Sponsored

Rivian R1T Delivery Day Checklist

RivianMN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I was planning on posting this very same thing today, but was beaten to it. I wasn't thinking about things like "do the outlets work", but more like "do the wheels match" or if there are paint chips on the hood. A list of items that I can take 10 minutes to check because, honestly, I want to drive my truck not spend all day poking and prodding.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
What led up to Tesla customers inspecting their own vehicles at delivery was a combination of events: the sudden cancellation of the 7-day/1K mile return policy, the implementation of the 100mi odometer limit (or tuff on you) to inform Tesla of factory paint defects and Tesla claiming horrendous panel gaps, charge port doors sitting proud or below flush, rear seatback misalignment, and misaligned tail lights were all "within spec" without publishing the actual specs. That left owners only one choice, keep the car defects and all and hope Tesla would fix it vs. them just claim it was "within spec" again or refuse the car you waited 6 months for and hope for a better one next time one comes up for you.
Especially bad were the rush-built cars that were thrown together right before the end of a fiscal quarter where Tesla was in a frenzy to pad the delivery numbers for that quarter. They were horribly built cars that had multiple issues per car where even the sales people at Tesla were embarrassed to try to deliver them to customers. There was even a period where you couldn't order a White Model Y because the rear bumpers didn't match the rest of the car's white paint and stood out like a sore thumb. Tesla again called it "within spec" and only offered to re-paint a few bumpers under warranty. The rest were told to shove off. That particular period of time saw many White Model Y's being refused at delivery.

Anyway... that's why us recent Tesla owners are a paranoid/untrusting bunch of SOB's o_O

OP
OP
Longhorngirl

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
We have had a few forum member deliveries so far. It looks like no fit and finish issues, which is great. Only a couple of items to note. Prior to delivery day, the preliminary buyers agreement having the wrong price, which I assume will be fixed soon and is only an issue for deliveries for the next couple of weeks. Another item prior to delivery day is to make sure that the car has the most up to date software. @skyote mentioned that there currently is an update that is manual and has to be done at the service center.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Hey @timesinks @godfodder0901 @JDMD @AdamL how did your New R1Ts do on your 60 point inspection list? How long did it take? ???
I was too busy overcoming disbelief and glee to get to all 60 points.

I think there are some very minor panel gap and alignment issues -- nothing any tesla owner would even notice (high bar, I know ?) and nothing that I find distracting or annoying unless I'm really looking for them. It's not perfect, but it's close -- and it's the damned nicest vehicle I've ever owned.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

I think there are some very minor panel gap and alignment issues -- nothing any tesla owner would even notice (high bar, I know ?) and nothing that I find distracting or annoying unless I'm really looking for them. It's not perfect, but it's close -- and it's the damned nicest vehicle I've ever owned.
figured as much. Sounds like just cosmetic stuff. By the time I have mine in 2023 they’ll probably have shutlines like a Toyota Centruy ?
and I’m getting a darker colour.

I’m not worried though. My last car was a mini and I have a Ford and an old land rover now. Very low bar.

JDMD

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Physician
Same here. No major issues. Only issue were the accessories and a lack of availability. I had the field kit, crossbars, mats and tent ordered. I was asked to manually order the tent once available. No big deal.

I received the remaining accessories today!

So far the truck has been amazing.

OP
OP
Longhorngirl

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Thanks for the info @timesinks. I started this thread because I was originally going to get a Model Y and watched wayyyyy too many YouTube videos going over all the fit and finish issues. I am really happy to hear that Rivian doesn’t appear to have the quality issues that Tesla has. Congrats again! Go have some fun off-roading this weekend with the pups and don’t forget to share some photos!

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Hey @timesinks @godfodder0901 @JDMD @AdamL how did your New R1Ts do on your 60 point inspection list? How long did it take? ???

Same here. No major issues. Only issue were the accessories and a lack of availability. I had the field kit, crossbars, mats and tent ordered. I was asked to manually order the tent once available. No big deal.

I received the remaining accessories today!

So far the truck has been amazing.
These guys summed it up perfectly. There have been a few software bugs, and I've seen some weather strip issues, but body and paint look great, interior is nearly perfect, and you don't notice any of these things blasting through the country...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
As people tend to say on the forums, photos or it didn't happen... That's my philosophy with the dealers, Tesla and even Rivian when it comes to PDI or the 100 point service inspection checklists.

Every service I've ever had done - the service writer hands you your keys and the 100 point checklist with every box checked...start the car and the tire pressure wasn't even set which is usually the first thing on the list.

I'm sure everyone has good intentions but unless I see the PDI list and confirm it myself I assume it didn't happen. That said I'm sure Rivian is doing a better job than most on a PDI given the low volume.

