Sponsored

R1T $69,000 starting price - opinions

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
My dream would be 300 miles of range for 50k (after tax credit is fine).
Dual motor CT, 2021-22. I think that will be realistic with other options in 5+ years, so the question becomes are you willing to pay more to get that sooner as an early adopter?
Sponsored

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
wasn't there something about rivian lowering their price to be more competitive with tesla?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
wasn't there something about rivian lowering their price to be more competitive with tesla?
sort of. The quoted "starting price" was later indicated to be reflective of the vehicles on display at their road show events - ie, equipped with the 135 kWh pack and options such as the electrochromic roof - instead of the base model with 105 kWh pack and no options.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Right now $69k USD = $97k AUD, and thats before you factor in shipping, import taxes and our wonderful luxury car tax. We don't get exemptions for EVs or any kind of tax incensive, but I still want an R1T.... I just hope RJ can convince the govt to let him sell cars here without them charging him (by him I really mean US!) an arm and a leg...

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Ok, I am sure this has been stated a bit in this thread, but it seems like things have gone back and forth and I am trying to see if there is an updated answer.

1). Is the $69K "starting price" for the 135K battery or the lower end?

It seems like originally it was thought to be for the lowest model, with no options. Then it seemed like it was clarified to be for the 135K model. Then there seems to be posts later stating it is for the lower model.

Any help would be appreciated. I currently have a Tesla model S but have been thinking of getting a pickup. I was thinking of keeping the Tesla (giving it to my wife) and using the Rivian as my daily driver (my work is 40 miles one way), but 69K for midrange would be a little easier to stomach, as I will likely not have a trade in.

Best

Adam
Southern California

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Ok, I am sure this has been stated a bit in this thread, but it seems like things have gone back and forth and I am trying to see if there is an updated answer.

1). Is the $69K "starting price" for the 135K battery or the lower end?

It seems like originally it was thought to be for the lowest model, with no options. Then it seemed like it was clarified to be for the 135K model. Then there seems to be posts later stating it is for the lower model.

Any help would be appreciated. I currently have a Tesla model S but have been thinking of getting a pickup. I was thinking of keeping the Tesla (giving it to my wife) and using the Rivian as my daily driver (my work is 40 miles one way), but 69K for midrange would be a little easier to stomach, as I will likely not have a trade in.

Best

Adam
Southern California
Hi Adam, Rivian has stated that the 69K is for the 135KWh pack with some options.
The configurator should be out late this year, so hopefully we can find out that those included options are.

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Hi Adam, Rivian has stated that the 69K is for the 135KWh pack with some options.
The configurator should be out late this year, so hopefully we can find out that those included options are.
Thanks. I can likely justify putting down money for a midrange at 69K (especially since I will not have a trade in). I look forward to seeing what the configurator shows.

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
In fact they even said a "Well equipped" vehicle. They only mentioned glass panel though.

Source

Although even that source disagrees a little bit.

Rivian email: "Hi Jamie, our original listed prices represent a well-equipped vehicle. We’ll be releasing more details about pricing soon. "

RJ: "the $69,000 price will actually be for a “mid-range pickup truck with glass sky panel” and a range of about 300 miles. "

I'm aiming for the 135 with the special glass so I'm hoping that's right haha

There's also this Reuters article which specifically mentions electro-chromatic glass

"Rivian founder and chief executive R.J. Scaringe told Reuters the mid-range R1T pickup truck with a glass sky panel that can change from blue to clear was about $69,000. It can travel 300 miles on a full charge. A similar range R1S SUV will sell for about $72,000. "

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I spoke with a Rivian rep at the Fully Charged show and asked about leather specifically. They wont be offering leather in any of the trims. I think they will all be leatherette though, though I hope cloth seats will be an option, my guess is that won't be in line with their luxury aesthetic
There may be an option just like in the Land Rovers, but I doubt it will be one of the first out the line.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
There may be an option just like in the Land Rovers, but I doubt it will be one of the first out the line.
They won’t do leather. They did not want to use animal products in their vehicles.

Sponsored

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
I believe RJ is vegan, and he's making the car vegan as well. So no leather.

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Thanks for the response. I have another clarification:

Has Rivian clarified if the 69K is before or after the tax incentives? I have noticed a lot of company's quote the price after incentives as the price and that would put the actual purchase price at 79K.

Hope this is not a dumb question.

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
They've said a couple times it's before tax incentive.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Thanks for the response. I have another clarification:

Has Rivian clarified if the 69K is before or after the tax incentives? I have noticed a lot of company's quote the price after incentives as the price and that would put the actual purchase price at 79K.

Hope this is not a dumb question.
This is from their website. Hopefully we'll get more info as we approach the end of the year.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T $69,000 starting price - opinions SmartSelect_20201024-122153_Samsung Internet
Sponsored