Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Someone please correct me but how did they have no working vehicles in 2019 right before the trip when they had one for the unveiling in LA?
The ones they sent were the first 2 with a VIN that could be registered and plated.
Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Someone please correct me but how did they have no working vehicles in 2019 right before the trip when they had one for the unveiling in LA?
There are various definitions of working. The auto show ones were certainly not ready for driving from Argentina to LA and probably didn't have certain features ready to go. Based on looking that the ones that are on Long Way Up, much of the software system didn't seem to be ready for prime time. All of the functions controlled by the box with switches weren't ready yet.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Even if the show cars could have been registered and had been fully functional, it wouldn't have been wise to send them to Argentina leaving nothing to tour the country and show off to potential customers. Don't get me wrong, involvement in the Long Way Up was an invaluable experience. However, had they been unable to support both that and the road show, I think supporting the road show would have needed to be their top priority. In hindsight, I'm sure they are glad to have visited as many cities as they did prior to the covid shutdown.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Latest Long Way Up episode is up and it includes a nice but brief section covering the Rivian's. Talked a little about the challenges of charging and coming up with creative charging techniques... including tow charging. They seem to like the trucks overall. pretty cool...

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Latest Long Way Up episode is up and it includes a nice but brief section covering the Rivian's. Talked a little about the challenges of charging and coming up with creative charging techniques... including tow charging. They seem to like the trucks overall. pretty cool...
I think later on they even start doing vehicle to bike charging. Can't wait to see that too :D

Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Well they drove the Rivians super hard in today's episode.... Hard to judge how much theatrics are involved but the one guy (producer I think) is treating his brutally....

JMR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep GC WK2 | Previously: Audi SQ5, GMC Canyon, many others
** Sorry in advance for the Episode 6 spoiler **

When the hydraulic accumulator reservoir broke off :oops::oops:

I'm a little worried about the placement of the rear reservoir after seeing this happen. It seems pretty vulnerable to rocks and other debris being forward of the rear LCA. I'm having trouble finding a clean photo of the rear reservoir location during assembly (like the 4th photo of the front).

Pics below:
1 - Rear Driver reservoir broken off
2 - Rear Passenger reservoir location
3 - Rock impact (vehicle impacted rock while in moving reverse, LCA was stuck on top of the rock)
4 - Front Passenger for reference

Rivian R1T R1S Fully Charged covers Long Way Up and Rivian & R1T 2020-10-09_13-36-26

Rivian R1T R1S Fully Charged covers Long Way Up and Rivian & R1T 2020-10-09_13-39-03

Rivian R1T R1S Fully Charged covers Long Way Up and Rivian & R1T 2020-10-09_14-00-09

Rivian R1T R1S Fully Charged covers Long Way Up and Rivian & R1T 2020-10-09_13-27-17

zmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I think I found one from the "Building a Test Vehicle" video.

Rivian R1T R1S Fully Charged covers Long Way Up and Rivian & R1T 1602292958265

And another from a forbes video (RaMhY2Z_Svs).

Rivian R1T R1S Fully Charged covers Long Way Up and Rivian & R1T 1602293145678

Looking at it I think the angle of the reservoir changed a bit (the forbes video seems like old video reels), but I'm not sure.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
I know that this post will come with the "This is only a test vehicle", etc, but honestly what a major fail of Rivian to say these are adventure vehicles and have such vulnerable pieces so low. Honestly, what would it have taken for them to TIG weld an aluminum skid plate around that. This is a failed design for what they are marketing this for. I actually was disappointed when I saw that. I mean any engineer should have seen this coming.... And if they honestly were not ready, they should have not given them vehicles that are being FILMED while they were testing this.

zmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I know that this post will come with the "This is only a test vehicle", etc, but honestly what a major fail of Rivian to say these are adventure vehicles and have such vulnerable pieces so low. Honestly, what would it have taken for them to TIG weld an aluminum skid plate around that. This is a failed design for what they are marketing this for. I actually was disappointed when I saw that. I mean any engineer should have seen this coming.... And if they honestly were not ready, they should have not given them vehicles that are being FILMED while they were testing this.
These cars where litterally build in two weeks.

Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
These cars where litterally build in two weeks.
Yes, but the DESIGN of where the reservoir goes was something that engineering thought would be a good idea to put in a vulnerable place. That was not done in 2 weeks.

And if you want to go that route, people have built trophy trucks in two weeks to race in desert races and their shocks didn't lose an essential part.

Not looking to argue. My initial point stands, this should have been thought about when they were designing the truck. Any adventure vehicle needs good skid plates and have suspension protected.

zmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
As far as I can tell this is what the set up is on finished vehicles. Seems to covers the suspension assembly.

Rivian R1T R1S Fully Charged covers Long Way Up and Rivian & R1T 1602306650918

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
The show features prototypes that were thrown together on a super tight schedule. I know we're all soaking up any details we can glean from any source, but it's not reasonable to assume fine details like this from the show represent the finished product.

I mean, seriously... Did you notice when the hood was popped that there was a whole lot of crap where the frunk should have been? Things were tacked on wherever they could get it done fast - these Long Way Up trucks are not production spec.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The show features prototypes that were thrown together on a super tight schedule. I know we're all soaking up any details we can glean from any source, but it's not reasonable to assume fine details like this from the show represent the finished product.

I mean, seriously... Did you notice when the hood was popped that there was a whole lot of crap where the frunk should have been? Things were tacked on wherever they could get it done fast - these Long Way Up trucks are not production spec.
I guess everyone is missing the point on this. The suspension was designed long before they put these 2 trucks together. This should have been thought of on an adventure vehicle. And yes, I understand the frunk having pumps and such in there as this is a prototype. But if those pumps were to fail, I would also think that is a problem to the quality, not the placement.

Think of it not as a person on this forum that is itching (like I am) to buy this truck or SUV. They are just watching the long way up because they like the adventure genre and motorcycles. What they are seeing is reliability problems and a pickup that they are constantly running out of power. And again, not you or me that knows about battery sizes and differences, but a person that buys ICE pickups and SUVs. If they had the 400 mile battery as well as not having basic suspension stuff break while hitting a rock (and it being FILMED!) they may be swayed to buy their next SUV or pickup as a Rivian. Not with the way that Long Way up has portrayed it so far.

Most of us on the forum will look at it as we get to see an early version of what we are buying and think that Rivian will use this as a way to make changes before production. A person that is not into BEVs will think that these pickups and SUVs are unreliable and not ready for them to make the leap to BEV yet. This is basically bad press so far....

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Mod 3, 23 Ford Lightning, 23 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Semi Retired
[/QUOTE]
Took the words right out of my mouth.
I am not deterred in the least, and ecstatic about their willingness to build and punish their prototypes. All for the greater good.
Sponsored