The accessories and trim stuff is pretty easy to sort out down the road. But bad wheel alignment (like my truck had) a hood that rubs on the fenders (like my truck had) or a passenger door that was not aligned right and the door catch was flexing/forcing the hinge up a 1/4" when you closed it (like my truck had) are things you want sorted out ASAP.

My delivery rep said "all we noticed was a piece of tailgate trim that needs to be replaced". I noticed several pieces of the black plastic trim with MUCH worse fit than the piece he noted. On top of the body fit issues. I pointed out the hood rubbing and paint that had already come off, the deliver rep said "oh yeah, I didn't catch that". So don't assume just cuz someone has a Rivian jacket on means they are catching everything. Not saying they are trying to deceive anyone, just lack of experience which will come with time and more deliveries.

I don't think people should expect perfection, it's a car and there will be some imperfections even for a new vehicle. But do a full once over of all the major stuff and document anything that isn't right. Rivian is great and they will sort it out.

Sponsored

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Ahh ok. I'm admittedly still learning about the EV space as a whole. I figured there must be a motivation behind the self-PDI, but didn't realize it came from something so egregious.
It has less to do with EVs and more so with new automotive startups. The pattern I've noticed is initial (more manually built) runs usually produce decent quality. But once company starts production ramp up with more automation it results in more kinks that need to be worked out, and that's when rushing production and deliveries (to make investors happy) results in more defects.

Tesla basically does their end of line checks, then sticks the car on a transporter straight to the customer.

but to me there is no reason to assume this is the same as Tesla given rivian’s statements about how much they value quality.
Tesla conducts their own inspections at delivery centers before giving you the car. They just rush through it and some things customers would take issue with Tesla labels as "within spec" in an effort to push out more deliveries and make their investors happy.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Ahh ok. I'm admittedly still learning about the EV space as a whole. I figured there must be a motivation behind the self-PDI, but didn't realize it came from something so egregious.
Tesla has delivered cars to customers with mismatched tires and interior panels mixed from 2 different trim colors. Their quality control is non existent.

It sounds like Rivian has started doing a QC at the service center prior to local delivery and hopefully that will catch a lot more issues before it goes to the customer.

smwwilson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T coming
Has anyone been tipping the tow truck drivers??

techn0mad

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Toyota Tundra, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Considering it more, I suppose in a scenario where a new truck just shows up on your doorstep, and there isn't a service center right down the street, a curbside self-PDI is sensible. After all, Rivian delivery day is likely the first time most people will have face-to-face contact with an employee.

BUT if an owner turns up to my shop for their new ride, with their own official off-the-internet checklist, after my factory trained techs just spent 2-3 hours on a PDI, that isn't normal. That means I haven't done a good job building a relationship with you, building trust in me as a salesman, or building trust in our service folks for the knowledgeable professionals they are.

I'll put it this way - it's never happened to me in 15 years. People show up for service with lists; that's normal and was damn near expected when I worked at a Euro shop. But to do a walk-around before you ride off into the sunset? I'd be offended. And then disappointed in myself for doing a poor job. Delivery day is fun day; no stress, no seeds, no stems, no sticks. And no checklists.

That said, if it makes you happy, I'll stand back while you do your thing. Just know I'm silently judging you and then I'm going to tell the whole shop. Then you'll be "checklist guy" forever. ;) ?‍♂
I think I understand what you are saying here, and what you and your team might feel when faced with an apparently paranoid, distrustful customer, but as someone who is expecting to take delivery soon, the detection and documentation of defects at delivery is causing me more anxiety than anything else.

The reason is that, while acknowledging that I am about a two hour ride away from _any_ auto dealership, and that while Rivian as a whole is bending over backwards to fix things and ensure customers are happy, I'm having to mount a several day trip just to facilitate taking delivery (since apparently they don't deliver to the customer anymore). In the off chance that something is found to be deficient during my delivery, while Rivian will no doubt promise to address it, the question becomes: When? I don't want to be having to take a day off every other week to travel to the already overloaded SC to get this, that, or the other sorted out.

I'm aware that some might say that based on where I live, then I shouldn't be considering a Rivian. That may be true, but it kind of clashes with the image Rivian is trying to promote for it's vehicles, doesn't it?

I'm relatively confident that in time, all of this will get sorted out, but in the meantime, I hope you might begin to appreciate what kind of concerns and apprehensions new customers have in an evolving environment like this.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
since apparently they don't deliver to the customer anymore.
This may be true in your area but is definitely not true as a blanket statement. I have delivery scheduled to my house next week.
Sponsored