha...which was a comment about Rivian's decision about going the RADAR route instead of LIDAR.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The do say "sustained at over 200 kW charging". It still may be that the peak is 300 kW.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

Uhoh. I see the R1S says “available with 7 seat interior”. Any bets on how much more that might cost? Scratch that. I see that is the only option with the launch edition. Phew!

Last edited: