First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Well, Hummer has yet to build a fully functional production model. They can say 100 miles in 10 min, but they haven't been able to demonstrate this at any level.
GM already has prototype Ultium batteries being tested with packs ranging from 50KWH to 200KWH. Their new factory is under construction in Lordstown, this is not vaperware. Some of these batteries have been installed and tested in retrofitted Bolts.
Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Suspiciously perfect for me: The exact configuration I want in my R1S (135kw battery pack, 7 seats, launch green) will put me at the front of the line. I'd expected to have to wait for the 180kw batteries to be produced before I got mine. But I totally understand why this is disappointing to others who'd been led to believe we'd see the 180kw first.

Any announcements on how many launch editions are going to be available?And still nothing on financing/leasing/test drives? Hope we start to get more answers on the practical details soon too.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I'd like to see the price difference between 135kwh and 180kwh R1S models.
Yes, that would be really useful info to know now. I'd hate to hold out until next year for details of the 180 only to find out it's more than I'm willing to spend and then being frustrated that I didn't just order the 135 sooner.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
A few more observations that haven't been mentioned yet:

The crossbar ports/tie-down locations aren't present on the bed floor anymore:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! 1605135209304

DCFC at 200kW for "sustained periods":
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! 1605135382579

R1T wheels (21 inch rims are a new design):
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! 1605135415479

vs R1S wheels (the 20 inch are different, maybe these aren't restricted to R1S or R1T):
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! 1605135501880

New R1S video footage (from the rivian.com/r1s): https://videos.rivian.com/2md5qhoea...ience_a_new_generation_of_adventure_video.mp4

Damn the R1S looks good with the all-terrain tires/wheels!

And finally, I'm not surprised since this is the norm, Canadians get lower priority:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! 1605135763786

At least this maybe means that it's not a whole lot longer of a wait for us that wanted the 180kWh battery :crying:

Sponsored

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
Yes, that would be really useful info to know now. I'd hate to hold out until next year for details of the 180 only to find out it's more than I'm willing to spend and then being frustrated that I didn't just order the 135 sooner.
Exactly. Current Launch edition with Adventure package is priced at 77K which is on the higher end anyway. But the 400 miles range is what this will really add value to long trips but the price deficit is what will help me decide

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I'd like to see the price difference between 135kwh and 180kwh R1S models.
Yep. Agree. Also, i'm curious about their phrasing " After launch, we’ll announce the timing of our 250+ mile and longer range R1S, also with seven seats.³ " I'm personally interested in the 5 seat, 180 kWh R1S. I'm guessing that will also be available alongside the 180kWh, seven seat option....but why the exclusion of any reference to the 5 seat/180kWh option? Saving space on the page? Haha.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! 1605136567666

That's curious - so what exactly will we see in the configurator? Just a broad range of dates?

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Yep. Agree. Also, i'm curious about their phrasing " After launch, we’ll announce the timing of our 250+ mile and longer range R1S, also with seven seats.³ " I'm personally interested in the 5 seat, 180 kWh R1S. I'm guessing that will also be available alongside the 180kWh, seven seat option....but why the exclusion of any reference to the 5 seat/180kWh option? Saving space on the page? Haha.
That was my preference as well. I can’t imagine the 5 seat option wouldn’t still be available.

That's curious - so what exactly will we see in the configurator? Just a broad range of dates?
Hopefully the final price!

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Very exciting that the new site has been launched and we have a configurator date - even if there are limitations on how some us had been planning to configure our vehicles.
I had decided on the 400 mile range, but may bite the bullet and go with 300 to get it next year.
I also would prefer a solid roof and all season tires on the 20" wheels - but as long as there is a shade for the roof I can live with that. Tires can easily be changed - I will be using a separate set of wheels/snow tires for winter anyway. All season tires just don't cut it in the north...
Very happy there is no upcharge for driving tech - Tesla believe it is ok to charge for enabling the software/hardware that is already in the vehicle - glad to see Rivian do not.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Exactly. Current Launch edition with Adventure package is priced at 77K which is on the higher end anyway. But the 400 miles range is what this will really add value to long trips but the price deficit is what will help me decide
Agree, I was hoping for the base 180kwh pack to be around 75-80K, well see what happens, but I'm starting to doubt that now....

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Just got an email from Rivian - at the bottom this:

" You will receive an email Monday, November 16, unlocking early configurator access. "

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
Agree, I was hoping for the base 180kwh pack to be around 75-80K, well see what happens, but I'm starting to doubt that now....
I hope the online configurator can price it for us with the 180kwh battery pack? In which case we will know on Monday