Sponsored

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Hopefully, that will change by tomorrow. I tried the live tracking button and it shows it at day zero.
Actual competition doesn't start until Saturday. They had a short livestream this evening kicking things off. Excited to follow along! The R1T was given a little air time in the kick off thing, cool to see it in action.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Is it driving anyone else nuts that Emma keeps saying in every interview that the motors are in hub.... No they are inboard with as long as possible half shafts for articulation while being supported by the suspension... better for sprung weight vs un-sprung weight of an in hub motor.

Don't get me wrong I'm looking for tasty morsels of info in everything they do with the truck but it makes me cringe every time she says in hub motors.....

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
I like big frunks and I cannot lie ... stuffed with rally gear they are.

87BACF83-CD1B-4D11-A042-6AAE95BFFD98.png
You can see her hand here pressing the button to open the frunk. This is new info to me. I figured that there'd be a button somewhere but this is the first time I've seen it actually used. Also, it looks like she has to keep it pressed until the hatch is fully open and again until it is fully closed. Hopefully this changes to a single short press to open/close in the final build.

Last edited:

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
Is it driving anyone else nuts that Emma keeps saying in every interview that the motors are in hub....
Yes, I noticed this too. Someone from Rivian needs to give her a call and let her know.

People are gonna think this is the Lordstown Endurance. She sure is drumming up hype for their design...

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Team Killer Watt... love it!

Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Somebody got ahold of Emma... During the prologue this morning she had her mea culpa moment and corrected her statements on the motor configuration.... lol Hope they do well!

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Somebody got ahold of Emma... During the prologue this morning she had her mea culpa moment and corrected her statements on the motor configuration.... lol Hope they do well!
I saw that, hilarious . Not enough Dr Pepper

OP
OP
aAlpine

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
On one of the podcasts, she said the R1T charged at 160kW. Hopefully that was also not accurate information for the final vehicles. I know RJ said in an interview it peaked at 300kW, hopefully that's available from day 1, the 180kWh battery is so large and will take quite a while to charge otherwise.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
On one of the podcasts, she said the R1T charged at 160kW. Hopefully that was also not accurate information for the final vehicles. I know RJ said in an interview it peaked at 300kW, hopefully that's available from day 1, the 180kWh battery is so large and will take quite a while to charge otherwise.
Most likely she is experiencing the charge rate using the 175 kW DCFC that are deployed for the event. They are almost certainly 400v (450?) and therefore will be about 1/2 the full capability of the R1T.

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
I like big frunks and I cannot lie ... stuffed with rally gear they are.

87BACF83-CD1B-4D11-A042-6AAE95BFFD98.png
Anyone else notice that in the sixth episode of ‘Long Way Up’ there is no frunk on the prototypes. There’s a couple of clear shots while they’re making roadside repairs and the frunk compartment is full of machinery. Somehow the prototype design is different.

Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Anyone else notice that in the sixth episode of ‘Long Way Up’ there is no frunk on the prototypes. There’s a couple of clear shots while they’re making roadside repairs and the frunk compartment is full of machinery. Somehow the prototype design is different.
Yep - I noticed that also.... when they went under the hood to disconnect the suspension pump due to the broken reservoir. The prototypes used in the Long Way Up were clearly pre-production very custom built vehicles... Lot's of manual switches on the inside of those as well... I mean wasn't the horn a button down by the drivers knee in those as well.

What I found interesting is that at the end of the prologue today the Rivian ended up in the service tent.... I would sure like to know what they were working on after day 0.....

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T to participate in the 2020 Rebelle Rally [Update: 6th Place Finish] Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 9.33.41 PM

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Yep - I noticed that also.... when they went under the hood to disconnect the suspension pump due to the broken reservoir. The prototypes used in the Long Way Up were clearly pre-production very custom built vehicles... Lot's of manual switches on the inside of those as well... I mean wasn't the horn a button down by the drivers knee in those as well.

What I found interesting is that at the end of the prologue today the Rivian ended up in the service tent.... I would sure like to know what they were working on after day 0.....

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 9.33.41 PM.png
Hmm. Looks like the phev Mitsubishi is right there too. Maybe adjustments to do with the charging system and the remote truck charging them in the field?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I try not to read too much into a truck parked under a tent. Could simply have been downloading data gathered throughout the day since I'm guessing there's no cellular network out there for Rivian to retrieve OTA.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Could be as simple as getting a full charge before starting the rally
No this is not the case... If you watch the video when the trucks leave the maintenance tent they immediately head over to the 18-wheeler and charge. I grabbed screen shots of that as well. I'm not pretending I know what was going on... I was just curious but it was not to charge the trucks... They have stated clearly that the trucks would be charging via the Power Innovations 18-wheeler.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T to participate in the 2020 Rebelle Rally [Update: 6th Place Finish] Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 9.38.11 PM
Sponsored