Sponsored

20 inch wheels with A/Ttires for highway driving

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
KO2s can last 50k mls, what gives?
No tire will last 50,000 mi on an R1T. High weight + high torque = bald tires before you know it.

R1T is going to eat through tires like candy. All season tires last less than 20,000 miles on my Tesla Model 3. I'll be thrilled if Rivian tires last that long.
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

The R1T is very heavy for its size, as most EVs are due to the batteries. We really don’t know how long tires will last (yet) for the R1T because there aren’t any out there with 20k miles. But heavier vehicles wear tires out quicker. Especially if you take advantage of the 835hp.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The R1T is very heavy for its size, as most EVs are due to the batteries. We really don’t know how long tires will last (yet) for the R1T because there aren’t any out there with 20k miles. But heavier vehicles wear tires out quicker. Especially if you take advantage of the 835hp.
No info on tire longevity from Rivian?

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Tires are a known wear item, especially on EVs since they're typically heavier than their ICE counterparts. Even in the ICE world it's not like you get a tire warranty from the dearler. From what I recall Pirelli had some info on Tirerack or at least it was circulating around. But considering the 20" ATs are the most aggressive its safe to assume they will wear out easier than the 21" AS

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

None I’m aware of. And different roads, different driving styles will wear tires differently. I’m also guessing that the lower tire life for most EVs isn’t a selling point. The Rivians are among the heavier EVs for consumers to date (well, the Hummer is heavier). I would guess that the Rivians tires, which were specifically designed for Rivian, will wear better on a Rivian than a set of KO2s, although I hope someone tries and shares results.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I haven't seen KO2s on a Tesla Model X. It's a very powerful, very heavy car, so the rears get slaughtered on acceleration. : )
Also, some people will run their off road tires to the cord, I swap out as soon as they aren't working off road. The X can run tires down to the bottom of the tread block, but they become susceptible to punctures and it's the family wagon, so the cargo is more valuable than the last 5000 miles or 20% of the tire life.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Rivian and Pirelli say they have a low rolling resistance, high traction tire that is durable … I know the Pirelli verde (I use on the X and the Range Rover lasts twice as many miles) is a very good all-rounder (good but not great in snow, good but not great on dry roads in terms of handling and braking grip) and lasts about 15K before it's another winter coming up and I don't want to go into rain and snow on tires that not showing deep siping in tread blocks shoulder to shoulder.

Last edited:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
20" has many more aftermarket options than 21"
21” wheel and tire owners have ZERO tire choices other than the OEM Pirelli’s. They run about $415 per tire.

Last edited:

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
15K only?
On my Tesla S, the Pirelli Winter Sottozero only last 6k miles. Ridiculous. Thankfully, my Nokian Hakkapelita winter tires have lasted way longer.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
On my Tesla S, the Pirelli Winter Sottozero only last 6k miles. Ridiculous. Thankfully, my Nokian Hakkapelita winter tires have lasted way longer.
Right. Any "high performance" tire is an expensive indulgence for road driving and winter tires tend to suffer if used year round. One exception is the Michelin Ice-X … I had those on the Model X (P100D "Ludicrous") and they lasted and worn down shoulder to shoulder without losing balance – that to me is the sign of a total quality road tire. I don't recall the mileage off hand, but well over two years, so well over 30K miles, which, under the Model X, is very decent value.
Nokian is my top pick for winter tires (and I think most people know its reputation for just plain being the best for severe winter and ice.) They run a little noisier, but you get the results and if used for just winter, they last. I have a set that goes on for the season and they'll likely age out (ago 6 years) and get replaced before they've lost their bite.
For next winter, my R1T will get a set of Nokia eco-studded winter tires, probably the LT3, which I've had before; they're not too noisy on dry asphalt, and they can be driven on hot, sunny, dry days on dry asphalt during winter without deteriorating (but you couldn't drive them year round and I imagine there are laws against ripping up roads with studded tires in summer.) Saves fitting chains when encountering just a few inches of snow or some ice trying to get somewhere like a ski cabin.
https://www.nokiantires.com/snow-winter-tires/nokian-tyres-hakkapeliitta-lt3/
p.s. here are chains that fit the Rivian R1T factory 276/65R20 tires:
NOTE: Rivian doesn't approve fitting chains, only "socks" which is probably because of risk, not really whether the R1 can run chains in terms of how its motors or software behave (tire chains can rip off ABS or brake lines or come loose and destroy body panels.)
https://shopautosock.mcgeecompany.com/truck-autosock-69/p24412/?from=275-65r20
I've not yet fitted these chains to the R1T, so they might touch the wheel carrier or other parts of the suspension, so all I can say is they fit the tire, not necessarily the truck.

