A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Step 1) Have a full charge before I leave home
Most of the time, even on a road trip, it isn't necessary to do that nor do you really want to do that - it isn't good for your battery to be fully charged and it isn't good for it to sit in a high state of charge for any appreciable period of time. Once in a while, OK. So don't leave home with a full charge unless the trip necessitates it.
Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Meh. I leave my T8 plugged in constantly whenever it’s not in use, and my battery is fine

I’m sure the battery control software manages that sort of thing without needing human intervention

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Uhuh. I don’t think we can really know that until the car comes out.

Regardless, I’ll simply follow whatever practices Rivian says are best for the vehicle. Simple as

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Yes, indeed. Ignore what the pundits here or anywhere else tell you. Do what the manufacturer tells you to do. Tesla tells you to keep the car plugged in at all times and wavers from time to time on the recommended charge level setting as its battery chemistries advance as does their knowledge of how those chemistries perform. We assume that Rivian will want to grant that same level of flexibility to its users. A lot of us assume that the new chemistries will be more robust i.e. you will be able to abuse them more than the current ones with less detriment. When and if they get to that point the battery level gauge will be like a gas gauge and indeed all the instrumentation will be replaced by idiot lights as in an ICE vehicle. BEVs won't be fun any more but people like my wife will be comfortable with them.

Sponsored

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
I just did a Chat with Rivian and asked will the Configurator be out by 12/31/20? The response was,” it will be out well before then”. So maybe we are only a few weeks from seeing something.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
I just did a Chat with Rivian and asked will the Configurator be out by 12/31/20? The response was,” it will be out well before then”. So maybe we are only a few weeks from seeing something.
That’s very nearly almost a sort of informative-ish answer!

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I’m hoping mid November to early December.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
We should each try asking the exact same question with different dates and see when the answer changes from "well before then" to something else :idea:

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
We should each try asking the exact same question with different dates and see when the answer changes from "well before then" to something else :idea:
Just around the corner, later this year , before the end of 2020 lolz giving you some ideas on what they'll prob answer

Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Haha. I actually just did that. I asked if it would be out before Thanksgiving. She said maybe, but not 100% sure yet. She said definitely before the end of the year though. So I can always hope!

Tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P
Occupation
Storage
As a Tesla M3P owner, I love the Tesla infrastructure and the ability to drive almost anywhere I want w/o battery angst. Can’t wait to get the opportunity to get a Rivian 1S. I waited and waited for the Tesla and was rewarded. Some people will seek out other cars because they have a set time frame. I”m cool waiting. Better to wait and get it right than to hastily throw out something to appease 5% of the people that want “something”. It appears Rivian is not a fly by night, think Fisker, company.
Sponsored