First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I wonder if we might see the Configurator become available around this date/time, as well.
We can hope!
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Maybe it’s just me but I’d like a test drive first.
Test drives have been promised after the configurator goes live but there should be a significant period of time after the configurator goes live before you have to make a final commitment to a configuration - ie, you will be able to change your mind after a test drive. They understand people may need a test drive to decide between R1S and R1T, interior/exterior colors, roof options, etc.

That said, it remains to be seen how this will actually play out in the context of the current pandemic.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
- The driver (Emme Hall) said they had bottomed out the suspension over one whoop and it caused some damage in the wheel wells.
This sounds to me like a design problem, or a mechanical failure. Todays modern CAD systems allow engineers to make sure there are no mechanical interferences during the design phase, this is not something that should be found during off road testing. Maybe something in the suspension bent, which would indicate more of a parts quality issue.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
This sounds to me like a design problem, or a mechanical failure. Todays modern CAD systems allow engineers to make sure there are no mechanical interferences during the design phase, this is not something that should be found during off road testing. Maybe something in the suspension bent, which would indicate more of a parts quality issue.
Might be as simple as adding bump stops or modifying fenderwell cover. If there are not bump stops already, they might have been relying on air springs alone, which might not have been properly inflated for "whoops".

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Might be as simple as adding bump stops or modifying fenderwell cover. If there are not bump stops already, they might have been relying on air springs alone, which might not have been properly inflated for "whoops".
This is exactly my point about a design issue. With an air spring completely deflated, as an engineer I would expect no interference.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
As a CAD expert you are correct for DESIGN. If they didnt do proper analysis on the swing arms and bushings, etc... then you are gonna see problems like this. Especially with variable geometry lift. Wasnt in acceptable deflection parameters?

R1T was loaded up pretty good. Sounds similar to issues they saw in long way up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
We'll never know what led to the bent link and it's not something that particularly concerns me. I'm just very glad that they're sending trucks out to have people like Emme beat the snot out of them to identify as many bad assumptions, miscalculations, software bugs, and manufacturing and assembly issues as possible so that they can be addressed before I take delivery.

Last edited:

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I wonder if they are going to release any of the camera crews footage?

OP
OP
aAlpine

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Power Innovations promo vid with a few shots of the R1T:

Also interesting to note is that it still had those dangling cables we noticed earlier:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T to participate in the 2020 Rebelle Rally [Update: 6th Place Finish] 1604606466172
Sponsored