Sponsored

How interested are you in a factory/tour delivery option?

• Total voters

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
The train ride from Oakland is pretty damn long, 51 hours, and that's to Chicago. Cheap, $141, but long. Then the waiting time and travel time to get to Normal. So, at least 55 hours. Rather than arrive frazzled and sleep deprived, flying is beginning to sound better even if it doesn't really allow one to appreciate the country you're flying over.

Maybe if there's enough of us from the same area and we're picking up around the same time, we can caravan. That might be fun. We can easily share what we're learning about our Rivians and the country along the way.

I'm still not sure which model I'll go for, though I'm leaning the R1S way, and I'm relatively early in the preorder queue, #14XX. So next Summer is the chosen time.
I am not too far behind you...I am around the 50xx pending any cancelations in front of me...the pandemic would prevent me from flying and potentially from even going to Normal. I can do a factory tour after I receive delivery---again all pending this damn pandemic.
Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Those of us trying to keep the airline industry alive would greatly appreciate your business, regardless of the motivation. :like:
I would fly once the pandemic is over or if I can wear a hazmat suit with enough air supply on the flight to Chicago. Crazy times we are all living in...I don't want to catch the virus on the way there and only have days/weeks with the Rivian---I hope 2021 proves to be better than 2020!

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Clearly, two long transfer lines are being installed, and somewhere in the information that's available, it's said Rivian plans on two transfer or assembly lines - one for the R1T/S and the other for Amazon vans. Both lines will be mixed model lines where more than one vehicle can be assembled on the same line. This allows for load leveling, adjusting the pace at which the line moves, to match production with demand.

All good within limits. If demand is too low, all the investment in setting up a factory at a certain production capacity wasn't necessary, and if demand exceeds capacity, not enough was invested. Matching capacity with demand is a guessing game, especially for a BEV startup. Fortunately, the Normal plant is large and Rivian has space to match demand with capacity for the next few years.

fromawayfarm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Kona EV
Awesome idea. I do believe Rivian could save some money by not dealing with the delivery aspect (and pass that on to the owner.) Volvo has been doing this for years in Europe for US military buyers. They flew us from Germany to Gottenberg, Sweden, picked us up at the airport, put us up a night in a hotel, gave us a factory tour with a new owner orientation to our car and paid for the ferry we took from Gottenberg back to Germany. It was very cool (and done back in 2003). I'm not expecting Rivian to coordinate all of that, but allowing me to pick it up there AND get a factory tour seems doable.

I saw the comment on driving your own vehicle off the assembly line and had to chuckle at what kind of nightmare that would be for Rivian. Knowing exactly what day your vehicle comes off the line will be challenging, especially in early days. For them to do this I suspect they will plan some wiggle room into your "delivery celebration" buy parking it on the back lot for a few days before you arrive.

A workable way to do it might be once a week. They could pick a day (say Friday) and do a program/pick-up for a group of new owners at once. This might help them minimize the impact on operations by concentrating the "guests" and new owner intro classes to once a week.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Heck yeah, I'll drive down there with my Bolt and an empty car trailer. Hook the trailer up to the truck, drive the car on, and drive home. 400 mile trip, would probably have to stop three times with the Bolt and trailer, and only once on the way home with the Truck.

Sponsored

KWK

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Silverado, Chevy Equinox
Occupation
Business owner, Construction related companies
I would definitely take factory delivery and would absolutely enjoy a factory tour. Short trip from Iowa, make the trip home a scenic river tour of the Mississippi.....

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
I forgot to mention reducing or eliminating the destination charge might tip the scales in favor of making the trip. If I can choose between paying say $500 in destination charges or flying to Illinois and picking up the car, I would be far more likely to go pick up the car. This might make more sense for Rivian if they selected people who were less convenient to deliver to. I'm in SoCal, so I would probably be easy to deliver to.

$500 in destination charges sounds high to me. It costs me about $20 per "fill-up" with my LR Model 3. How far away are you from the factory?

OP
OP

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
$500 in destination charges sounds high to me. It costs me about $20 per "fill-up" with my LR Model 3. How far away are you from the factory?
You paid $1200 for your Model 3 destination (& doc) fee.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
You paid $1200 for your Model 3 destination (& doc) fee.
I mis-interpreted your post. I thought you were referring to battery (destination) charging on the way home.
Sponsored