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Right. Any "high performance" tire is an expensive indulgence for road driving and winter tires tend to suffer if used year round. One exception is the Michelin Ice-X … I had those on the Model X (P100D "Ludicrous") and they lasted and worn down shoulder to shoulder without losing balance – that to me is the sign of a total quality road tire. I don't recall the mileage off hand, but well over two years, so well over 30K miles, which, under the Model X, is very decent value.
Nokian is my top pick for winter tires (and I think most people know its reputation for just plain being the best for severe winter and ice.) They run a little noisier, but you get the results and if used for just winter, they last. I have a set that goes on for the season and they'll likely age out (ago 6 years) and get replaced before they've lost their bite.
For next winter, my R1T will get a set of Nokia eco-studded winter tires, probably the LT3, which I've had before; they're not too noisy on dry asphalt, and they can be driven on hot, sunny, dry days on dry asphalt during winter without deteriorating (but you couldn't drive them year round and I imagine there are laws against ripping up roads with studded tires in summer.) Saves fitting chains when encountering just a few inches of snow or some ice trying to get somewhere like a ski cabin.
NOTE: Rivian doesn't approve fitting chains, only "socks" which is probably because of risk, not really whether the R1 can run chains in terms of how its motors or software behave (tire chains can rip off ABS or brake lines or come loose and destroy body panels.)
I've not yet fitted these chains to the R1T, so they might touch the wheel carrier or other parts of the suspension, so all I can say is they fit the tire, not necessarily the truck.
I like the Michelin Cross Climate for our XC90 PHEV. I wonder if the Agilis Cross Climate truck version would work.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

ATs tend to have a harder rubber compound. My 4Runner weighs somewhere around 5400 lbs with all the steel bits bolted on and I've been running Falken AT3W for 41k miles so far. Last time I measured, they were still around 9/32nds. I've had several long highway trips, including towing from Denver to Monterey and back. All I'm saying is that the ATs will likely last quite a bit longer than highway all-seasons, especially because the initial tread depth will be higher.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Im getting slightly off topic here, but I think the reason why Rivian does not approve chains on the R1 w/ 20” wheels is that they will rub on the fender well or contact one of the control arms. I saw a photo showing very tight clearance between the AT tire and control arms, and in another thread of the AT tires rubbing on the wheel liner (not fender lip) spirited driving (@Riviot).

Whether the chain rub might only be in low or lowest height setting, or even at standard is anyone’s guess.

I’ll definitely have a set of chains regardless of our final wheel choice, 20” or 21”. For the 21” they could get regular use in the winter, whereas they would be Plan C or D for the 20” wheels.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Im getting slightly off topic here, but I think the reason why Rivian does not approve chains on the R1 w/ 20” wheels is that they will rub on the fender well or contact one of the control arms. I saw a photo showing very tight clearance between the AT tire and control arms, and in another thread of the AT tires rubbing on the wheel liner (not fender lip) spirited driving (@Riviot).

Whether the chain rub might only be in low or lowest height setting, or even at standard is anyone’s guess.

I’ll definitely have a set of chains regardless of our final wheel choice, 20” or 21”. For the 21” they could get regular use in the winter, whereas they would be Plan C or D for the 20” wheels.
Topic? : )
I'd say it is a concern about body damage. There's ample clearance around the front suspension and everything vulnerable is neatly tucked away (except maybe the flexible hydraulic lines that connect the sway control.)
Rivian R1T R1S 20 inch wheels with A/Ttires for highway driving 1649092981827

ref: Munro Live R1T Hoist Review :

Not a clear view of the rear tire, but there's perhaps less clearance in the rear at the strut … it's a very long arm suspension with some multi-link goodness, so in its range of motion there could be a pinch.

As you suggest, if someone fit chains too loosely and decided to drop the suspension to its lower or lowest setting then drive over a few potholes, maybe they'd discover a way to flail a body panel or something too close to the inside shoulder of the tire.
Sponsored