First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Why is having the configurator now such a big deal? I understand I would like to see trims and pricing, but we are talking about the first R1S being delivered in Summer of next year. Even if they put up the config 3 months ahead of that you can still make whatever choice you want then. We already know that pricing for the R1T started at about $70k for a base, which was later revised to a nicely equipped one.
Personally, it’s half because they’ve been saying “it’s right around the corner” since mid-2019, and half because I am just V bored. Plus, their reply to many questions about specifics has been “that info will be available in the configurator.”

So I think it’s less about the configurator itself and more about just having answers to questions.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
We don't know if Rivian is only just struggling with planning and communications, now do we? And the comparison is Nikola's failure to meet its own deadlines and Rivian's failure to meet its own deadlines.
If that is the depth of your assessment of the 2 companies then, yes, they probably seem equally doomed to failure in your eyes.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Why? We know about as much about Rivian as we do Nikola.
That is totally not true. Rivian has a factory, working prototypes and is currently validating production. Nikola has an empty field, a render of a pickup truck and contract to with GM to produce their pickup truck in a

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Personally, it’s half because they’ve been saying “it’s right around the corner” since mid-2019, and half because I am just V bored. Plus, their reply to many questions about specifics has been “that info will be available in the configurator.”

So I think it’s less about the configurator itself and more about just having answers to questions.
Agreed, and configurator delays/commitment slips is my biggest disappointment with Rivian.

I also feel that it is a critical time for them to start sharing additional details, instead of the slow drip of information & cool/fun videos with very little actual info. There are viable competitors coming soon, and Rivian preorder holders are getting restless...as evidenced here.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Some of us highly prefer to wait as long as needed to get a vehicle as nice as it can be made.

Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
That is totally not true. Rivian has a factory, working prototypes and is currently validating production. Nikola has an empty field, a render of a pickup truck and contract to with GM to produce their pickup truck in a
We have photos and videos of those things. We also have photos and videos of Nikola's "working" prototype.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Why is having the configurator now such a big deal? I understand I would like to see trims and pricing, but we are talking about the first R1S being delivered in Summer of next year. Even if they put up the config 3 months ahead of that you can still make whatever choice you want then. We already know that pricing for the R1T started at about $70k for a base, which was later revised to a nicely equipped one.
For me, it is less about the configurator and more about not being open and transparent about missing self stated deadlines.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
We have photos and videos of those things. We also have photos and videos of Nikola's "working" prototype.
We have independent verification of the working prototypes (Long Way Up), the existence of a factory and that the factory looks to be producing vehicles in lots of 1. (in the Bloomberg video, you can see them working on one of them in the background. If you still want to believe that they are the same as Nikola, you can but there isn't any rational reason to.

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
If I were trying to be deceitful, it seems like building a misleading configurator would be the easiest thing to do. Scams usually work on customer-facing polish and shine, and a configurator is really just software, especially if you don't care to back it up with anything.

My feeling is that it's more likely that they haven't nailed down the options and estimated deliveries yet, since they hope to include those in the configurator, and don't want to put out something that's half-baked. It doesn't concern me. I will have to check when I was able to configure my Model X compared to delivery.

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

Love seeing the passion from our members and disagreeing / debating is always welcome as long it's being done so respectfully.

Some discussions have been getting personal and insulting. Please let's keep all discussions respectful. If anyone sees disrespectful / insulting behavior, please report it. Thank you.

Sponsored

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Just a follow-up, it appears the Design Studio for Model X opened for me in mid-November of 2015. I received my X in early April of 2016, so approximately 4 and a half months ahead of my delivery.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
They only seem to talk about the configurator when asked (or as the answer to any number of other questions).
I received the timing of 'Late Summer' from them in an unsolicited email to me many months ago.

So, it's not only been in response to questions or social media posts, though that does seem to be the majority of where timing info has been shared.

But, maybe we're jumping the gun on criticism. They still have ~ 24 more hours to get the configurator out before summer ends :)

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
There’s a couple things I would add:

lucid has all of a sudden released their car and teasers of the suv, with apparently incredible efficiency and buckets of power (1200hp or so between the single front and single rear motor?!) unless rivian is still iterating and improving, after Tesla battery day and the plaid power train they could be behind. Not that 700hp will be slow, but as far as headline making numbers go I worry they will be far behind the top line cybertruck, hummer, and whatever suv lucid ends up throwing their power train into. Or perhaps the power figures they were quoting were battery/inverter limited and we will see a true 1000hp out of them.
The lucid configurator seems a little half baked, sure, and really lacks many options besides a few funky paint choices, but at least it’s there. Rivian for sure could have released a configurator where we could simply play around with the interior and exterior of the vehicles, and have a disclosure “final trim and colors may vary” but I can understand wanting to get suppliers and parts and colors nailed down before release. Or they could have a “founders edition” with the 180kwh battery and all the options, but only black or white color inside and out to keep it simple and allow a release without worry of changing color choices.

either way I’m really hoping for a configurator in the next month or so.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Rivian must have their reasons for not releasing a configurator yet but the Nicola disaster makes every move they make more critical. Also to be honest we don't really know when finished vehicles will be ready for sale. An estimated production date of June of 2021 could still turn into end of year (or later) easily and I think it would be good to be ready for this possibility to guard against severe disappointment and depression. Hopefully they will still be the first to produce an EV pickup we will all be proud to own.
Sponsored